Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are debating going without a regular cable provider but currently have Crave through Telus which provides us all the TV shows we normally watch.

If we cancel Telus and just get Crave directly through them, what TV channels would it encompass?
Ex. I know it has HBO but we watch a lot of shows on FX & Showtime, would their shows be on Crave?

I cannot find anything anywhere that lists what stations Crave get's their shows from besides their website saying that I should check with my local service provider.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had read that forum while going down the rabbit hole - sounds like the only thing Crave has is Showtime, HBO, Super Channel, Starz, MTV, and random movies. The additional items we currently get must be because we are signed up to Telus so once that's gone so will the additional shows. Was hoping that someone would prove me wrong.

·
Super Moderator
56,768 Posts
Sorry, MTV appears to be new - MTV programming, not MTV.

Still not sure about Super Channel - seems to be $15 extra (separate)

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
The best way to answer the question is to sign up for Crave and see what is offered. The first month is usually free for new customers. It may be able to see what is offered by looking on the web site without subscribing.

Crave has various network programming (including all Star Trek variants and assorted other shows from Bell owned channels,) Crave Movies (including Showtime,) HBO, Starz and some syndicated shows. It also has some vintage movies and specials. It's basically like subscribing to Crave Movies + HBO + Starz and an OTT streaming service that has vintage movies and TV shows (the basic Crave package.) Some of the TV shows are current. It's available directly from Bell. Last time I looked Crave + Movies + HBO + STARZ cost $26. Bell also has an ad supported service called CTV GO that has additional TV shows and movies.

Crave does not have Super Channel shows or most other programming from channels not owned by Bell. Super Channel is available as an add-on to Prime Video with an Amazon Prime membership. Several other channels are available as an add-on to Prime Video.

FX is owned by Rogers and has a streaming service but it requires a TV service subscription. One option would be to subscribe to a cheap TV package from an independent company such as Teksavvy. Their basic TV service is $20 and adding a Pick 10 Pack for FX and other channels is $20. That will allow watching or streaming the subscribed channels which can include FX. They also sell Crave + Movies + HBO + STARZ for $20 which is cheaper than buying it directly from Bell. The catch is that a Teksavvy internet subscription is required and it's not available in some areas. I can't comment on the quality of the TV service either.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
They carry some, but not all, of Space's series, the day after it airs. In particular the Star Trek series. One reason I'll be dropping Space soon.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It depends on Crave package that you choose. There is Crave, Crave + HBO + movies and Crave + HBO + movies + Starz. For Crave by itself it contains all TV series on Crave channels (duh!) and selected shows from Bell portfolio of channel (CTV and CTV family of channels). Crave does not have anything under Rogers (e.g. City and FX) or Corus (e.g. Global, Showcase, W, History). I do not know if Rogers shows are available on streaming without TV subscription. For Corus, they do not have independent streaming platform (RIP Shomi), but they have a channel on Prime Video. You need to pay for the channel on top of your Prime subscription.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts