Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while watching TV, I normally do not tune to CP24, but just cus nothing interesting was on I DID. To my surprise, their Camera was showing one of their news anchors Anamorphicly Squeezed in the little Video Window. Since I still had the remote in my hand, I invoked my TV's Stretch mode, and stetched the 4:3 window to fill in my 16x9 TV, and news anchor in the little video window had the proper aspect ratio to my TV. Then when they switched to another video feed, the anamorpic squeeze was gone.

Is this a sign that they're studios and cameras have been upgraded? They need some way to make their broadcast fill a 16x9 TV sets but at the same time, they do not want any information missing on their 4:3 SD simulcast.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
They can do whatever they wish to fill the screen but how about improving the content! People who talk about 3D television giving you headaches have not watched CP24.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lindsay. I would not want to watch CP24 in 3D. I'ld go dizzy or blind

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Going back prior to the CTVgm purchase of CHUM, it was talked about that CP24 would relaunch as 16x9 or have a CP24HD feed with a different screen fill... More 16x9 is always good to me...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
In Europe, most stations have switched to 16:9, even those without a HD feed, so it makes sense for us to do the same. Just look at DW on Rogers, it's a 16:9 feed, yet it's not HD, but the picture ain't bad at all. I just wish we would have feeds like this.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, it would be nice if more TV stations just went 16x9 full time, and even more nice if the old STBs were updated to do proper anamorphic display on 16x9 sources instead of letterboxing.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I haven't seen any applications for CP24 to go HD. Though there was a recent application approval for The Weather Network to broadcast in HD.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
and even more nice if the old STBs were updated to do proper anamorphic display
You want it to look compressed??? If you have a 4:3, you can have either letterbox or chopped of sides. If you use "anamorphic display", you'll get tall skinny people etc. It would be nice if the HD/zoom button could be used to switch between letterbox and full height, chopped sides on SD sets. Currently, that button doesn't do anything if a SD set is connected (on Rogers anyway). This way the viewer could select the desired mode.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Yeah, it would be nice if more TV stations just went 16x9 full time, and even more nice if the old STBs were updated to do proper anamorphic display on 16x9 sources instead of letterboxing.
I believe my old Starchoice boxes could possibly support 16:9 anamorphic. The option is there. It would be up to the stations to provide an anamorphic flag, and the provider to pass it on.

For other boxes, it just might not be worthwhile to pull out their dev tools.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
^^^^
Why anamorphic? ATSC already supports 16:9 SD. Anamorphic refers to squeezing a wide aspect ratio picture into a narrow aspect ratio medium. You'd need it if you were trying to sqeeze a 16:9 picture into a 4:3 frame, but it's not necessary with ATSC. Ideally, a 16:9 image would be transmitted and the STB box could select letterbox or full height, chopped sides for SD sets. HD sets would just display the SD 16:9 picture.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If everything went to 16:9 that's fine with me personally, but what about 4:3 CRT junkies like my parents and grandmother (all of whom have gone far out of their way to get "new" CRT televisions in the past 2-3 years)? Everything will look wrong on those sets.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
^^^^
Anamorphic will not make it look better. As I mentioned, it's just a method to squeeze a wide image into a narrow frame. Viewed as is, it will look squashed horizontally. To look right, it has to be stretched back to the original aspect ratio. This is necessary when sending 16:9 video over some medium that only supports 4:3. On the otherhand, ATSC supports 16:9 without resorting to any such tricks. Viewing an anamorphic picture on an 4:3 set will not look right, unless you expand it and either chop off the sides or letterbox it. It is not a magic cure all to put a wide screen image on a narrow screen set. Since ATSC supports 16:9, just send the video that way and then let the viewer select how to display it (letterbox vs chopped sides).

BTW, I have a DVD player that has to be manually switched between modes for wide screen or standard. There have been a few times when I've forgotten to switch and the picture didn't look quite right. ;-)

I see similar when people have HD sets but won't get a HD STP. I can often see objects that should be round appear oval. One, which I saw in a store yesterday, was showing a soccer game from Ch 5 in Toronto, so they were stretching a 4:3 analog signal, which they had received OTA. I have no idea why they simply didn't use 5.1 and get a proper 16:9 HD signal. Given that they were in the Port Credit area of Mississauga, they could almost look out the window and see the CN Tower, where Ch 5 is broadcast from.

Bottom line, streched or squeezed video looks bad and should be avoided (yes, I'm aware of the concerns for plasma sets).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its funny how people dont want anamorphic image in a 4:3 frame, but you go to anyones house who has a new tv, and guarenteed 9 times out of 10 you will see they are stretching a 4:3 frame to fit in a 16:9 display. even when i go to mcdonalds or the sports bars, i see CP24 but stretched to fill the 16:9 display people are starting to think its normal?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
^^^^
I've often seen that too in bars and other locations where they seem to have HD available. You'll even see it in the ads for CP24 on CP24. On the other hand, my dentist's office is 16:9 HD. Now, if only they'd do something about the shows they pick (I ask them to turn off the TV, when I'm in the chair, as I'm already suffering enough!). ;-)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Clearly none of us wants a stretched picture if we can avoid it.

On a 4x3 TV, the STB will apply letterboxing on-the-fly the same way a DVD player does. On a 16x9 TV, it will display the image filling the screen. The important thing is for broadcasters to flag their broadcast correctly as 16x9 or 4x3 so the STB knows what to do with the image.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Oh man, this new look CP24 is brutal. It's 16:9 inside a 4:3 box and it looks unfinished. Ugh. Hopefully this is an intermediate step on the way to true a 16x9 HD signal, like CityNews Headlines on Rogers 566.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
CP24 is on HD on Bell Fibe today its on 1503 as per news release today

http://www.cp24.com/news/cp24-launch...creen-1.974353

Web Staff, cp24.com
Published Thursday, Sep. 27, 2012 4:54PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, Sep. 27, 2012 5:01PM EDT
Twelve years ago, CP24 pushed the viewer experience to a place few people had imagined possible on their screen. Before long, our screen became the destination for all Torontonians who wanted to know at a glance everything that was pertinent to their day – weather, traffic and the latest breaking news.
Today, we’ve launched an HD version of our screen that not only includes a fresh look in our news flow, data and features.
Using the most sophisticated graphics technology on the market, CP24 is now able to customize its screen at a moment’s notice in order to give our viewers the most relevant information when they need it.
Between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 6 p.m., viewers will notice a two-line enhanced stock market ticker which features the latest data from both the TSX and NYSE.
After 6 p.m., our stock ticker transforms into an enhanced sports line displaying more than just sports scores. Sports fans will now have a play-by-play report on their favourite teams, including points earned, league updates and standings.
On the right side of the screen, you’ll notice all your favourites, including concert and event listings, are still right where you want them.
You turn to us for all the information you need and we take that responsibility seriously.
Our new screen is available for all our viewers. To optimize your experience in a non-HD environment, make sure to adjust the aspect ratio on either your TV screen or set-top box provided by your television service provider.
“We’re thrilled to take this next step with our viewers,” said Brian Carr, CP24’s director of news production. “Our in-house team of designers have worked hard to deliver a new generation of story-telling.”
Lane Steinhauer, Bell Media’s senior director, engineering, led the eight-person development team who brought this project to life.
“Twelve years ago, we were the first to push the envelope with a screen that didn’t need any audio. That look has since been copied by news organizations around the world,” he said. “This is our next step. It’s been a long time coming and I’m very excited about it.”
CP24 is currently available in HD on Bell Fibe TV, Channel 1503.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts