Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here they are, after reading the dslr helps and tutorials here and elsewhere, and trying my hands at different shots and settings

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good use of depth of field in some shots... your best chickadee picture yet.

DOF a bit thin in the 1st pic of Post #2.

Much improved over the blurfest that you had in your previous posts....

Looks good, keep practicing.

Peter

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nice shot as others have mentioned. The blacks look good but the snow appears "blown out" - i.e. it has little or no detail. This may be a conscious decision on your part (or an artifact of placing the image on-line) and if so, it is just artistic license. However, this is one of the places where shooting in RAW will let you recover some of the highlight detail. In terms of framing I find this shot a a little too centered in the frame. A little space on the right would give the sled somewhere to move in to but the shot works as the child is off centre.
Very nice - congratulations! Again, you've filled the frame - a little more space around the Chickadee might have worked better and you might consider cropping this into a landscape.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I really like this one. It works well on it's own. Cropping it slightly tighter to get rid of the white in the top right corner might improve it but only slightly.

Nice. Cropping it so there is less space on the left might work better as the snail would have something to move in to. Also "dodging" the head to reduce the brightness might strengthen the image.

Very nice. I like the contrast between the bold blue in the foreground and the muted hues in the background. A little more depth of focus in the foreground might have worked better. Cropping just a tiny bit more to eliminate the light patch in the upper left corner might help too. I find if you have objects that have a high contrast in the corners they tend to lead your eye out of the frame which usually distracts you from the subject.

All-in-all very nice work. You've improved a lot in a short period and should be justly proud of these images. Some of my points are nit-picky and shouldn't be taken as correct - these are just my observations on YOUR interpretation of the scene. But I firmly believe that we can constantly learn from examining all of our images to try to figure out what works and what doesn't and why. The why can be the hardest part.

Sometimes images that we compose carefully just don't work and sometimes images that the "rules" say shouldn't work do, and powerfully so.

Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye" is an excellent book on composition as is "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson.

And a P.S. to the Moderator who dinged me last time I replied including images in the reply: - 1. These images are not hosted on DHC and thus consume no bandwidth on Hugh's Servers. 2. These images load immediately as they are already cached in your browser so the load time is immaterial for clients on low-bandwidth connections.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GordonB...thanks for your sincere critic of these pics, I really appreciate it. I have taken note of all the points you made and would try to apply them next time. Back to that bird pic, how would you make that into a "landscape", and also take out the intruding obstruction in front?

Do you have any of your shots online?

cheers

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
GordonB...thanks for your sincere critic of these pics, I really appreciate it. I have taken note of all the points you made and would try to apply them next time. Back to that bird pic, how would you make that into a "landscape", and also take out the intruding obstruction in front?

Do you have any of your shots online?

cheers
Lima,

Most of my shots are event photography I do that involves other people's children so I don't have those publicly accessible.

I do have some stuff up Here but it's pretty thin.

Converting the picture to landscape just involves using whatever software you have for editing to crop the picture to 4x6 or 5x7 aspect ratio so it looks something like this:

Best I could do with MS PhotoEditor at work

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Gordon b. Some of those family gallery portraits are great. What did u use to take those? I assume that was in your pre digital days.

I glanced through your Cuba pics. Very nice

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
520 Posts
Gordon b. Some of those family gallery portraits are great. What did u use to take those? I assume that was in your pre digital days. I glanced through your Cuba pics. Very nice

Sent from my iPhone
I assume you mean the photos in the "Family History" gallery - all of those predate me - I'm not THAT old ;-)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PeteeC...nice pics of the family, and it looks like you had a wicked time in Disney? We are of there in January, staying at the animal kingdom resort and I'll be running the Goofy challenge marathon.

Gordon...nice pictures of your travels. Mrs Lima is actually from Greece by origin, and your pics are really farmiliar to us in terms of locations :) I have just acquired photoshop elements 9 and installed it. How do I go about brushing out the green pole near the bird's rear and front ( i.e which tool is needed for that in PS elements )?

Cheers

·
Registered
520 Posts
...I have just acquired photoshop elements 9 and installed it. How do I go about brushing out the green pole near the bird's rear and front ( i.e which tool is needed for that in PS elements )?
Try the spot healing brush (CTRL+J) but you will probably need to use the clone stamp tool. - Always work on a copy

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Over all not bad.

Here is my view, on the first set the 1st photo is a little over exposed

The 2nd photo is very good I like this. :)

The 3rd photo, looks a little soft or out of focus. Not sure if you did not use a fast enough shutter speed.

The 2nd set is good no faults to my eye. ;)

The 3rd set and last photo the dof is too small. Focus is just on the nose, I would have stepped down the lens so more would be in focus

The 4th set, the first and last are good, the 2nd photo looks out of focus.

The good thing about digital, you can keep taking and taking photos. The more photos you take the better you will get.

Keep them coming.

·
Registered
520 Posts
...I have just acquired photoshop elements 9 and installed it. How do I ...
Run, Don't walk to Chapters and get a copy of PhotoShop Elements 9 Book for Digital Photographers by Scot Kelby.

This is a really good book if you just need to get up and running quick. It is task-oriented. It doesn't cover the menus, the workspace, or anything like that just "how do I do this?".

Or look at taking Basic Digital Photography at Algonquin. I took this a few years ago and highly recommend it - after the tax breaks for being a student and being able to claim a portion of Child Care expenses it cost me $75 net and, as a bonus, I was able to buy PhotoShop CS Suite at the Student Rate of $325

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you fellas...It's nice to see people actually giving their thoughts and offering advice, rather than posting a link directing you elsewhere

Cheers

1 - 20 of 37 Posts