Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does not work for me. I get a we cannot stream this content outside of Canada message. I have unblock-us setup which is likely why. It doesn't block the CBC app. Not sure why it's messing with the Global app.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Because Global has Geo-blocking, probably as they have content available here that another party has the online streaming rights for in the US. CBC probably don't bother as most of their content they produce themselves.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
While this is a nice development, I really wish they had a unified app that just had content sent to it. With how they're going I'm going to wind up with 50 apps just for TV.

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any chance of a Roku channel?
I would think no chance, since Global says the content will also be available through the BDU's set-top box video on demand (VOD), so there is no incentive for them to develop another TV box interface.

Telus are not one of the chosen providers at present
Telus are one of the chosen - it's just not fully implemented yet. It sounds like the full content should be available through the Telus STB VOD interface. I think they're probably working on the interface for Global to validate Telus user IDs for the other access methods.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
^ Global Go launches initially with Shaw, Shaw Direct, Cogeco, Telus and Eastlink and Canadian Cable Systems Alliance distributors. It will also be available through these partners on their set-top box video on demand (VOD) and on-line portals.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
nice interface, but certainly a fair number of users complaining about it in the iOS AppStore....time will tell I guess. What do people who not subscribe to cable or sat do? can they watch as well without a provider login?

·
Registered
309 Posts
oh, I wish they would provide a way that I can pay a subscription fee to access this service without an existing cable plan! $1 per month would be fair I think.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just loaded this app to my iPad. It looks very interesting, but I think there's still some bugs to be worked out. It rejects my log-in attempts with my Shaw Direct account number and password. It's still usable to view Global programs of the current episode that my stupid Motorola PVR failed to record. That's the way I used the previous version, and the only reason I would watch anything on an iPad rather than on a large screen display.

I notice that the vast majority of ratings on the App Store are negative. Many complain about why they need to be a Shaw subscriber to get whole seasons of shows -as if that once broadcast over-the-air, a program instantly becomes public domain, and the TV distributors have an obligation to provide it free on demand. {roll eyes}

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
this does confuse me somewhat, the new "model" of TV revenue. From the 50's to the mid 2000's, a program was broadcast, over either the air or cable. Ads were inserted totaling roughly eight minutes per 30 minutes. For 50 years, that seemed to make lots of money for the broadcaster.
Now, those same eight minutes generate revenue, but apparently they don't generate enough revenue to cover the revenue of all the other ads inserted in online versions (try watching The Daily Show, Colbert or ANY Youtube video online), Hulu, Netflix ads etc.
Is it me, or is something fishy here? Yes, fewer young people use traditional cable/OTA/sat to get their TV fix, reducing traditional revenue "views", but since there's also ad revenue generated via online versions, not to mention the provider (cable, Starbucks retail, etc) charging for supplying broadband so as to be able to view online versions, there would appear to be even MORE revenue now.
So, while licensing limitations are a convenient reason (excuse) for handicapping an app like the new Global/Shaw app, I'm concerned the ONLY reason all the viewing limitations exist is purely to generate yet another guaranteed revenue stream.
But that's just me. If anything, I just get ticked-off and watch less online, and that's a shame, because I'm used to sitting thru commercials. I'm not used to signing-in and exposing my personal account info, however.
HNIC used to run silent, visual ads as the game continued. Maybe that's the online model they should be looking at, as opposed to gathering my personal info. I'd use this new app WAY more if that were the case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just loaded this app to my iPad. It looks very interesting, but I think there's still some bugs to be worked out. It rejects my log-in attempts with my Shaw Direct account number and password. It's still usable to view Global programs of the current episode that my stupid Motorola PVR failed to record. That's the way I used the previous version, and the only reason I would watch anything on an iPad rather than on a large screen display.

I notice that the vast majority of ratings on the App Store are negative. Many complain about why they need to be a Shaw subscriber to get whole seasons of shows -as if that once broadcast over-the-air, a program instantly becomes public domain, and the TV distributors have an obligation to provide it free on demand. {roll eyes}
I had the same problem with the app rejecting my Shaw Direct account number and password. I don't know why this works, but for some reason you can fix the issue by logging into your account on Shaw Direct's website and changing your password. I did that and the app worked right away with my account number and new password.

I'm not a big fan of watching things on my iPad either. Are you able to access Shaw Direct VOD? I use it a lot to keep up with Global programs on my large screen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the same problem with the app rejecting my Shaw Direct account number and password. I don't know why this works, but for some reason you can fix the issue by logging into your account on Shaw Direct's website and changing your password. I did that and the app worked right away with my account number and new password..
How 'bout that, it worked! Thanks. Too bad Shaw didn't think to put that in the instructions.:rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of watching things on my iPad either. Are you able to access Shaw Direct VOD? I use it a lot to keep up with Global programs on my large screen.
I had tried it a while back, but had some problems with it. Maybe I'll give it another go.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
You (or those people that reviewed the app) need to realize that being broadcast on open airwaves does not make the content public domain, It still very much is copyrighted. I do know that for sure.

As for why only recent episodes, it could be a rights thing, probably that archived episodes are a different rate card, so Shaw has to withhold them for free customers, but can allow them with subscribed customers.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You (or those people that reviewed the app) need to realize that being broadcast on open airwaves does not make the content public domain, It still very much is copyrighted. I do know that for sure.

As for why only recent episodes, it could be a rights thing, probably that archived episodes are a different rate card, so Shaw has to withhold them for free customers, but can allow them with subscribed customers.
but....if something is broadcast OTA or via cable or satellite, we are allowed to view the program without restrictions (or so I thought). If I view on an iPad, for example, I don't know of a way to record that info. That being the case, why would there be concern about logging-in, since all the advertiser is interested is are the "views".
Is the problem that without logging in, there's no way for Nielsen to track the views?
I'd rather they just put the shows up online with ads inserted as opposed to them gathering our login info.
And if Shaw requires a new password to use a Global app....more data mining as far as I can tell.
But if someone can tell me this Global app wasn't re-engineered with the intent of mining our personal data, I'm all ears...it's a learning experience

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Customers of Rogers, Cogeco, and TELUS Can Now Access Global Go

Customers of Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct, Rogers, Cogeco Cable, TELUS Optik TV™, Eastlink and Source Cable can now login with their service provider subscription credentials to catch-up on missed episodes and gain exclusive access to in-season libraries for key Global shows. In addition to these catch-up features, users can also watch live TV on their iOS or Android device on Global Go’s easy-to-use interface and high-quality video player.

Other TV service providers will follow in the coming months.

Press Release.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts