Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years back, A Best Buy fyler had a sweet deal on some 16GB USB drives from Kingston.
Such a deal were they, they were sold out.
So I took the flyer over to Futureshop that had plenty sitting on the shelves and got them to price match it.

According to Kingston, the DT100 series have a 5 year warranty.
Not sure when I bought it exactly, but a web search for a review on the 16Gb version was put out in 2008, so I think it's still under warranty as they haven't even been around in that size for that long.
I've been having probelms keeping it formatted or available to either read or write, regardless of FAT32 or NTFS in WIN XP or WIN 7 (32 & 64 bit) on 3 desktops and 2 laptops, so I opened a ticket with Kingston support and here is an edited reply:

Hello XXX,

Sorry to hear you’re having this problem with our drive. Due to the ever increasing number of counterfeit products seen in the world market place we are asking that you, please provide the numbers off the silver USB connector that resemble the following 12345-123.A00LF (see image).

If these numbers are too small for you to read, please photograph your Kingston product. The picture should highlight the front and back of the silver USB connector. Please send the pictures to me so that I may properly identify it. If there are no numbers on the USB connector then unfortunately you were sold a counterfeit product and our warranty will not apply. If this is the case, please contact your place of purchase to dispute your replacement request.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this e-mail with full email history. Thank you for using Kingston on-line technical support.

Regards,

XXX XXXXX
Kingston Technology
Technical Support
8am - 5pm Monday through Friday PST
Mine doesn't have any of the described marking, but nor does my DTI/512 Kingston drive, but it does have numbers stamped into the plastic, not the metal USB part.

If a few members could chime in on any counterfeit USB drive experiences or if Kinston is trying to shrug this one off.
Also does anybody know if F.S. keep a computerized record of your purchases, particularly if it had to be price matched?

Or suggestion of recourse?
I find it hard to imagine the FS would have counterfeit products, or maybe the threat of the RCMP checking them out might land a fresh genuine one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have several, all with the required markings

I have a mixture of Kingston DataTraveler's in various sizes... 8G, 16G and one 32G. All 6 of my 8G's have ink on the side with info similar to what is requested. My two 16G's have the indicated markings on the metal part of the connector as your email implies. My one 32G also has markings on the metal.

One possible suggestion... try the free USBDeview v1.75 utility at NirSoft ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html ) and get the serial number of the device. A sample one of my 16G's looks like this (with X's replacing some digits to protect my privacy):

Port_#0002.Hub_#0004 Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device Mass Storage Yes Yes No No F: 001D0F0CAAA3F9610XXXXXX0 2010-Aug-05 9:39:07 AM 2010-Aug-05 9:39:07 AM 0951 1603 08 06 50 USBSTOR USB Mass Storage Driver USBSTOR.SYS USB @usbstor.inf,%generic.mfg%;Compatible USB storage device 100 mA USB Mass Storage Device 6.1.7600.16385

Maybe the serial number would be useful in a reply email to their support organization...

·
Registered
217 Posts
is it possible the numbers wore off - or are they supposed to be engraved in the usb connector?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I look at it closer, the numbers seem to be there, just so badly worn off.
I'll try the utility mentioned.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I found it on mine (purchased at F.S. in the past year)

They are super light and very tiny.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did manage to read them with the help of a jewelers magnifier and have it sent off to Kingston for warranty replacement.
I ran the utility and the SN string didn't resemble anything like what was stamped on the connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts