Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
501 - 520 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My tv is not ‘smart’. I have Roku devices. So my choice is now to subscribe to Crave via Rogers or via Roku.
Direct streaming requires my spare laptop near my tv...I do that for the Perimeter Institute presentations but I’d prefer not to do it all the time.

I will subscribe if only to binge watch the Sopranos!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
They're wrong, you can use any device with your crave, when you activate the device ie. Roku you have to use the cable provider sign in on activation, I use my Smart TV and Amazon Fire Stick with my Rogers sign in. Just have to sign in and put in the device code like you would on anything else.

·
Registered
705 Posts
They're wrong, you can use any device with your crave, when you activate the device ie. Roku you have to use the cable provider sign in on activation, I use my Smart TV and Amazon Fire Stick with my Rogers sign in. Just have to sign in and put in the device code like you would on anything else.

It isn’t working for me with Ignite. It used to work with Digital cable. Are you using Ignite?

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
See the post by RogersAndy in the previous link. Because Ignite TV is a totally separate system, Rogers has to your associate your Ignite TV account number with your MyRogers account. Then external services like Crave that check your Rogers account will find the correct entitlement.

·
Registered
705 Posts
See the post by RogersAndy in the previous link. Because Ignite TV is a totally separate system, Rogers has to your associate your Ignite TV account number with your MyRogers account. Then external services like Crave that check your Rogers account will find the correct entitlement.

Yes. Support fixed it. Clearly they don’t all understand how it works. :(

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #513 ·
...Crave announced today that it’s providing one month free for any new subscribers with access to the internet, expanding from seven to 30 days the trial period that Canadians can sample the service. Available through April 30...
I saw a promo on TV. It sounds like you can still get the 30-day free trial if you sign up in May.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Sorry if this isn't quite in the right place. I use the Crave app on my Samsung smart TV. I find the picture a little soft compared to the other video apps....maybe 720. Also the audio is stereo/prologic. So I was wondering it its just the content I'm watching. Is there Crave content I can select that is 1080 and 5.1. The Samsung Crave app has no information option and I don't know what its limitations are.
thx

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
This was discussed in this thread in April 2019. Samsung TVs should support 1080p - make sure your connection is fast enough, especially if you use Wi-Fi. I haven't been following their Twitter account to see if there have been any other improvements. They usually respond to questions if you tweet, but they typically don't give any clues about future plans.
"Apple TV Generation 4, Samsung TV and Amazon FireTV are now available on 1080p and the video quality we deliver will depend on the content and your Internet Connection, because Crave will send you the highest quality stream your connection can support."

I also saw this "We are working on bringing support to more platforms, like Android TV and PS4. You can always keep an eye on our feed for updates."

Does Crave have 5.1 surround sound? (Crave.ca help)
Yes! We're rolling out 5.1 surround sound video now.
It is currently available for certain titles on:
1. Apple TV Gen 4 devices
2. Amazon FireTV
3. Android TV
4. Facebook Portal
5. Roku
6. Chromecast on the following devices:
  • Android tablets and mobile phones

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
I know Netflix has spent millions researching video quality and optimizing bit rates, so they can probably deliver a 1080p quality picture at a lower bit rate than Crave.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I agree, nobody matches Netflix for video and sound quality on supported streaming devices. In contrast, Bell has spent millions on reducing video quality on its services. The difference is quite striking when watching one of Netflix's 4K, DD+ programs on a Chromecast, even in 1080p HD.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Streaming services often have different capabilities and support with different devices. That can be an executive decision based on strategic alliances (Bell seems to have one with Apple) and other factors such as device popularity or ease of developing apps.

501 - 520 of 549 Posts