Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Very, very nice build Feig. Form and function. Very artistic, you should be proud to have that on your tower. Accidently or not, you have four mounting points at the very best location, (or so its been discussed), in the middle of a leg. It supposedly gives a little more gain, but only like in the the tenths of a db. Also very artistic of you to use sliced up pvc for the colinear rod gap spacers. Since youre near an Indian reservation, Im sure everyone there thinks its some kind of a Dream Catcher, heh. (or will if you put feathers on it)
AFAIK, JED hasnt optimized the phasing lines on his JED10. Im sure theres about another db in it when he does. What did you you use, my gen1 phasing lines ?

mlord does have the superior rotor mount though.

Nice work on the frames, and I'm also wondering what they're made of.
It has to be pvc, he has the reflector rods held by them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll remove my rabbit ears and see what happens.

I do have an unfinished SBGH with NARODS.
I put on some 14 ga. wire for visual effect.
Also needs reflectors.
I think I'll try copper rods on this frame, 1/4 aluminum is a bit hard to bend.

I know this doesn't qualify, how about a Radio Shack Hoverman with rabbit ears.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I do have an unfinished SBGH with NARODS.
If youre picking up vhf stations with the rabbit ears mounted like you do, then a NAROD without the NAROD reflector should do you fantastic, heh.

Wait a minute, youre missing the stubs or have teeny stubs on that build. What is that, bent down 1 inch ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The second picture is a Radio Shack Hoverman.
It is a little different than tvlurker's antenna.
I thought somebody might want to see one in good condition. heh

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Doh ! Sorry, I missed that little tibit in the middle of the pictures, heh. Autofils posted a model of that way, way back in the forum. The Rat Shack somehow managed to "new and improve" it so that it was made worse than the orig 1958 patent one, heh.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Feig's GH

Grem I used cpvc bent with a heat gun then painted black. The two below are earlier designs one a jed10 and Autofils design. I used diagonals behind the reflectors for stability. This gave me the idea for the ones in post 36. It eliminates all tees and elbows making it super cheap in cost but expensive in time. I like 300ohms name of Dream Catcher. What a perfect name. My phase lines are the same as the receptors (4mm galvinized steel wire)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Probably won't win the beauty contest unless cost is factored in.

I'm still using this antenna, although I've redone the driven element several times. This summer I plan on building John Davis's Wide-Band Gray-Hoverman and mounting it outside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thought I might just as well contribute too. How about some Virtual World & Real World

Feig
Love the frame layout "Dream Catcher" very fitting.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The image on the right (if you look past the antenna) looks like what a shrink shows an OTA guy and asks what he sees...

"Wicked tropospheric skip and ducting conditions, Doc!" :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the great info on here, this is a first build which turned out pretty well (aside from sore fingers from some aluminum bending fun).

Finished antenna in upstairs bedroom.

Construction:

Bending the 1/4" aluminum rod.

2x4 spacers to hold elements in place.

Shelf brackets with 2x4's for feet (one on opposite side)

·
Registered
34 Posts
My SBGH photo submission

This isn't particularly pretty, but it's functional! I believe my SBGH Gen1 GH6 is typical of what your average "Joe 6-Pack" (that's me) can build.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is my latest SBGH with NARODS.
I made the back NARODS supports horizontal so the NARODS reflector
spacing can be adjusted for different VHF-HI channels.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.