Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

401 - 415 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Disney Channel Canada to premiere Stuck in the Middle with Disney Channel US on February 14, 2016 as a preview and March 11, 2016 as regular airing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Family Channel airing 25 year crap like Fresh Prince Of Bel Air & 2000 era Malcolm In The Middle. When January 2016 rolls around & the last of Disney's shows dry up, FC & CHRGD will be *hurting*. Seems eerie to have Corus have the lock on the 2 major US kids channels programming. I know there's third & fourth rate slim pickings (The Hub).
For the Fresh Prince of Bel Air on Family, Why is it in 16:9 stretched/cropped? Oh, it's missing the Warner Bros. Television logo

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think they intend to air those old shows on F2N but wanted to continue having a younger audience so that's why they added in those shows. Family is really starting to turn into MTV and Family CHRGD as MTV2 minus how much animation they air.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Canadian cable channels just don't get it. It's ALL about fresh content.

In the US Disney Channel & Nick have MOST of their balls juggling in the air. They have a stable of shows in various "4 year run" stages. Some are in last year. Others are debuting or in season 2 or 3. So they always have about 2 shows waiting in the wings.

In Canada, cheap/lazy DHX & Corus are running on fumes. Since Astral/DHX debuted Disney XD, they've spun a limited number of Cancon series like Baxter (12 episodes max!!) to Connor Undercover (40 episodes max) in a 365/day loop since 2009 & are STILL airing on CHRGD. While Corus is doing the same (Really Me, Mr. Young, etc.) on YTV. They may have one "signature" new show in production which they kill after reaching Cancon status... seems to be 40 episodes max.

It's all about freshness. Good Luck Charlie is a stale show in the world of high turnover. So US DisChan airs it afternoons, not evenings/primetime. They simply wouldn't air That's So Raven because it is ancient!

So our kids here get a Canadian series with half a shelf life (of US 4 years) that air at nauseam for consecutive years until they eek out a new show to replace its oldest.

At this rate UK/Ireland, Australia/NZ & Euro/Asian versions of Nick/DisChan get better quality than we do.

That said, Corus us damn lucky to have Disney brand. Because they let Disney juggle the balls. Just For Laugh Gags & My Babysitter Is A Vampire is their *only* Cancon. I almost don't want to point it out for fear Mr. Young gets yet ANOTHER outlet for tirless replays.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Pick and pay is going to be a harsh blow to channels that are doing that. I really can't see any reason to keep Family CHRGD, given how weak the lineup is. The shows my son is interested in aren't there, they're over on the Disney channels with their generally fresher lineup.

Fundamentally, Family channel only has one channel's worth of content, but they wanted to keep it spread across three channels. That was a good idea in the old model of spewing out as many channels as possible to get carriage fees, but I don't see how it's going to work in a pick and pay world. One strong channel would stand out from the crowd a lot more readily.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So much news for Disney Channel Today!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Corus Entertainment is making Disney Channel's first ever Block with a twist. It's called "Famalama DingDong" which is a 4 day long event. It also includes Corus Entertainment's other two popular networks; YTV and Teletoon. It Starts at 4 pm et/pt on Teletoon, 6 pm et/pt on YTV and finally 8 pm ep/pt on Disney Channel starting February 12th. If I look at this right, it looks like they will air this block around the same time that Stuck in the Middle will make it's World Debut on Disney Channel Canada. Other shows from Disney Channel that is looking to air on it is Girl Meets World and Invisible Sister.
-Corus Entertainment made a Press Release today stating that the 2016 Radio Disney Music Awards will premiere on Disney Channel Canada on May 1st, 2016 airing day and date with Disney Channel in the US. It will be presented under; Disney Channel Presents the Radio Disney Music Awards. It will air from 7 pm et/pt-9 pm et/pt.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
What Corus should do is try and secure the event to be presented out of Canada for the 2017 Radio Disney Music Awards. I'm not sure where it might be held, but since Corus is out of Calgary I would assume some place like the Calgary Flames Hockey Arena or some other large venue in Calgary that hold thousands of people?

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I see promos for Tom Hanks BIG & Amanda Bynes She's The Man this weekend. Uh-oh! This better not be the Corus slippery slope of smearing all their acquired content on as many channels as possible no matter the niche. Yes, these movies fit like a glove with Disney Channel, but are also movies that have gotten play on Corus-owned channels W Network, W Movies, YTV & ABC Spark.

And I'm convinced Corus doesn't care about its DC viewers by the fact the excruciating "Mini Kids Pop 13" will air 3-4 times a half (!!!!!) hour, all evening & all night/overnight. Besides my usual gripe about them not caring about targeting ads based on niche channels-- dishwasher pods, minivan ads on YTV/Disney Channel. In the States, you don't see chainsaw ads on Nickelodeon & My Little Pony ads on TNT! But to keep this on-topic (57), having found a live stream of US original DC, I can say their lack of ads (minus Disney tie ins), their "break" filler segments are entertaining & give more of a "Disney experience".This is why it's too bad DHX wasn't able to keep Disney rights & FINALLY ditcH the "Family" to adopt the global DC brand.

401 - 415 of 415 Posts