Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Final day of the contest!

Today is the big day for the end of this contest! I'll be going through this thread late this evening so if you haven't posted your GH picture(s) in here do it now! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
To The Wire

I just registered yesterday, and have never posted to a forum in my life. I have uploaded 5 pictures to an album but as yet do not know how to include them in this message. The pictures are of a GH-6 (Rev.2) as faithful to J3D's specs as I could muster. This includes #2AWG wire and extended feedpoint. I will probably never try this design again. Here is one of the pics.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
This includes #2AWG wire and extended feedpoint. I will probably never try this design again. Here is one of the pics.
Heh, yeah. #2 wire can be a bear to straighten.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought I would add to the picture contest for fun. I've already seen builds I think are prettier and more clever, so I have to make it all about the fun.

My first one is just cardboard, fence wire and duct tape. I'll enter in the "Quickest Cheapest Build" category. I've used it for almost a year.

My second one was made to improve reception in the breakroom at work. I'll enter this one under the "Made entirely from stuff out of a dumpster" category.

My third one is made from PVC. I tried to be real particular with measurements and get everything right (meaning: spent excessive time on it). I've added NARODs but no reflectors. I think this is the prettiest one I made, but it should probably be entered in the "Most Overbuilt Frame" category.

My last one is made from stuff from the Tractor and Supply Store. I'll enter it in the "Most Colorful" category.

I want to try one more, based on a modification of Feig's dreamcatcher design, but it won't be done for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exicted to make the deadline

I don't even own a digital camera so that probably tells you what kind of photographer I am.

Like Gov. Earl Long said vote early and vote often

·
Registered
4 Posts
Silhouette

I am in awe of the construction techniques of many of the entries. I wish I had been able to view some of these before I started my project. How do you people whip these out overnight? It took me three months for my build including planning, gathering parts, construction, anguish, and mistakes. I didn't keep track of the cost, but I could probably have purchased the most expensive commercial antenna available for what I spent. Now I can't afford to put it up. It may hang on the wall as a piece of art. I did enjoy it...not sure about the wife.

·
Registered
68 Posts
cadsulfide, your house has fallen over! LOL! You should get some of your buddies to help you to push it back up. j/k. Or maybe you scanned the photo sideways. lol!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
How do you people whip these out overnight? It took me three months for my build including planning, gathering parts, construction, anguish, and mistakes.
Nobody really does, it involves thinking and planning about the build for at least a little while. But thats part of the fun of it ! I dont think I spent more than about $25 each for the two DBGHs I built last year, but I had some stuff already on hand that I had to use anyway. Im getting ready to build my reflectorless NAROD version soon, and I dont think Ill have $15 in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
300ohm I got you beat for cost if you minus 2 U clamps $4, balun $4, drill press $200 (floor model on sale), extra wire $70 (had to by a 800ft roll its electric fence for cattle, nieghbor would of been pissed if I took some of his), 20ft 1/2" pvc $10, 10ft 3/4" pvc $10 (only need 1ft). This makes the cost about $300 for the first half of my DBGH but the second section which can also be used as a SBGH actually costs $10 in material costs. Of course I'm not talking about the mistakes and scrap pieces (we don't talk about that)and the biggest savings is free labour (labour is spelt that way not labor), followed by eliminating elbow and tees.

The fun of making them is priceless.

Feig

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
if you minus 2 U clamps $4, balun $4, drill press $200 (floor model on sale), extra wire $70 (had to by a 800ft roll its electric fence for cattle, nieghbor would of been pissed if I took some of his)
Heh, yeah I know what you mean. On your next build, youll also need to get that pretty $400 band saw to make those nice and square pvc cuts, no real way around that. :p

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
I've been busily printing out the photos of all 47 entries in this contest and preparing to show them to mrs. stampeder, who will advise me on artistic merit of the photography since she's a keen photographer but not much interested in TV antennas. I'll evaluate the physical construction shown in each photo. The printed photos won't be identifiable with the posts here, so when the winners are chosen I'll go back to this thread and match them to the members who posted them.

I'll announce the Grand Prize and Honourable Mention winners by the end of today.

A big round of applause for all who entered! :)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Drum Roll Please...

Man oh man it was tough to decide! :eek: I am very pleased to have gotten so many entries, and after careful study and discussion with mrs. stampeder I'm delighted to announce that there are actually 2 co-winners of the Grand Prize, as well as an Honourable Mention winner.

The Grand Prize co-winners:
Submitted by markdd (clean build, classic "up shot" gives scale, weather gives sense of "toughness")

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/images/co-winner1.jpg

Submitted by Grem (tidy, suitable for indoors, looks easy to contruct)

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/images/co-winner2.jpg

The Honourable Mention prize:
Submitted by mlord (lovely lighting, pro build quality, sense of scale is good)

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/images/honourable-mention.jpg

Congratulations to our winners!

The Grand Prize winners must send me a PM with their email address so that we can arrange delivery of their slightly used Hauppauge 850 USB2.0 ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners for computer. Glad I have 2 of them, but now I'm going to be short a tuner! :D

The Honourable Mention prize winner must send a PM to 300ohm to arrange delivery of that prize: a genuine ultrasonic Zenith Space Commander 400 remote control, circa 1956.

My thanks to all of you who entered, and the contest thread will remain up so that people can benefit from your great work. The 3 winning photos will now be added to the OTA FAQ as example images of Gray-Hoverman antennas.

cheers :)

81 - 97 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.