Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering switching from Shaw Cable in the Vancouver Area (White Rock) to TELUS' satelite service, which, from what I understand, is essentially a re-branded version of Bell ExpressVu.

I have had some very frustrating moments with Shaw, mostly to do with my PVRs. I have considered the switch to satelite for quite some time, and now with TELUS calling about bundling my services I am seriously considering it.

My two key concerns are picture quality and reliability/service outages. How does TELUS satelite TV compare to Shaw in terms of picture quality, most notably HD? I have read that Shaw is MPEG-4 and TELUS is not; not sure if what I read is out of date or inaccurate, or what the implications of that are. I have also read about satelite TV losing its signal in bad weather. Given that I am beside the ocean and we get a fair amount of wind and rain in the winter, should I expect to lose my signal often in the winter? Being a football fanatic I would be pretty p-o-ed if I lost my signal in the middle of a game. I know that can happen with cable too but with Shaw it has been rare.

I assume the PVRs are a wash. I have two dual-tuner PVRs now and figure TELUS' PVR is similiar, but if there are key differences please let me know.

I appreciate any feedback you can give before I make the switch. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find when I go to my father in laws house, his shaw HD looks crappy compared to my Bell HD. now it could be the TV as well. But I dont see how my bell picture can get any better then it currently is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
oh and I only lose signal in heavy thunderstorms. Never lose signal in winter.

and the once I lost signal for 5 mins during a UFC in a storm, they gave me a full refund on my purchase.

My dad lives in NF in a heavy snow location, and strong wind area, and he rarely loses signal, its so rare for either of us, that it doesnt bother you when it happens. Wait a few mins and its back.

Its like less then 5 times a year for me, and never more then 5 mins, usually less then a minute.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Bell (Telus) HD is not as sharp as Shaw HD. Bell is also harder to deal with when you have a problem. Bell's PVR's are more modern and have more features, and the Shaw PVR's (HD only) are older but more stable. I liken Bell's PVR's to Windows Vista, lots of features but very glitchy, and I liken Shaw's PVR's to the old DOS based system of years ago, very clunky but reliable. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rocking/jumpy, thanks for the replies. It's a tough call because I have to lock-in to TELUS without even seeing the product first, especially considering how hard the install will be at my house - some real challenges for the tech - so it's not like I can cancel after seeing the picture quality.

Sounds like the outages are very infrequent and brief so I could live with that. The picture could be a deal breaker. Not sure if I'll be happy if the picture is inferior.

What kinds of problems are there with the Bell/TELUS PVR?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Isn't it free installation with Telus Sat? Or did you have to sign a contract to get that?

I'm also wondering which Bell receivers (if any) will work with Telus Satellite. Anyone know?

Definitely considering switching, too. Are you looking at the Win Back promotion?

R0cc0

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey R0cc0. I was looking at the 3 yr lock-in for the free PVR rental, but yes, I believe it is free installation on a month to month basis.

What is the Win Back promotion?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great news, although I really do need to call Telus to confirm that for sure.

The Win Back promotion from what I've heard is something like Home Phone with one feature (e.g., CID) + Internet (6.0 Mbps) + Satellite 'Light' (most basic pkg) for $41/month.

It MAY only apply to someone who has previously left Telus completely, including the phone line, so I might not be eligible.

There's a 1-800 number to call... I'll see if I can dig it up.

HTH
R

·
Registered
12 Posts
$41/month is for...

12 months, then the rate jumps to $82/month for the same thing, although I'd heard someone else claim they were told $71/month for the post-12-months rate. Strange.

So yes, it's a great deal, unlike what Shaw was offering me when I called to say I was thinking about it, in spite of the repeated declarations of how 'great' a deal they were offering:

- $22/mo Internet for 6 months
- free Basic phone for 3 months, $14.95 for next 9
- no discount on TV, but free add-on of HD Plus ($9/mo value)

I'm still debating this - right now we have 6 TVs (essentially two families in the one house - in-laws) so rental costs on the boxes add up quickly.

However, I'd have to (apparently) cancel my Telus phone line, or rather switch to someone else, then once the number's ported over I can then apply for this "win back" deal. Clearly it's geared initially to getting the phone line service 'back', even though 2 of the other 3 services (Internet/TV) are with Shaw already.

Some other tidbits from the phone call:

Installation is FREE for the dish and to the first two boxes, then $50 extra per additional box. Again, that might add up for 6 total, but would be handy to have someone else do the work. And this install is free even if you don't go with a contract at all, I was told.

Only the same model of Bell receivers will work (or will be allowed, more like it) with Telus - the 6131 ($199 to buy) and the 9241 ($499).

A flat $5/month off (total) if you get a 1-yr term. I think more on a 2-yr or 3-yr term.

$10/month rental on each box - I wasn't told of a different amount for the PVR box (9241), but I would be surprised if it wasn't more.

Hope that helps someone else out there - I'd be curious to see what other people are told about this, like the rate after 12 months for starters!

R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh, and the normal add-on rates for extra channels applies, just as it is on their web site, so you can bump up from "Light" to "Medium" for an extra $26/month, where you choose different themes, etc.

R.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
What kinds of problems are there with the Bell/TELUS PVR?
I have a 9200 which has the "jump to live" bug. What that means is when I pause live TV and then start playback, my 9200 will often jump to live--which can be very annoying when watching sports. Other than that and the softer HD picture on most channels, I prefer the 9200 over my Shaw PVR's for ease of use. You can also have more than one Bell receiver in the same room and use them at the same time with remotes that have different addresses programmed in. The Shaw PVR's have only one address that can't be changed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is this with the 9241 that Telus has, or the 9242 the Bell offers? Might not be that bug on the Telus one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should hope it doesn't have that bug or I will never pause a live sporting event.

BTW, I just ordered TELUS TV today. Have to wait until Oct 6th for installation though. That's a bummer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I havent not experieced this live bug that you talk about. Unless you mean when you pause tv and unpause within 2-3 secs, yes it jumps to live TV. But thats the only time it does it, I always considered it normal since the pause is so short.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW, I talked to someone in Tech Support for Telus Satellite yesterday, and the fellow said the only two boxes supported on Telus are the 6131 and 9134 (not 9241)...and said no Bell boxes will work at all, which was sad to hear.

R

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also considering switching from Shaw to telus satellite with the PVR and all the info (althoough sometimes conflicting) seems to point towards Telus PVR being a single tuner and will not allow you to record one show while you watch another or record 2 shows at once? I have never had satellite so I would also appreciate any further input as Telus is offering phone (unlimited north american long distance), computer and satellite ( med satellite pkg) for $129.00/month first 3 months free. let me know what others are hearing

·
Registered
95 Posts
BTW, I talked to someone in Tech Support for Telus Satellite yesterday, and the fellow said the only two boxes supported on Telus are the 6131 and 9134 (not 9241)...and said no Bell boxes will work at all, which was sad to hear.
On the Telus quickreference PDF, the HD PVR is the 9241. Bell has both the 6131 and 9241, don't know what the 9134 is? Those receivers have the Telus logo on the front, instead of the Bell one. I just ordered Telus Satellite and my install date is Sept.19th! Looking forward to getting the HD PVR!:D

I am also considering switching from Shaw to telus satellite with the PVR and all the info (althoough sometimes conflicting) seems to point towards Telus PVR being a single tuner and will not allow you to record one show while you watch another or record 2 shows at once? I have never had satellite so I would also appreciate any further input as Telus is offering phone (unlimited north american long distance), computer and satellite ( med satellite pkg) for $129.00/month first 3 months free. let me know what others are hearing
Telus offers IPTV as well, you must be talking about the PVR for that. Telus Satellite HD PVR uses the 9241, which has the record 2 while watching a previously recorded program. Do a search for Telus 9241, plus there are other threads in Telus TV that talk about the 9241.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi mgilles,

I recently signed up for Telus Satellite, as well as their phone and internet packages. The Telus HD PVR that I was given for signing a three year contract allows one to watch a show while recording another, but in order for this to happen you have to have two connections (cables) coming into the PVR. Telus was kind enough to install a second connection for me so that the wife will be able to watch and record seperate shows at the same time. I don't know the model number of the unit that I was given. I am presently away on business, but upon returning home I can post the model number here.

I will say I find Telus's HD feed more crisp / vivid then Shaw's, but that's what my eyes are telling me. I am enjoying everything they have provided thus far and do not regret my decision for switching over to Telus from Shaw, at this time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The 9241 DOES record 2 show at once.
The first recording always gets set to tuner 2 and runs in the background much like the SD DVR530.
A 2nd recording in the same time slot grabs tuner 1 and so you can either watch that one or watch an existing recording off the disk.

All the Shaw HD signals currently are MPEG-2, not 4 as is the same for TTV.
While the TTV units are MPEG-4 ready out of the gate, Shaw will need to upgrade their headends and complete set top line to handle MPEG-4.

I find the TTV 9241 is comparable to my old DCT6412, but the 6412 had major audio dropouts related to some bad MPEG-2 delivered from Shaw and their upstream suppliers.

Haven't noticed it hardly if at all on the BTV/TTV signals.
On the wet coast, rain fade and the low look angle could be a bit of an issue. But up your own pair of 30" FTA dishes and use a switch to compensate for the fade if that's a show stopper.

It should now be much less of an issues since the new birds replaced the recycled space junk they had been using.
Signals are now strong enough to nuke a turkey.

The 720p is a bit softer the Shaw's 1080i signal.
I think the BEST signal is off the Shaw Direct feed and it's well positioned and uses technology more immune to rain fade, it's just their DVR530 is a little long in the teeth and short on features. I have one of those as well.

Can't seem to find the BEST combination.
Maybe just spend $$$$ on 100M internet and d/l all your shows in HD and watch on a full featured media extender/HTPC.

From Vancouver, OTA might be the best option and use the Hauppage HD PVR for time shifting or something.

Depends what you want MOST, no one TSP has it ALL it seems.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts