Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent court ruling says that bypassing DRM is admissible as long it's done for legal purposes.

This court decision is expected to outrage anti-pirate societies like the MPAA, the RIAA, and lots of other outfits that will undoubtedly feel it. A judge handed out a decision that bypassing DRMs by whatever means is legal as long its end goal is legal use.

The case heard by the court was brought up by the company MGE against General Electric. The issue was that General Electric had been accused of using hacked dongles in order to mend a number of uninterrupted power supplies. This made the producer of those power supplies, company MGE, argue that the when using hacked dongles, General Electric infringed the Digital Rights Millennium Act. The lawsuit was filed to the court, where the judge studied the issue and announced that General Electric didn’t do anything illegal. The ruling was handed out in its favor with the explanation that DRM can really be bypassed for sound reasons, i.e. in cases when the final objective is not anything like copyright infringement or piracy or whatever truly illegal.

The question of the century is whether or not this means that users now are free to do whatever they want with DRM, like crippling Ubisoft's DRM embedded in their legally purchased copies of Assassin's Creed and ripping the films they bought awhile ago. Well, from the point of this court ruling, the answer is yes they are. But one should keep in mind that it was the first decision on this issue, so it’s not clear yet if things will or not change in future.

Anyway, this decision can be treated as the first step to the truly free digital society we all have been dreaming about since the advent of anti-piracy outfits.
Almost like disobeying a unlawful order or law.

What isn't clear from the article is which court in which country.
One would assume the U.S.A.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It was the US Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit in New Orleans. Circuit courts are intermediate courts that fall between district courts and the Supreme court.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I am glad to see some common sense starting to enter the DRM legal arena in the US. The next fight will be in Canada, where it looks like large companies are about to get their way in the form of a restrictive, punitive DRM law. IMHO, telling a consumer that they cannot repair a UPS due to DRM is ludicrous. It opens up all sorts of abuses, such as putting DRM into home appliances and prosecuting consumers and appliance repair companies. Like I said, ludicrous.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
You are reading too much into it, IMO

From what I read, PMI may or may not have used an unauthorized copy of the software anyways, and got sued for that, and I believe MGE won that portion of the suit.

They lost the DMCA argument, because the dongle does not prevent duplication (unlike the DRM on some media) because the software is not encrypted, and that MGE cited PMI likely did not modify the software themselves, to bypass the dongle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts