1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
267 Posts
No they are just being shut down. I was subscribed to IFC but decided to FLEX it out on my IGNITE TV after learning it was shutting down to a channel I don’t really care a lot about. I only did that because I had all of the channels I wanted already and I had to pick something. Maybe a better channel will be offered to FLEX it out again for in my my package someday.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Channels felt like Fashion Television-level jokes on paper. IFC's current original programming is owned by Bell anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had Book Televsion. I agree though, I didn’t even have it all that long before I got rid of it. Talk about a pointless tv channel.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Bell will keep them around so long as the basically negligable cost of running them is less than they bring in. It's not like they're putting money or effort into them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Those channels meant something back when they first came out...when was it late 90s? The so-called Digital Package. IFC, Book TV, Fashion TV, Sex TV, Drive In, Scream. But they lost their appeal quickly after a few years when their owners decided to cut back on new programming. In the end they all became CSI channels. I used to really like Drive In back in the day, lots of good culty 60s/70s films.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I believe they bid on these channels to prevent an incursion of US channels. They played the 'Canadian Culture' card knowing full well there wasn't enough Canadian content. Now they are shutting them down because the channels aren't mandatory and not enough of the public is subscribing led by the exodus of people who prefer to stream their content. And they remain content by continuing to freeze out US channels.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
CRTC rules and the market have changed since these channels were first licensed. Specialty channels are no longer required to adhere to genre requirements so licensing a station by genre can less easily be used to exclude a US channel. The CRTC was always reluctant to license US stations for carriage but it is less likely to do so now.

Media ownership is now concentrated in the hands of fewer owners to usually also own BDUs so they can effectively block carriage of US stations on their own. If a popular new station starts up in the US, they just sign licensing agreements with the US owner and rebrand one of their existing stations.

Obtaining carriage is much more difficult than obtaining a license. Independent broadcasters are dwindling not so much due to lack of content as lack of carriage. That's partly due to a glut of channels but also due to media concentration. The major broadcasters just make carriage and sufficient subscriber levels difficult to obtain and then wait for the channel to fail outright or buy it at fire sale prices.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I actually find it insane that the likes of Fashion TV and Book TV are profitable. How many people really watch these channels? In all honesty, these channels should be relegated to the top tier package which has less subscribers or not included in any packages at all. Same with Dejaview and a few other channels. They have been on auto pilot for years.

I noticed that Nickelodeon is selling content directly via Amazon. Curious to see if Nickelodeon will maintain their relationship with Corus for linear TV rights or if they will eventually abandon Corus and sell directly. With the Viacom+CBS merger, you might even see Nickelodeon content on CBS All Access.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Corus to shutter CosmoTV and IFC
A Corus spokesperson told Cartt.ca the company didn’t try to sell the channels to another broadcaster, and instead it opted not to renew its licensing agreements in order to close them. “We regularly review our portfolio of channels to ensure that they align with our strategic direction. As part of that review, we’ve decided to not renew our agreements for Independent Film Channel (IFC) and Cosmopolitan TV (Cosmo TV),” said Corus in an e-mailed statement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BOOK tv should stay. The older generation likes shows such as Matlock and Diagnosis Murder. The older ones need shows they like to watch too. Not everything should be for the younger generation.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It sad that they didn't recycle those license for something like adding a time shifting for 2 of there channels or create a retro style channel of an existing channel, (how many time I saw people wanting a YTV Retro channel or to bring back Teletoon Retro, for a few examples...

These 2 licences can have potential, I guest they didn't see that...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I always wanted a Disney Retro channel but Corus never saw the potential I guess. Now Disney Plus is coming out here in November with a lot of retro Disney shows and movies.its just another reason why people have turned to streaming.

If people can’t find what they want to watch from cable they will look elsewhere. Corus had their chance to do something great, it’s a shame with all the possibilities they have had.

YTV Retro and the return of Teletoon Retro would have been awesome ! I know so many people who hated it when TR went away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts