Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8300HD and have discovered the Copy to VCR function that seems to work fine. The output is through the composite out2vcr output of the 8300, into the composite in of my VCR. I now see that there is a DVD recorder available at FS for under $300. Does the Copy to VCR work with the DVD Recorder too? If so, what are the considerations re how much time can be stored on the DVD, in what resolution, etc., etc. I don't know much about the technical aspects. I really just want to archive a few movies from VOD and a few non-HD and HD TV shows (Rogers). Thanks. Any guidance from those of you who are experienced with this would be great!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mikehami said:
Does the Copy to VCR work with the DVD Recorder too? If so, what are the considerations re how much time can be stored on the DVD, in what resolution, etc., etc.
Mikehami

i have a panasonic hdd/dvdr hooked up to my 8300 thru s-video. the copy to VCR works great. you can even watch other stations while its coping to your dvdr or you can even turn off your tv and cable box and it still sends the signal to your dvdr.

other's can correct me here...
but I think with minimual loss of quality, you can get 2 hours onto a standard dvd. the resolution is better if you use the full dvd to record only an hour but i haven't seen much difference (of course this all depends on your dvdr). my pvr/dvdr has different settings similar to vcrs ie sp lp ep... so you can get 6 hours or more on a standard dvd but then the quality goes down (again this is probably all dependent on your dvdr). one nice thing about mine is it also has a "fit to" setting so it records the best possible quality depending on the length of the show.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I've read that as soon as you go "past" the 2 hour speed, the quality drops to that of a VHS tape. Since DVD is digital, the only way to get the additional recording time is to "drop" every second line once you go to the 4 hour mode. So, for high quality - the first two modes are usually best.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have been interested in archiving some of my recorded shows to DVD and have not been interested in "Copy to VCR" since I do not have any interest in my VCR any longer. I did not know that it is possible to "Copy to DVD" using the "Copy to VCR" function. Will it work when connected via component to the DVD recorder? Wonder why Rogers always told me you cannot copy to DVD???

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
There are no consumer recording devices with component video HD inputs. You'll need to use composite or S-video for the DVD Recorder.

The copy to VCR used to be disabled, perhaps that's a cause of confusion at Rogers, but usually, many CSRs are simply unaware of the myriad of features that the various STBs have.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I used the slowest speed (1 hr.) to record an HD version of Carnivale to DVD. My gf commented on how it looked like a DVD quality movie. Actually, it almost is, as it's sent out in 480i via composite, and recorded accordingly, in 480i. We watched it back on a non-prog. DVD player, and it was stunning.
I'm not sure about the Rogers boxes, but the Moto 6412 will NOT send a 16x9 signal out the composite, so everything is presented in letterbox form (4x3).

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Composite Video usually is only capable of about 400 lines (horizontal). You may wish to use S-video for 20+% better quality.

Rogers STB sends out the 16:9 image (letterboxed "inside" 4:3).

I have heard of some STBs that send out "anamorphic" images (I believe *C).

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Sony RDR-HX900 uses variable bit rate recording when something has been recorded onto the hard drive at HQ or HQ+ and is dubbed to a DVD at a lower resolution. So, for example, I can record a 3 hour show in HQ to the HD, then dub at LP mode and the result looks pretty good. Of course, that unit is rather expensive!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hooking up 8300HD PVR to DVD Recorder LGR435?

I am considering getting a LG LGR435 DVD Recorder to hook to my 8300HD PVR, so I can copy a recorded TV show to a DVD. I am told that I can use the Copy to VCR option of the PVR. The normal output from the 8300 is via the 3 composite2 connections to the composite inputs of the VCR. My question is can I use the S-Video out on the PVR to the S-video in of the LGR435 for the video signal, to get better resolution than the composite video connection? Has anyone done this, and what is the improvement in the video resolution? I presume I would still use the R and L audio connections as before. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I use the s-video connection on my 8000HD -- I assume it would also work on the 8300. I have never compared the quality with composite.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mikehami said:
My question is can I use the S-Video out on the PVR to the S-video in of the LGR435 for the video signal, to get better resolution than the composite video connection? Has anyone done this, and what is the improvement in the video resolution? I presume I would still use the R and L audio connections as before. Thanks for the help.
Yes you can. The S-Video out will switch to the VCR output signal when you invoke a copy to VCR.

And, yes, you would still use the R and L audio connections (Out 2).

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
With the LGR435, the S-vid connection is on the front of the recorder only, there is no rear s-vid input. It's a good machine, but depending on your STB, you will get a 4:3 letterboxed picture, not an anamorphic. You can always use the zoom on your TV, or the zoom on the player to get rid of the bars when you play back. Recording from cable produces good results, as well as via composite from the STB.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
It also includes a component-video input, which offers a high-quality analog connection to turn your collections of VHS tapes into higher-quality digital recordings.
What VHS tapes output on component video?

I have no idea what the use is for this input, but I seriously doubt it's for anything HD.

Some STBs have CV inputs which are used as a "passthrough", which then mean one less connection required on the TV... These inputs are limited to 480i on consumer devices.

I've changed my previous post to "component video HD inputs"

·
Registered
545 Posts
My Sony RDR-HX900 DVD recorder has component video inputs. Not for hidef, obviously! I have never tried them -- I always use s-video. Sometime I must give them a try and see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Recording an HD signal to the LG DVD recorder gives you the black bars top and bottom, but recording a regular program in stretch mode gives you a full 16:9 screen. That's pretty bad, the HD recording is worse than the regular recording! Unless I'm missing something.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
that's because it's not HD... to be HD it has to be either 720p or 1080i... If you see bar at the top and bottom, it's either 480p or 480i

seememom said:
Recording an HD signal to the LG DVD recorder gives you the black bars top and bottom, but recording a regular program in stretch mode gives you a full 16:9 screen. That's pretty bad, the HD recording is worse than the regular recording! Unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry, you're right, it wouldn't be HD, only 480i. I should have said "recording an HD show to the DVD recorder" (which can only accept 480i).

This still means that the resolution when recording an HD program will be lower than the resolution of recording a standard program in stretch mode, because part of the 480i lines will be taken up by the black bars. It's just not right! And I don't think there is any way around it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is an interesting conversation. I've been thinking of buying a DVD recorder to archive stuff off my 8300HD SA box. However, I keep putting the purchase off, in the hopes that soon we will have HD DVD recorders at a reasonable price. I'm not sure if these are available yet, even at premium prices.

Does anyone have a feel for when the day will come that we will be able to archive HD content (as well as SD content) onto a DVD recorder that is HD capable?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts