Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today 300ohm pointed out to me that there is no photo of a GH antenna anywhere in the OTA Knowledge Base & FAQ, and much to my chagrin it is true! :eek:

Starting today, please post in this thread with a photo of your Grey Hoverman or else with a link to one of your photos that is already posted here at DIgitalHome.ca that you feel best represents the Grey Hoverman antenna. Photos must be hosted here at DigitalHome.ca, so...

Follow These Instructions

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=92167

Feel free to comment on the photos added to this thread! The antenna itself is of course the main objective, but the photo quality, background, lighting, etc. are very important too since this is about finding an image to show the world what a GH antenna looks like.

Grand Prize

I will select a winner on Wednesday, April 22, 2009, who will receive a slightly used Hauppauge 850 USB2.0 ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner for computer, to be mailed by myself as a gift.

Enter now, enter often!

·
Registered
180 Posts

Two in progress photos, one finished product.

I may be building a Double Bay soon, I still don't get the one channel I want...

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Grand Prize

I will select a winner on Wednesday, April 22, 2009, who will receive a slightly used Hauppauge 850 USB2.0 ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner for computer, to be mailed by myself as a gift.
And since someone like mlord already has a Hauppauge 950Q, Ill send the first or second place winner a piece of TV history, a genuine ultrasonic Zenith Space Commander 400 remote control, circa 1956. I believe it was one of the first, if not the first, commercially available remote control model made. It still works, (but I didnt take the TV that it controlled because it wouldnt fit in the car, heh.) And its in good shape. It weighs 10 ounces versus 2 ounces of the remote for the present Zenith DT901 CECB.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, is that old remote ultrasonic or on RF?

We can give that to the Honourable Mention winner if that's alright with you? Wonderful history piece! :)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Honourable Mention Prize

Its an ultrasonic, it has 4 tuning bars that vibrate when you push the 4 keys. Its HDTV ready (as ready as it will ever be, heh)

We can give that to the Honourable Mention winner if that's alright with you?
Sure thats fine. It cost me nothing, I just got a kick out of looking at it off and on for about 10 years, heh. So let someone else get a kick out it, I gotta clean out stuff, Im too packed with crap, heh.

You can see the bars in this top down photo :

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dad brought home a big Admiral b&w for repair one time when I was a kid and the ultrasonic remote was so space age that kids from down the street came to see it. The electromechanical 2 to 13 VHF-only tuner was a real tough one for kids to change channel by hand on the TV itself (I think it was hard for most adults too!) so it was cool to use the remote and watch/listen as the motors/gears clunked the big tuner onto the next channel, giving the hardwood floor a bit of a thump. :)

Back to the contest!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
so it was cool to use the remote and watch/listen as the motors/gears clunked the big tuner onto the next channel, giving the hardwood floor a bit of a thump.
Heh, yeah that was it. The tuner was motor driven with gearing. When I found the old Zenith TV and remote over a decade ago, I looked in an antiques pricing book and sure enough, it was listed in there at $25, heh. I wasnt going to break my back or car trying haul it 60 miles home for a measly 25 bucks ! But it is a nifty piece of TV memorabilia, so I took the remote.

I did test the TV and remote at that time and everything was working fine, even though Im sure I could have repaired the tube chassis if it wasnt.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What a fun idea for spring!

Of course, you've caught me with nary a G-H anywhere to photograph. I suppose there might already be about four existing photos from 2008 on my site that I could copy to dh.ca and link here.

But really, this means I'll have to make sure the Ottawa GH8 build party happens sooner than later now!

Is there an objective (or subjective?) preference for any particular flavour(s) of G-H ?

My existing photos include the original colinear SBGH and DBGH designs, plus some newer variations. But the build party will likely focus on the modern GH8 (the most optimal materials/performance design of the latest theories, I think).

Cheers

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as its an authentic GH of some variety it is suitable for entering into this contest. :)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Yeah, my picture of the 1956 Zenith remote is in second place right now, right Stampeder ???

·
Registered
91 Posts
I will enter my build into the contest I'm just confused cause the photos were are allowed to host here are so limited... 600 x 800 pixels and 100k in size. I was hoping to post up some pics that were a lot higher res. I might have time to start/finish my next build before the contest ends but lately my 1st build has been working so well I'm having a hard time justifying the time to set aside to do my next build.

In fact I follow so many different types of forums lately I have had a hard time trying to find time just to follow this one.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
here are so limited... 600 x 800 pixels and 100k in size.
That size is fine because you must take pity on the 56K dial up users.

Just use a free program like Pixresizer to resize the image to the way you like it. Its as easy to use as you can get.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
There are *way* too many threads here with "stickies" on them.

But if ever a thread *needs* a sticky (for 3-4 weeks), this thread does!

Stampeder?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
There are *way* too many threads here with "stickies" on them.
I remember at the Abit USA site, who also used the vBulletin forum software, that some of the sticky threads were "tree leveled". Is that an option Stampeder ?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.