Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first noticed this with Fringe on CityTV but now I am noticing it on just about every show that is simulcast now.

The picture has a small black bar across the top. Either the picture is cut off or the picture is shifted down. It is not visible if you aren't using 1:1 pixel mapping.

It's not specific to any network as it happens on Fringe (Fox), Harry's Law (NBC), Castle (ABC). The shows are simulcast on City, OMNI, CTV respectively. It's not a problem with the shows themselves because the west coast channels which don't get simulcast are just fine; no black bar.

I am in Toronto. Surely other people must be noticing this?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Most people will not notice it because their sets overscan by about 5%-10%. Broadcasters count on it.

Crappy simulcasting
Tell me about it. You should have been with Bell about 3-4 years ago. Most HD shows were impossible to watch. There's also a bad simsub thread around here somewhere. If all it was most of the time was a measly black line I would be ecstatic. I've seen threads that were hundreds of pages long detailing bad simsubs and those were just for one provider.

·
Super Moderator
56,532 Posts
Whenever a programme is "handled" there is a possibility for picture shift. It happens a lot on 4:3 upconverts too. Most new TVs have about 2-3% overscan so that you don't see this garbage. I recommend not using the 1:1 pixel map setting for TV programming for precisely this reason. Here's the FAQ on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=793236#post793236

1 - 3 of 3 Posts