Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
521 - 540 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Per a Crave email newsletter I got today, Crave is now available on PlayStation 4.

I guess it took them losing the Sony Pictures pay-1 contract (to Prime) to finally make a deal for Sony devices...

·
Super Moderator
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
Crave offers previews of certain series through TV providers' Video-On-Demand, usually as a separate menu item, distinct from the subscription service. These might include the first episode of a season or the first season of an older series.

Showtime recently announced a sampling of their programming in the U.S. until January 11, much of which is also available for free in Canada through TV providers.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Looks like we'll have to wait to see Warner Bros. 2021 movies. Per Warner Bros. to release all 2021 films to HBO Max, theatres at same time — but only in the U.S.

"As with Wonder Woman 1984, Warner Bros. has decided that in the United States, these films will be released in both theatres and on HBO Max (for a limited period of time). The concurrent window on HBO Max is restricted solely to the United States. Warner Bros. is not making such a window available in any other territory, including Canada.

While these movies will be released initially in theatres in Canada, they will be coming to Crave following their standard theatrical windows."

Warner Bros. is delusional if they think Canadians are going to movie theatres in any great numbers before this pandemic is under control.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It's not a matter of delusional what Warner/HBO Max can do in the US is different from what can be done in Canada. HBO Max is not offered here, they could theoretically try to work with Cineplex or even Bell/Crave to offer the streaming option as a co-release in theatres but the streaming and theatrical agreements they have with Canadian distributors may preclude that. It's a separate market.

·
Super Moderator
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 ·
Warner is also getting a lot of pushback from the U.S. theater chains and well as the studios that put up the majority of the financing for some of the films.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but several movies that are still in their theatrical window are available for rental in Canada as an "Early Release" from TV VOD providers, as well as Cineplex, Apple and Google. The going price seems to be $19.99.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It's not a matter of delusional what Warner/HBO Max can do in the US is different from what can be done in Canada.
It is delusional (and deeply irresponsible) to encourage people to go to movie theatres. Either delay the non-U.S. theatrical release or don't release the movie in non-U.S. theatres and start streaming after the U.S. theatrical window is closed. They shouldn't be playing Wonder Woman in U.S. theatres either but Americans gonna American.

·
Super Moderator
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Crave is Now Available on PlayStation 5

Bell Media confirmed today that the Crave app is now available on PlayStation 5 consoles. Launching on PS5 and PS4 creates additional reach for Crave, which is also available to Canadians with access to the Internet at Crave.ca, the Crave App, via participating television providers, and other digital media players including Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, select Samsung Smart TVs, and Xbox One. Additional platforms will be announced soon.

·
Super Moderator
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
As with Wonder Woman 1984, Warner Bros. has decided that in the United States, these films will be released in both theatres and on HBO Max (for a limited period of time). The concurrent window on HBO Max is restricted solely to the United States. Warner Bros. is not making such a window available in any other territory, including Canada.
Wonder Woman 1984 will be available for rent on-demand starting Dec. 25. (Rogers) Not related to Crave, just a follow-up for where to find those movies if you can't go to the theatre.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I'm finding Crave TV content increasingly limited to be honest. And when it is available, it's much lower quality than even the Blurays - let alone 4K.

I doubt I'm renewing it at this stage. Last series I tried to watch was such poor quality, I went and got Bluray.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
It looks like the Canadian "culture" that the CRTC is protecting includes limited TV to 720p, at least according to Bell which seems to be the major benefactor of CRTC regulations.

I'm also wondering why Apple hardware gets so much special treatment from Bell. It's a relatively small segment of the marketplace, especially when it applies to streaming and TV.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Apparently, there’s an update to that reference that I quoted earlier, and a limited selection of 4K content has also been launched on Fire TV, Android TV, and Chromecast, so it’s not limited to Apple TV.

·
Super Moderator
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·
Bell Media announced today that the Crave app is now available on select LG Smart TVs across Canada, providing customers with direct access to programming from HBO, HBO MAX, SHOWTIME, and STARZ, plus Crave Originals, Hollywood-hit movies, and French-language TV and films from SUPER ÉCRAN.

LG Smart TV owners – with select models from 2017 and newer – can now access Crave on their television’s webOS platform by opening the Crave app directly using their remote, or by saying “Crave” into their LG Magic Remote control.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Just tried it and it works. Hopefully that means they'll add CTV and TSN - though they never have for Roku.

Though personally, I think I'm going to drop Crave - the amount of content has been diminishing since they added HBO and STARZ (which I don't have). And a lot of archive content that previously would have gone to Crave seems to be going to CTV instead.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I think I'm going to drop Crave - the amount of content has been diminishing since they added HBO and STARZ (which I don't have).
Crave (AKA TMN) hasn't been worth the subscription since HBO was added. Rebranding the two retro movie channels to STARZ (at extra cost) pushed value for money into a sinkhole. Crave itself seems have dropped any pretense at carrying anything but low rated 'B' movies. Showtime and, especially, HBO content appears to have deteriorated from critically acclaimed movies and series to a lot of cheap drama and reality shows. STARZ doesn't seem to be any better. Crave + HBO is only worth the subscription to get the streaming service, which has a good back catalog of HBO and Showtime content in addition to newer shows and movies.

·
Super Moderator
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
Crave Launches Mobile-Only Product .

Crave announced today that it has launched a mobile-only product, available directly to consumers, and in the future through participating wireless carriers, at $9.99. Both the Crave Mobile ($9.99) and the existing Crave Total ($19.99) plans deliver the same great content and a customized choice of how to watch. Customers who choose to sign up to Crave through their service provider, should contact their provider directly for pricing and availability.

“We’re always looking for ways to deliver the best content to consumers, in the way they want to enjoy it,” said Karine Moses, Senior Vice President Content and News, Bell Media and Vice-Chair Quebec, Bell. “We are thrilled that all Crave subscribers can now access the complete collection of Crave content, from buzzy new titles to our robust library through our new Crave Mobile plan.”

Whether a subscriber chooses Crave Mobile or Crave Total, they will have access to HBO, HBO Max originals, SHOWTIME, the biggest Hollywood blockbusters, water cooler series like RUPAUL’S DRAG RACE, classics such the entire FRIENDS library, the best collection of French-language content in Canada, the latest originals from Crave, and more.

STARZ remains available through participating service providers and directly to consumers as a separate add-on.

Crave is available through participating service providers and through two plan options available direct to consumer, and in the future via participating wireless carriers, Crave Mobile ($9.99) and Crave Total ($19.99).

Crave Mobile ($9.99)
  • Subscribers can enjoy the entire Crave content library on the web or a mobile device only, a single device at a time
  • Available directly through Crave.ca and in the future through participating wireless carriers
Crave Total ($19.99)
  • Subscribers can enjoy the entire Crave content library on the screen of their choice, from televisions to smartphones, four streams at the same time on up to five registered devices.
  • Available directly through Crave.ca and participating service providers
To see Crave’s list of supported devices, click here.

Customers who subscribe to Crave through their service provider, will continue to enjoy the entire Crave content library on the screen of their choice with multiple devices and streams. New customers who choose to sign up to Crave through their service provider, should contact their provider directly for pricing and availability.

See the full press release for highlighted content.

·
Super Moderator
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
I noticed there was no mention of what we informally call "Crave Basic", so I checked www.crave.ca/en/subscribe and confirmed it is now longer offered. If you scroll down the page, you'll see the only 2 choices are Crave Mobile ($9.99) and Crave Total ($19.99). I'm not sure what will happen to existing "Crave Basic" subscribers.

Here is the summary of Crave Mobile
Ideal for individuals who primarily watch content on their mobile devices.

Available on web and mobile app only
Enjoy the entire Crave content library
Video resolution: Good (compared to Best for Crave Total)
x Casting not available
x Downloads not available
1 Stream at a time
1 Registered device

I should point out that all sites that I know of that allow you to watch on a web browser don't stop you from plugging a full size TV into the HDMI port of your PC.

521 - 540 of 549 Posts