Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi for about a month or two now I have had problems with my internet - I am an avid gamer logging onto things like WoW and Xbox LIVE daily so this is really starting to become a problem... What is happening is my internet will be fine then suddenly go out or become extremely slow however it is the random internet shutdowns that are starting to become a real problem.. Once in awhile and by that I mean atleast 10 times a day (Today has been bad with about 30 times) the light indicating the internet is on will turn off wait afew seconds then go red or it will just shut off and come back 10 seconds...

This would not be a problem if much of what I do including my business and my gaming revolved around my internet use and I thought it could be problems with my router setup so I double checked it and it is not the problem, then I though perhaps my phone filter was worn out so I replaced it and still it does this... I am starting to get angry and I am seriously considering switching to a different service provider because this is just getting on my last nerve and I need a fix for this and fast! I have done the following things to attempt to remedy the situation but none have worked.

1. Reset my router (Wireless and main hub) countless times
2. Checked my configurations on the router.
3. Replaced the phone filter that connects to the main hub.

Please someone help me with this.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Up until recently, I had the exact same issue (I'm in the Kitchener area). Calls to Bell were of no help whatsoever. For me, it's especially bothersome as I run VOIP; effectively leaving me without a reliable landline.

I doubt it's your stuff at home. There's definitely been something up with their network.

Things have been stable the last two weeks, however. If the service goes south again, I'll definitely be switching to cable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree it is something up with the Bell network, the last 2 weeks I have had net connection issues, not 30 a day but every few days I have been rebooting my router...some indications have been while surfing the web, my wireless Ubuntu laptop has been getting DNS errors going to some sites, cannot resolve host name etc, I have been rebooting the laptop and router and it seems fine...I have not seen this issue with my hardwired desktops but I use the laptop most of the time for web surfing....
I think Bell is making changes to their network is my guess.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I had a similar issue with intermittent syncing once. Bell checked the lines, no problem found. It turned out to be an intermittent modem at my end. The way to check is to get (borrow) another modem and see if the problem disappears. It could be a line problem but don't rule out the modem either. It could also be line or equipment problems in the house.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it's complete bull lol... The service Bell is doing what with these internet caps and all! If I am paying like 70$ a month for a cap I atleast want the best damn service available but that doesn't seem to be happening. I hope they resolve this quickly.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If its wiring in the house or other equipment, such as a faulty phone, Bell will charge $90 for a service call. You might want to rule those out first. If the modem is rented and faulty, it's on their dime.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You might have micro power outage on that line. Short enough to reboot the modem constantly but too short for you to notice otherwise. Try plugging a lamp on. DNS errors you can easily solve by using another DNS server like Open DNS (208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220) or Google DNS (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts