Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just spoke to a Shaw CSR and they told me that the 830 PVR cannot be used with a single line. Is this correct? Or would I only be able to record what I watch like a single tuner PVR? I want to switch from Bell to Shaw but I cannot run another line...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Today, in a normal residential scenario, you can have a 1 tuner/line PVR, but you would be limited to recording 1 thing, and would have to watch your PVR or VOD (or the in-progress recording) while doing so. The Channel Stacking Switch (CSS) that has been referred to in previous posts is currently only deployed (at least by Shaw Direct) in commercial situations. You may be able to find the one I linked above elsewhere, though, which would make 2 tuners possible for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.

That's what I thought but I got discouraged when the CSR told me the receiver wouldn't work at all. I've had a single tuner PVR before and although not ideal I'm willing to make due as long as in-progress recording is still available to me.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
@x4n2t0x, You are not limited to "in progress" (what some people call "Pause Live TV"). You can also watch a programme that has previously been recorded while recording another programme. Of course you cannot watch one channel live, while recording a different channel because that would require two tuners.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
This is an area where Shaw really needs to step up and provide equipment to feed dual tuner satellite PVRs with a single cable. Bell did so years ago. It's not like the equipment is not available. Not doing so is probably driving away customers.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I can honestly say that I would have switched to Shaw Direct (from Bell Satellite) years ago if Shaw would provide receivers that can connect using one cable for dual tuners and if they had receivers that had zero audio drop-outs.

Those two conditions are non-negotiable!

81 - 94 of 94 Posts