Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace the old, basic Dell PC. My wife wants an IMac.I've always used PC's , and I have a few questions :

Will PC games such as Formula1 2010 run on an IMac ??

Can software such as Aperture 3 be added later ??

Thanks.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Will PC games such as Formula1 2010 run on an IMac ?
Some PC have MAC versions which you buy separately but the short answer is no.

You can run Boot Camp which allows you to install Windows (you must buy a separate licence) and Windows on your Mac.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Any PC program will run on an iMac if it has the Intel Chipset, I believe, but you will need to also run Windows on the machine, this is where I would stop. Running Windows on any kind of machine, opens you up to all the Viri, etc that affect normal PC's. You will have to ensure firewalls, Anti-Virus is all in place.

That said, you just use Boot Camp, or Parallels, to Dual Boot the machine and away you go.

Any compatible Software can be added at a later date, no problems.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Best/fastest Windows PC I've ever used is my i5 8GB RAM iMac.

Using VMware Fusion, WinXP and Win7 are faster than any other box I've tried (granted, I haven't sat down at a $3K gaming demon, but still...)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I found the same thing when I tried XP on my Mac Book Pro, it was great. I think I used Boot Camp.

I am looking for a cheap Mac to run Windows myself, just for gaming.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.My wife loves Apple,but I'm not thrilled about their cost.However we will probably get an IMac anyway..

·
Registered
53 Posts
You mentioned not being thrilled about the cost.

Just replaced my last iMac with a new 27 iMac i5 this year. The old one was four years old. Never gave me a moments grief.

It was actually hard to replace because I really didn't need to, still did everything I needed, just wanted something newer and faster.

I believe I sold it for about 50% of what I paid for it too.

So if you look at the cost per year, hours of satisfaction, resale, reliability and ease of use I think it's a bargain!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
So if you look at the cost per year, hours of satisfaction, resale, reliability and ease of use I think it's a bargain!
Boy do I wish more people would see it this way! So many people pay attention to the initial cost and nothing else.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Don't forget to factor in the savings for no virus protection,
$0 (MSE)

and the value of the iLife suite.
Variable, depending on your needs. For photos there are a number of free solutions like Picasa that are arguably better than iPhoto. Instead of iMovie I'd recommend this for ~$45 USD.

I'm not saying that Macs are bad and that you shouldn't get one, but I think some of the arguments in this thread are stretching the truth quite a bit. Mac's have nice looking hardware that is well integrated with the software, but you're still getting measurably less for your money.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
To: 99semaj and DancesWithLysol

Enough. Continue with the silliness and your posts will be removed and possible infractions issued.

The OP's questions have been answered so leave it at that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Expensive YES! but you get what you paid for. I always buy my imacs from apples refurn site. Great way to save 3-400$ on a machine.

Another thing to consider is resale value. I bought a Imac for 1100 over two years ago. I had people on kijiji lining up to buy it at 850$. Makes it a lot easier to upgrade you mac when needed.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Not to venture off-topic, but the exception to that "Macs hold their resale value" would have to be the original MacBook Air. What were they - $2500+ with the SSD three months ago? Now, do you think you could get $1K for one of those? :)

(Back on topic): Refurb is where I buy my Mac stuff. Well, either that or from Craigslist (never had a problem with warranty, either, with second-hand Mac gear).

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry, no idea on Macbook.

I was responding to the query regarding iMacs. I passed along my success story.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
To: 99semaj and DancesWithLysol

Enough. Continue with the silliness and your posts will be removed and possible infractions issued.

The OP's questions have been answered so leave it at that.
I don't mean to create off-thread noise with this post, but I honestly have no idea what you are referrring to, unless there's posts from others that got deleted and I can't see them. There's no rules broken either literally or in spirit.

I guess you can issue an infraction for backtalking to a moderator.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update :
Picked up new iMac on 23Dec : 21.5" 1TB with Microsoft Office Home and Student edition.I haven't had much time to play yet,but so far I'm liking it.

We also received a $300 Apple gift card from our family. I'm trying to decide on an Ipod Classic to store all my music on and dump all the boxes of CD's , or Apple TV and an enternal hard drive for back-up.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Nice machine, I hope you really enjoy it.

I think youre on the right track considering a NAS type storage (i use a 2TB WD MyStudio in RAID1 mode) and an Apple TV media extender to really leverage the multimedia strength of the iMac. I also use an Airport Express unit for Airplay so that I can have whole house audio.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts