Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...

Okay...somebody is likely to pull up a quick and simple answer, but I have been searching for this for a few days now. I want to convert my pay-as-you-go Rogers phone to a monthly contract phone. Can I do this online without having to talk to some service rep who will try to sink out as every single penny they can? (I need explicit instructions...the techno-challenged I am!) I am at Telus now, with only few months left on contract, and the SERVICE at Helus is just soooo horrid, they must be using technology from WW2 or something like that. Thanks for any help...

Jay-man

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
the reason you CAN'T do this online is because a monthly account requires a credit check, and since you had prepaid, it does not, there is a step needed and the office must be open during business ours to achieve this. This is called a migration, and usually they may ask you to buy a pay go card to complete it so you can start using it right away, its like buying a new car with a empty gas tank, you cant use it, they dont give you gas / hence air time, so you will have to supply it on your own. best of luck let me know what they say.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To do a migration, you can call the Paygo customer care line and tell them you want to move your account to a monthly service. They will note the remaining balance on your account and transfer you to Activations who will do the credit check and migrate the account. if you're on Autosaver, you will have to make sure the credit card is removed to stop any further charges.

This will work if you're going month to month with your existing phone or new phone with no contract. If you're getting a new phone on a term, you won't be able to migrate as there will be a new account created with that term in place, but you could port the number to the new account.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How about to go in the opposite direction...to migrate from a postpaid (off-contract) account to a PAYGO? Can that be done online, and how would you do it? Would I got to activate a PAYGO account and there'd be an option to migrate my postpaid #?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can't do it online either way. To migrate from postpaid to prepaid, you need to speak with Customer Relations and they submit a request to have your account migrated. To go from postpaid to prepaid costs $50 for the migration fee, however you get a $10 airtime bonus on your prepaid account.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can't do it online either way. To migrate from postpaid to prepaid, you need to speak with Customer Relations and they submit a request to have your account migrated. To go from postpaid to prepaid costs $50 for the migration fee, however you get a $10 airtime bonus on your prepaid account.
Wow, $50 even if I remain with Rogers! That's daylight robbery. Wouldn't I be better off porting the # a prepaid plan with another carrier?

·
Registered
275 Posts
GSMfan,

Tell them you'll switch carriers. Maybe they will cut or eliminate the fee. Doesn't hurt to try.

For prepaid, as far as my research goes, they do have you in a tight spot. If you choose to switch and port, you have to buy a new phone or possibly switch to a less competitive company.

Last I looked into it, Bell was more expensive. Virgin Mobile didn't have prepaid SIM's, Speakout (7/11), Petro Canada, etc. require you to buy a new phone for the SIM (over $50). Don't know about Telus, but you can look into other options.

Switching over will likely cost you more than $40, and they probably know this.

Virgin charges $35 to go from prepaid to postpaid, so it's not only Rogers that gets you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
markf: thanks for the pointers.

You are right...it would probably cost me more to switch. Rogers also has the My5 PAYGO option which is a good fit for my needs.

Bell does offer the 3G Nokia 7230 for $90 on prepaid. With $30 activation credit, that's a pretty good deal for a 3G phone on prepaid. But the Bell prepaid plans are not as good a fit for me.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
hrmm you should be getting perks for turning into a contracted customer. Maybe a credit and phone subsidy. Call in and ask for the perks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I'm not quite ready to transfer from a Pay as you Go to a contract phone YET.... but:

Wondering if you have credits in your pay as you go account and you transfer to a contract, Does Rogers credit your contract account with that money or not???

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Post-paid doesn't roll over, so the transfer is unlikely. You may be able to negotiate something - depends on what you want from Post-paid maybe...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
when I transitioned one of my prepaid cellular accounts to post paid, I made sure I had a 0 balance, they were able to migrate my existing telephone number and do a credit check on me, and convert the account into a monthly account where I received a bill every month regardless if I used airtime or not. The only thing else that changed was my Account number for the prepaid had to be changed when I migrated to monthly, apparently due to the different billing systems used, ie MG for Prepaid over to Vision 21 for Post paid. Makes perfect sense to me, I'm not complaining.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts