Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else think this (Sports Cancellations, delays, etc) is a bit over exaggerated?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Broadcast, Specialty, and Movie channels should see a surge in their viewership, as more and more people become home-bound. Bad for sports channels but great for home entertainment suppliers.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
anyone else think this (Sports Cancellations, delays, etc) is a bit over exaggerated?
I don't recall all this from when SARS was around or any other infectious disease. However, what is absolutely disgusting is this.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I agree with LONSat. If Sophie Grégoire Trudeau can get it, allegedly while on a speaking trip to London, UK, then the threat is very real. Sports teams could just as easily spread and contract the virus while traveling for games. Even worse is the possible impact to sports fans in crowded arenas.

The facts are rolling in...
1. People who contract COVID-19 become contagious and spread the virus before feeling ill.
2. Most people experience mild symptoms and may not realize they are contagious and may infect others.
3. COVID-19 is very contagious and can spread easily to people within a few feet of an infected person or for up to several days from contaminated surfaces they have infected.
4. If allowed to spread rapidly, COVD-19 has the potential to overwhelm health care facilities and health care staff. That would result in higher death rates for people who need treatment and cannot obtain it. It would also create delays and cancellations for the treatment of other serious health conditions.
5. Health care workers are most at risk due to high exposure and need protecting gear. Equipment and supplies for treating COVID-19 are currently in short supply (partly due to panic buying and hoarding) so time is required to prepare for an increase in cases.
6. It will take 12 to 18 months to prepare a vaccine. If we can slow the spread of COVID19 for that long, most people can be inoculated.

What gets me is all the people who are still traveling for March break. How many are going to return in a week with COVID-19? How many people are they going to infect? Many destinations will be to countries or regions that have COVID-19 already circulating in the general population or have inadequate knowledge of actual infections levels due to lack of testing and preparation. That includes the US.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Both SARS and MERS (previous corona viruses) were contained before spreading to many people or countries. We are very fortunate they were because they have much higher mortality rates than COVID-19 or the flu. Neither were classed as a pandemic.

Due to the number of people and countries infected, COVID-19 spread is now classed as a pandemic. That's dangerous for two reasons. One is that the mortality rate is higher than the flu. The other is that it is a new virus so there is very little immunity in the general population. Combined with it's high transmission rate, that gives it the potential to infect most of the world's population in a very short time. That could be dire, especially in poorer countries. It would also cause social and economic disruption in richer countries.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
@gbamber: What makes you think chess players and their fans are immune? It's the gathering of people that is the problem and nothing to do with physical exertion.

·
Super Moderator
56,441 Posts
I never started a thread about Covid. What's going on here mods?
You posted your question in another thread and had I left it there it would have taken that thread off-topic. I therefore moved your post and started a new thread with your question, since I thought a lot of people would be interested.

I suppose I could have deleted your off-topic post and started this thread myself.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Sure be careful but really!.....

Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.

·
Super Moderator
56,441 Posts
I have to agree with the point that @gzink was attempting to make - in that "we" are currently willing to move heaven and earth and completely change our lifestyle (temporarily we hope), to combat something that (so far) affects significantly fewer people than many other killers.

In no way am I downplaying the fact that COVID-19 would/could become a significant killer. It has a mortality rate roughly an order of magnitude higher than the flu (affecting mostly the weak and elderly).

However, why is it we're willing to go to such great lengths to combat this one killer, but leave many other killers alone?

For example - obesity, smoking, gun violence, etc. Is it because we're used to these?

It's very similar (although certainly not identical to) people being extremely concerned (almost irrational) about airplane deaths when that number is several orders of magnitude lower than say car deaths, many of which could be prevented with proper driver training, travel infrastructure and car design.

If we're willing to do all this for COVID-19, why not those other killers that cause the deaths of millions of people every year?

Discuss...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
You personally can control obesity and smoking and depending on your circumstances, gun violence. For example, I am extremely unlikely to be affected by any of these three without changing my lifestyle. You can't control if you get COVID-19 unless you want to become a hermit or, less drastically, rely on society to implement temporary safeguards.

A good analogy is second-hand smoking. Society has no control over you destroying your own lungs, but when the dangers of second-hand smoke came to light, smoking in public places was comprehensively banned pretty darned quick.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts