·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can Canwest afford it?

Just shows how out of touch the various government agencies are.:rolleyes: Canwest is swimming in red ink at the moment and the CRTC approves NEW STATIONS for the network?? :confused: Hello?? :eek: The CRTC should have reserved judgement until such time as Canwest returns to profitability again. Canwest does not need these stations to become profitable again, it just has to manage what it has correctly and stop biting off more than it can chew.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I thought they did. So lets change that to Shaw HD customers in Calgary and Edmonton will have simulcasts (provided of course Shaw picks up the HD variants)!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just shows how out of touch the various government agencies are.:rolleyes: Canwest is swimming in red ink at the moment and the CRTC approves NEW STATIONS for the network?? :confused: Hello?? :eek: The CRTC should have reserved judgement until such time as Canwest returns to profitability again. Canwest does not need these stations to become profitable again, it just has to manage what it has correctly and stop biting off more than it can chew.
If you read the release correctly, the approval is NOT for NEW STATIONS but for Global Edmonton and Global Calgary to acquire Digital transmitters that will trasmit programming in a Digital/High Definition format. Beginning with Primetime Programming, the stations will eventually carry news in both markets in a Widescreen format. Eventually, when the graphics/news gathering equipment is updated, the newscasts will be in full High Definition.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Interesting. It was one or two weeks between the time CTV Calgary received the licence and turned on their digital transmitter. Can we expect Global digital OTA to be live within the same time frame?

·
Registered
103 Posts
So you're saying that Global Calgary and Edmonton shouldn't be allowed to have a HD signal? Right now, the only local HD Channel we have in Calgary is CFCN (CTV), while other centers like Vancouver, and Toronto have multiple local HD channels. Albertans want local HD channels as well.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from TVProducerguy?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Ahem. No we don't. Not if it means sim-subbing! Heck I don't watch anything on local channels except for the news.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Did the CRTC put the local newscast as a condition of license.They should have before Global decides to make more cuts.Why so little power again just to get simsub.
They should be forced to match their analog signal range in each city.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI,
  • CFCN -TV Calgary - average effective radiated power (ERP) of 124,000 watts.
  • CICT-TV Calgary - average effective radiated power (ERP) of 3,200 watts.
  • CITV-TV Edmonton - average effective radiated power (ERP) of 3,700 watts.
Will anybody be able to get the Canwest stations unless they live very close to the transmitters?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Technically they are "new" stations

They are "new" stations as they have to have different programming than the what is on the analog stations. 14 hours worth, at the start, is in the decision. Global will have to buy new equipment, which can run into the millions of dollars very quickly.:eek: This, combined with their current business problems, may be the straw that breaks the back of the company. I do think that the CRTC would be doing its job if it looked at the financial capability of a company before granting licenses. They have done this for other applications and denied them because of financial concerns they had. Why should Global or CTV be treated any differently? Canada is not switching to digital for quite a while, so why rush. As to where I am from, not sure how that is revelent to anything. But, if it helps, I do work as a producer in the Canadian TV industry in Toronto.:cool:

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
They are "new" stations as they have to have different programming than the what is on the analog stations. 14 hours worth, at the start, is in the decision.
No, there is no new programming requirement. ALL transitional TV licenses have the same MAXIMUM 14 hour requirement -- no MORE than 14 hours can be different. In practice, there are geerally no differences, although in the past some programming has been different -- for example on the CBC, an HD hockey game instead of another game that was shown on the analog channel.

The CRTC is not forcing GLobal to implement these licenses[ they have 24 months}, but in the case of Calgary where the post-transition channel is the same as the current transitonal channel, the equipment is going to have to be bought anyway. And since Global's national master control I believe is in Calgary, I don't think there is much more equipment to buy other than the transmitter chain and upgraded STL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You are right.

There is no "new" programming requirement...actually I never said there was. I said "different programming" which can be just different shows that what is on the analog station at the same time. It's so that the digital channel does not just become a repeater for the other channel. :D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
FYI,
Will anybody be able to get the Canwest stations unless they live very close to the transmitters?
Not surprising Global cheaps out yet again. Just enough power to qualify for simsubbing, at least in the downtown core.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Not surprising Global cheaps out yet again. Just enough power to qualify for simsubbing, at least in the downtown core.
Until the CRTC starts requiring a "good faith effort" for Canadian broadcasting (which they haven't either under Liberal or Conservative governments) Canadian TV is doomed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
FYI,
Also IC DB shows that it will be broadcasted from 22 metres... WILL ANYONE BE POSSIBLE TO RECIEVE CITV IN THAT HEIGHT??

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know that Global Edmonton was changing their news studio/ production center to HDTV capable last yr at this time. I think they were done last summer or early fall.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not yet as they are not broadcasting yet.......I guess I should phone them and ask them when they will start.

I got this information from watching the 6pm news everyday and the news anchors were commenting that the construction of the new HDTV capable studio was making things a mess (constuction zone!) around their work area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts