Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Chaps,

I wonder if somebody could assist me in finding out how I connect an Acer Aspire X3400 with mini jack 5:1 audio output to the SR875.

This reciever only has optical or coxial audio inputs?

Acer tech support was useless, they had no idea how to do this....as usual crappy support from some call center in the middle of nowhere!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
If the 5.1 jack is optical digital, you should be able to find a cable that will connect from it to the receiver's optical digital input.

If it's coaxial, then it's just a matter of running and RCA-to-RCA cable from PC to receiver.

Curious: The Acer has HDMI out, and the receiver has HDMI in. Does the PC's HDMI output handle audio as well, or is it strictly video?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eljay,

First off thanks for your reply.

When I put up the audio card information on the OSD on my TV it shows 5:1 and 7:1 DVD quality capabilities when I connect any audio device to one of the 3.5mm jacks. It displays a 5:1 or 7:1 home theatre image.

I cannot tell if this is a coaxial signal or not. Ik cannot be optical as it is mini jack connection? I have the following 3.5mm jacks on the back of the Acer

Pink (Mic)
Green
Blue
Orange
Black

This maybe a stupid question but do all HDMI interfaces carry 5:1 audio or is it just two channel audio and video?

Cheers,

Ben

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
The multiple jacks may mean (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the PC will decode the digital audio and pass multi-channel analogue audio through those outputs. If that's the case, I think what you'll need are a few 3.5mm stereo - to - L+R RCA cables to pass that audio to your receiver's multi-channel analogue inputs. (I checked, and it does have multi-channel analogue inputs.)

As for HDMI, it can handle video and at least up to 7.1-channel lossless (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD) audio. However, you'll have to check the manual for your PC to determine whether or not its HDMI outputs are actually configured to pass both video and audio (and not just video, seeing as how they're listed as being part of the video card).

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking these 3.5 mm jack outputs are analog not digital. Would that be a correct assumption?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it helps a lot.

The HDMI on my Acer only puts out two channel audio and video.

You are also correct about the 3.5 mm jacks which are indeed an analog signal. Where would be the best place to pick up these 3.5 mm to RCA L/R cables.

I was also looking into getting a PCIe sound card with optical output which would make it very easy too. Trying to find a cheap one that fits into the compact cabinet seems to be a problem locally, everybody carries the full size PCI cards.

Thanks for the brain storming eljay.

Ben

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
You are also correct about the 3.5 mm jacks which are indeed an analog signal. Where would be the best place to pick up these 3.5 mm to RCA L/R cables.
I'd go to monoprice(.com). Enter 5598 in the "Search" box. The cables come in various lengths, but I think that's the type you'll need.

Thanks for the brain storming eljay.
Glad to help. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up some cables tried to get it to work through the multichannel reciever inputs but got no sound......:mad: Tried everything!!!!!:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ben, I have the same Acer as you, but don't have a receiver for it yet. I thought it outputs multichannel audio over the HDMI, as opposed to only two. Are you sure that it only does two channels?

In terms of adding a vid card, you may be interested in ATI 5450's.. They go for around $50.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Picked up some cables tried to get it to work through the multichannel reciever inputs but got no sound......:mad: Tried everything!!!!!:(
Sorry if this sounds obvious but:
- On your PC, did you set the sound card to decode and output audio over the multi-channel outputs?
- On your receiver, did you assign and then select the multi-channel inputs for audio? (See pgs. 54 and 70 of the owner's manual for details.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts