Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Shaw no longer allows you to rent a PVR, I am forced to buy one. As Shaw has no office here in Lloyd, I am forced to purchase it at Future Shop. The model offered at Future Shop is a Motorola DCX3400 HD PVR. My question regarding this is, does this one work with NFL Sunday Ticket or NHL Centre Ice? I don't currently subscribe to these but might next season and I noticed you needed a special receiver to do this.

I asked this question in another thread here but figured it doesn't hurt to repeat it here in case it doesn't get noticed in the other one. My job is a fluid job and could mean transferring outside of Shawland. Are the DCX3400's compatible with any other cable companies? If not, will it work like a VCR where so long as my Rogers/Eastlink etc. box is set to the right channel, the PVR will record the program?

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
NFL Sunday Ticket/Centre ICE use MPEG-4 - and yes this compatible

Will the DCX3400 work outside of Shaw land? Most likely not. You will have to sell online classifieds, etc. It needs an active Shaw signal to work so as soon as you lose power it will not work until it gets a signal from Shaw Head end. Hence you cannot take it out of your house

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know many years ago when my parents switched to Sasktel Max, Shaw purchased the equipment my parents had bought. Do they still do this? For $400 this is an expensive investment in something that if I had my way will be useless in 3 or 4 years (as my career plan takes me to Toronto).

Is it compatible with a Shaw Direct system? If that's the case, then I could always get one of those if I move outside of Shaw Cable's territory.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hence you cannot take it out of your house
That's not true.

You can take it to another Shaw customer's home (so long as they are on the same headend) and your DVR will work, even if they don't have the same package as you.

We've done this many times, successfully, to watch recorded movies with shut-in friends.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I know many years ago when my parents switched to Sasktel Max, Shaw purchased the equipment my parents had bought. Do they still do this? For $400 this is an expensive investment in something that if I had my way will be useless in 3 or 4 years (as my career plan takes me to Toronto).

Is it compatible with a Shaw Direct system? If that's the case, then I could always get one of those if I move outside of Shaw Cable's territory.
It's not compatible with Shaw Direct, as Shaw Direct is a satellite service using different technology.

It's also not compatible with [most] Rogers networks (which use incompatible Scientific Atlanta hardware), [most] phone companies' networks (which usually use IPTV), or with any other provider that requires you to buy their equipment.

OTOH, there may be a few canadian providers that allow you to provide your own boxes (I don't know which ones). Also, in the US, federal regulations explicitly allow you to supply your own compatible cable box, and use it with your cable provider, even if it wasn't originally purchased from them. A person could use the same cable box with Comcast, Cox, and even Verizon FiOS TV.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Never fails too. I bought one a week ago and I love it. However, I found out that there's a good chance of being transferred to Toronto in the next couple months.

Shaw doesn't exist in the GTA does it? I seem to remember that it did at one point, but I was pretty sure that Shaw and Rogers swapped companies. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I may have to explore living in Hamilton if I do indeed move. Gotta check commuting time. The $400 I spent on the PVR is not worth a two hour plus commute.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are a few (usually smaller) companies which let you reprogram boxes from another provider as long as they're programmable by them. An example is Novus in Vancouver. As long as you have one of the boxes which they can program (basically any box Shaw has ever sold), they will preform an OTA reprogram on the box to allow it to work.

I'm not saying all companies will do this, most won't. But most can as long as they sell the same equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts