Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Any word on if it's available on Samsung Smart TVs?
Here's another useful link: https://www.globaltv.com/faq/

Q: What devices are the Global TV App available on?
A: The new Global TV App is currently available on web, iOS, Android, and Chromecast. The new app will launch on Roku and Amazon Fire in March and on Apple TV and Android TV in June. The former Global TV App, featuring only Global content, will remain available on all devices in its previous form.

It doesn't sound like they any plans to support Samsung in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Stream Adult Swim and National Geographic Live and On Demand with the Global TV App. Available Now on Amazon Fire TV and Roku Streaming Devices. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Global News Weekend, a new morning show streaming on the Global TV App, officially launched on Saturday, April 25. The fresh new program, created specifically for audiences tuning into Global News digital platforms, including the Global TV App and globalnews.ca, airs every Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. ET. The three-hour long program provides a mix of news, weather and in-depth interviews. (Full Press Release)

·
Registered
975 Posts
The App doesn’t work properly on my Fire TV device, only giving me access to Global TV and Global News, even when logged in with my cable TV credentials. I subscribe to Showcase, Nat Geographic, and History, and none of these are available. They show up, but are locked.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Most likely because Bell does not have agreement with Corus to provide these channels on demand using this app.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
@David1953 Have you tried logging in through the Globaltv.com web site to see if it's a problem with the Fire TV app or your Eastlink credentials? You should get a screen that says:

"You’ve successfully signed in. Well done, my friend!
Based on your TV Provider, you’ve got access to the following channels below."

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue with the Global app on my Apple TV device. When I inquired with there support about a month ago this was there response. I suspect the maintenance issue mentioned has been resolved, but the italicized part seems more relevant. Annoying that they're promoting as available on all devices on commercials, their web site, etc. It does work correctly on an Android tablet.

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We are currently undergoing maintenance that may cause some technical issues on connected devices
At present only Global TV and Live channel and Global News Live Streams are available on Apple TV.
Additionally, app support and access to specialty subscribed channels on connected devices (Apple TV, Android TV, Smart TVs, Chromebook) is in progress and will not be available until later this year.

Thank you for your patience. Our team is currently working on a resolution.
Regards,
The Global TV App Team

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
For me the Global app does not work on Apple Tv, Nvidia Shiels, Amazon stick and Roku. All I have access to are Global and Global news.
I have active subscription to History and other channels available on Global Tv.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes, I saw that screen, Dr. Dave, exactly as you describe. However, the list of channels is not the same as what I am subscribed to on my cable provider, which is Eastlink. I actually can only access three, Global TV, Global News, and now, National Geographic. National Geographic showed up on the list of channels when I logged out, then activated my device a second time.

I still don’t get History, Showcase, nor a number of other Corus channels to which I am entitled.

I did fill out a “contact us” form at Global, but it was ignored.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
@David1953 Just to be clear, did you try logging in to Global on a PC. If you get an incomplete list of channels, then the problem could be the way Eastlink is passing the authorization back to Global.

Unrelated, I tried accessing my channels through the web with my TV provider credentials. Global and HGTV worked the first time I tried. When I tried Slice, the ad pre-roll would play, then I got an error code when it tried to play the program. I tried 2 different random programs and got the same result, but it worked the third time, so I know the authorization is working. I don't watch the specialty channels, but they're included in my package, so I just tried them to see if they worked.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Oh, thanks for clarifying, Dr. Dave. I didn't actually do this on a PC, and the message that I got, similar to your message, was through the app after I entered the code given by the app and using the Eastlink credentials.

Obviously, I need to do as you say and fire up my PC and check it that way.

What I found odd was that the first time I logged in, all I could get was Global, and the news, but the second time, I got National Geographic. It seems as though there are inconsistencies, and your thought about the credentials not being passed through properly is a good one.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well, I finally had a chance to try this on a PC, and can now see what the issue is. The only two channels that I can see are Global, along with History. However, there is another message that says that my provider, Eastlink, has decided to block content from the other channels.

My thoughts are that Eastlink didn’t come to an agreement with Corus to allow streaming of the additional content, probably because they’re too cheap. This is much like FX/Now, where Eastlink never came to an agreement with Rogers to carry that content.

What IS odd is that I could see National Geographic on my Fire TV 4K, but not History.

The channel of most interest to me, for streaming, would be Showcase.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Oh, my mistake when checking my Fire TV App again. Apparently, it is indeed History, in addition to Global, that I was entitled to. I never had access to National Geographic TV at all.

It seems that Eastlink is in the same situation as Bell, with the same content being allowed on these two providers.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If you subscribe to Amazon Prime then Stack Tv may be a good option. I tried it as a free preview for one months and it was pretty good. You can watch live or on demand. I am thinking of dropping my TV package and getting Stack TV, especially now that my tv promo is almost over and it may be tough to get another good promotion. It is too bad that many of Canadian providers don't provide access to Global, AMC or FX streaming apps especially that many of shows on these platforms are not available anywhere else.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes, I thought about the Stack TV App as well, bev fan. However, $12 for channels with a lot of adds, plus tax, is a bit expensive. I’m glad that you’ve had a chance to evaluate it.

Basically, I have a pack of fifty discretionary channels at Eastlink as part of my bundle, in addition to Crave and Hollywood Suite channels, and any one of the fifty channels can be swapped out for others in a larger list. One idea would be to swap out Corus channels for other channels, then add Stack TV to get the Corus channels that I’ve removed. My current package, with decent pricing, lasts until early next year, at which time my bundle price will expire.

I’ve been in touch with Eastlink about the lack of Corus content for streaming, and their word, “stay tuned”.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts