Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im new here.
I want to ask about the prices of HDPVR's offered by Shaw.
Currently they have two available.

The HDPVR 1tb
http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Television/HDTV/Hardware-HDPVR.htm
or the HDPVR 500gb (i assume its the new pace)
http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Television/HDTV/Hardware-HDPVR-Rental.htm

They cost exactly the same?
is the 500 gb better over than the 1tb feature wise?
and also does the term 'Provides access to Four active outlets, with cable programming for other rooms" mean i can unsubscribe from basic cable?

thanks for your help.

·
Banned
181 Posts
You want the Moto box the DCX3400 (500 GB box) the other ones are the Pace boxes and a lot of trouble with them.......a ton of trouble read the threads and post here in this forum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The best value is to buy the Pace 758D by itself then buy a 2 TB hard drive and ESATA enclosure for about the same price as the Shaw packages. The capabilities of the DCX3400 and Pace 758D are mostly equivalent except for a possible upgrade to a whole home capability for the DCX3400 in the future.

While the 758D did have the very annoying 1 minute recording problem and while fast-forwarding or rewinding, it will usually go one step farther than it should, the latest firmware has fixed nearly all the problems, for me at least. And from reading the DCX3400 thread at the well known American AV forum, the DCX3400 has some of the same issues that the Pace did.

and also does the term 'Provides access to Four active outlets, with cable programming for other rooms" mean i can unsubscribe from basic cable?
You'll always need to subscribe to at least basic cable.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The most recent Pace firmware update did nothing to fix my severe 1-minute blank recordings on my two Summits. Not everyone has experienced problems but for some of us those problems were, and would still be, severe.

I finally had my SUmmits replaced by Motorola DCX3400s and while I too have waited for some of the reported problems to develop, so far none have and it seems almost heavenly to be able to depend upon scheduled recordings actually taking place.

There was much I liked about the Pace PVRs but that was outweighed by the frustration of never knowing whether a scheduled recording was going to take place or not. Since the last update there has been a deafening silence on a permanent fix for the 1-minute blank recordings, but, fortunately for me, I no longer have to worry about it.

You can check in the Aspen and Summit threads, if you like, for details about my (and other folks') ongoing problems with the Pace firmware.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Pace 758D
I just built my hard drive unit WD 1 tera byte with a 3 foot esata cable and a 39 dollar hard drive external box and it worked not a problem after calling shaw to activate the unit.
Much to my surprize I must keep the unit on or wait a long time for the two units to sync up if I turn off the hard drive, I am very happy to date.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you do go ahead and get a Pace PVR (and I wouldn't, having just gotten rid of mine) make sure you read Adding a SATA Drive To Pace HDPVRs for tips on what works well (eSATA only and some eSATA/USB drive enclosures) and what doesn't (most eSATA/USB enclosures).

I've never had to call Shaw to "activate" an external HDD so far. I have had to ask for a PVR reset occasionally because some features including, but not limited to, external HDDs weren't working properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts