Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I'm curious about something?

According to the CRTC "approval list" of US channels that are allowed in Canada, there are several not carried for what ever reason on Canadian providers.

But?

At the same time if I'm not mistaken(and someonee correct me if I'm wrong here) the CRTC also states that a US channel(not sure about a Canadian one), if it competes(is the same style of channel)with a Canadian version of that channel, that its not allowed in Canada?

If this is so why does the list say that Comedy Centeral, The Weather Channel ,CMT US Version, (although there was a big issue with this one quite a few years ago)and a few more are still allowed in Canada?

How can you have it both ways?

I mean on one hand yes there allowed in, then on the other hand no there not?

So which is it? are they? or aren't they? allowed in Canada?

I wish the CRTC woukd make up its mind?

·
Registered
311 Posts
the last time i ask about cmt us version as you mention above, the crtc mention to me that it was the canadian version that was allowed. What I don't get, is if it is the canadian version, why not mention CMT CANADA than instead of just cmt. maybe it will be less missunderstood.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually when CMT first launched it was the US version, then CMT Canada(first knowbn as ?? can't remember the name) but was owned by Corus and they wanted to have providers drop CMT US and have the Canadian one only, still remeber the that it caused a BIG ISSUE in the US and all hell broke loose.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'd also like to see Lifetime with original programming, and The U.S. Weather channel which are both approved by the CRTC and have been for years now.

·
Banned
844 Posts
MCIBUS,

Are you sure you are looking at the right list because CMT US is not on the approved list?! It was removed when CMT Canada (which was originally called NCN) launched, the same way Food Network US was removed when Food Network Canada launched. The only American channels that are on the list that are not currently available on any provider are the following:

C-Span
Comedy Central
Court TV (now called TruTV)
Lifetime Television
Oxygen
TV Land
The Weather Channel

These were all added many years ago, probably when this list was first made up. Several of these channels should not even be on there IMO- C-Span, Comedy Central & The Weather Channel specifically. CTVglobemedia has signed an exclusive contract with Viacom (who own Comedy Central), giving them access to pretty much all Comedy Central programming. This negates the possibility of anyone adding this channel because most of the programming, if not all, will be blacked out. This list needs an overhaul IMO, there some channels with incorrect names as well as some foreign services that are on there that no longer exist.

I'd also like to see Lifetime with original programming, and The U.S. Weather channel
Why would you want to watch an American weather channel in Canada?! They don't give forecasts for Canada so what would be the point of watching this channel?!

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember seeing the list some time ago 5+ years ago I was sure there was more then what you posted, but still if Comedy Network is available why is Comedy Centeral still on the list?

The funny part is Oxgen (not sure if thats the OWN or not) but stiil I wonder if lets say Rogers tried to bring in TV LAND US, would Deja View & Comedy Gold ask the CRTC not allow it although its on the approval list?

Like I said not sure of the exact list as I've seen different versions of it with differentexemption TCM,AMC & Spike come to mind or at least according to that Wiki site it states there "different" version of the US ones?

Thanks for the link.

Interesting some of those lok interestting like the France 24 English & French, not sure whjat the channel is though.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Like I said not sure of the exact list as I've seen different versions of it
The link I posted is for the official list, you probably had been looking at older versions of it.

Interesting some of those lok interesting like the France 24 English & French, not sure what the channel is though.
France 24 is an international news channel, available in both English & French. Its like Al Jazeera English, everyone nowadays appears to be launching their own English language news channel. I am surprised that Videotron has not added this yet?!

·
Registered
301 Posts
What I wonder is why no cable systems carry these? To get on these lists, doesn't a cable provider have to petition the CRTC to allow these? Therefore, these channels should be carried on a cable system somewhere.

·
Banned
844 Posts
I'd like the U.S. Weather Channel because I travel their regularly, and they have interesting features.
Oh, well in that case its understandable that you would want this channel however with a Canadian weather service on the air, the odds of ever seeing The Weather Channel are probably slim to none.

What I wonder is why no cable systems carry these?
Various reasons such as rights issues, US channel having no desire to launch their channel in Canada and no BDU being interested in offering any of these channels. Keep in mind all of the above mentioned channels were added to the list a long time ago, things have changed since then. Comedy Central, as I mentioned, has a deal with the Comedy Network giving them access to their programing, while Court TV & TV Land both had partnered with a Canadian broadcaster to launch a Canadian version of the channel. Of course both of these no longer exist now, so its possible you may see TV Land US at some point, *if* they are intersted in broadcasting here?!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
As for weather channels(s), I seriously doubt whether there's a market for 1, let alone 2 weather channels in Canada. Full disclosure... I am an employee of MSC (Meteorological Service of Canada; part of Environment Canada). I may be more "into" weather than the average person. But, aside from a few "weather wonks", there really isn't a market for weather channels in Canada. The Weather Network would fold in a few months if their friends at the CRTC didn't ram them down the throats of cable subscribers. Their problem is twofold...
  1. It's a small niche to begin with. There simply aren't that many people in in Canada that interested in weather that they would VOLUNTARILY pay for a cable weather channel.
  2. There are tons of sources of free weather forecasts, that satisfy 99% of the requirements of most Canadians. E.g...
There simply isn't a business case for Weather Channel in a true free market. They're the SCO of weather, trying to charge money for something that most people currently get free.

·
Registered
510 Posts
@Walter Dnes: I love weather. I even at one point wanted to become a Meteorologist :D but yeah I agree with you. Weather can be accessed via many websites, newspapers, etc. If The Weather Channel became available in Canada, then TWN would most-likely go down a bit in views. Do they air weather movies on The Weather Channel? That would be nice if TWN did that too once in a while.

Also, I might be wrong, but wasn't TNT on the list at once point of approved channels?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for TWC true its more geared towards the US market, but as for TWN I have yet to hear any Radio sation annouce highway counditions(actual comnditions) in Winter, Ski reports, Marine forcasts, alergee forcasts.

I like TWN it gives more detail then your local Radio/TV weather report.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I get the weather channel (us).I find it shows the weather for my area better than the CAN. one.The weather network will spend 10 sec. on the maritimes and 30 min. on the rest of CAN.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts