Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple from Merritt, B.C. has been battling Bell Canada for months over enormous bills - which they call outrageous and unwarranted - for thousands of dollars in unexplained data charges on their smartphone.

Thousands of dollars worth of data usage 'impossible,' couple says

Bell told CBC News it cannot yet explain what is happening with the account.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next week's CBC Marketplace is about "worst" cell phone bills.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I wonder if it was a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone (not just the older Galaxy). If so, I could see it being the issue of using the inet.bell.ca APN on a plan that doesn't include tethering. Back when the Galaxy S was released, they were preset with this APN; which is actually the one used for monitoring tethered data usage.

Then again, that would be too simple. ;)

At the very least though, I think it gives a good wakeup call to anyone who signs up for pre-authorized payments with Bell (or any cellular provider). If they had signed up for pre-authorized payments, Bell would have taken the money from their credit cards before they even knew what happened.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had submitted a complaint with the CCTS regarding issues with my Samsung Galaxy S and was promised a $100 credit. But for some as yet to be explained reason, the credit entered was originally only $93.45 and by the time my next bill arrived, it is now only $87.34. As of yet, no explanation from Bell and my complaint has been reopened.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've never had a credit have anything to do with taxes. Even if it was, $87.34 + 12% HST = $97.82. For all I know the $100 credit hasn't been applied because I do have other credits going on because of other service and billing issues. usually those are itemized so at least I know what they are. But this credit was conspicuously added the day after I receive an email informing me of my $100.

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts