Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new TV. Traditionally, I have been an LCD over plasma fan. However, I want a TV that is better for watching sports (mostly hockey). So that leads me to plasma. The Panny G20/25 in particular. Love the picture quality.

But all the old "truths" about plasma still loom large in my mind: the light reflection, the burn-in, etc.

I like to play a lot of video games and I prefer to watch my TV in the original format it broadcasts in (ie. no stretching) leaving the black-bars as they are. So I am concerned about burn-in.

The room it would be placed in also gets a lot of sunlight. Lots of windows and faces the south-east. I am concerned about the reflection.

Do these problems still exist? The sales guys tell me that these problems no longer exist but I feel compelled to do some homework on this.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
These issues are still real as discussed in the following thread on Plasma vs LCD. There are recent posts there as well as the on-going discussion.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68800

Although burn in is less of an issue, partly due to the technology, but also partly because people are watching less SD and more HD. To say that burn in is not an issue at all, would be irresponsible. Here's the FAQ. I recently purchased a plasma and watch SD as 4:3, but my SD viewing is less than 20% of my overall viewing.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

In general don't believe salespeople and be skeptical. It's good to do homework.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you're watching 4:3 TV you can always turn on grey sidebars that will help minimize burn in. As for movies in 2:35 aspect ratio (black bars top and botto) as you long as you mix up your viewing going from full screen to bars you shouldn't have a problem. I've had a panasonic plasma for over 2 years and still watch a fair bit of 4:3 TV 2:35 movies and have had no problems. As for reflections, yes my plasma is highly reflective but I have it an area that minimizes this issue. Just draw the drapes or blinds and all should be ok....

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Closing as this topic is well covered in the thread 57 mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.