Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stampeder - since CIAN is partly owned by CTVGlobemedia - any new DTV transmitter will very likely be sited at the CFCN tower. This tower has already been fitted with a multipanel Kathrein UHF antenna in 2001 at 206 meters EHAAT. Given the broadcasters cost constraints nowadays, it seems most unlikely that any choice other than UHF would be cost effective.

CTV transmission staff have confirmed to me that they presently maintain the existing Channel 13 analog installation at the CBC mast.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
More on CIAN

I'd suggested to CTV Calgary's engineering staff that they re-assign their current low-power DTV transmitter for use by Access. They said it was a great idea but also said the low-power transmitter was a loaner from the network, so it might be shipped off for use at another CTV property once CFCN's high-power transmitter is installed and operational.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CIAN-DT status

Downbeat - Did you ask CTV staff about the CIAN STL status? This may be more of an issue (with both cost and timing) as a greater bandwidth may be needed for CIAN-DT versus what they are presently using.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
All I know is that CIAN's master control is actually in Toronto. As a consequence, I was told, there are concerns about how to feed a signal to CIAN-DT once that station's digital transition occurs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CIAN-DT status.

downbeat - Yes - this would seem to be a key issue. I wonder if anyone has considered moving the Access feed distribution centre to Calgary along with the new CTV system, which now feeds all of Western Canada, as this may help greatly with feed resources, quality and ultimately costs?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Access - CIAN TV Status update!

Calgary's CIAN Channel 13 (9.9 Kw ERP) analog transmitter and presumably CJAL Edmonton will be staying on the air passing the mandatory Aug 31 2011 DTV changeover date for Calgary as Access is classified as an Educational channel and is subject to different CRTC regulations for Digital implementation. The DTV changeover plan will apparently be revisited when the broadcast license expires in 2011. :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well I guess that is better than shutting them down, I just wish they would get on with it instead of seemingly avoiding the inevitable.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
j0dest3r - The CTVGlobemedia contact explained that the company is working on 22 transmitter changeouts nationally at the present time and that these are all high on their priority list. When this work load has been executed somewhat, then some of the other priorities will also be transitionned.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Ahh you are right Billsmith I guess I am just sourgrapes at the moment b/c there is only one channel available to me at the moment. I know it will all happen in time.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Calgary's CIAN Channel 13 (9.9 Kw ERP) analog transmitter and presumably CJAL Edmonton will be staying on the air passing the mandatory Aug 31 2011 DTV changeover date for Calgary as Access is classified as an Educational channel and is subject to different CRTC regulations for Digital implementation.
Has this been agreed upon by the CRTC or is it just CTVgm's interpretation? With TVO (more of an Educational channel than Access IMHO) migrating in all mandatory markets I wouldn't be surprised if this "policy" is just wishful thinking on CTVgm's part.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roger1818 CTVglobemedia here in Calgary tell me that this the case. No action on channel 13 or CIAN-DT this year or next. This OTA station simply isn't on their "things to do" list.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Roger1818 CTVglobemedia here in Calgary tell me that this the case. No action on channel 13 or CIAN-DT this year or next. This OTA station simply isn't on their "things to do" list.
I can easily believe that it isn't on their "things to do" list. My point is if they don't do it, the CRTC will insist that the analog transmitters be shut down.

Thinking more about it, there is likely some confusion somewhere and the "different CRTC regulations" for Educational channels are that they will be permitted to stay on basic analog cable after they shut down their transmitters. In my mind, unless it affects their funding from the Alberta government, CTVgm don't care if Access is available OTA or not and would love to have it become cable only. The only down side for them is they will lose their simultaneous substitution rights (thought they will likely fight to try and keep them).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CIAN-DT

I can easily believe that it isn't on their "things to do" list. My point is if they don't do it, the CRTC will insist that the analog transmitters be shut down.
Here is the reply from Edmonton:

Regarding DTV and Access, yes Calgary is a mandatory market but Access is licensed as an Education station and therefore is not required to go DTV by the Aug 31, 2011 deadline.
Doesn't say anything about analog transmitters being shutdown??

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Doesn't say anything about analog transmitters being shutdown??
My only thought is the person you are talking to is one of the following:
  • misleading you,
  • misinformed or
  • delusional. ;)
To the best of my knowledge the CRTC has not said anything about giving exemptions to educational stations. The fact that TVO is migrating in all mandatory markets (even small ones like Thunder Bay) further proves my point.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
How can they abandon that spectrum to re-sell it but leave the odd analog channel active b/c they are considered educational. If they don't migrate it, I have a feeling they will be forced to shut it off. :mad:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the CRTC has not said anything about giving exemptions to educational stations. The fact that TVO is migrating in all mandatory markets (even small ones like Thunder Bay) further proves my point.
Someone should contact the CRTC for clarification on this.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
How can they abandon that spectrum to re-sell it but leave the odd analog channel active b/c they are considered educational. If they don't migrate it, I have a feeling they will be forced to shut it off. :mad:
No analog station may stay on "to-be-sold" spectrum after August 31, 2011. This means channels 52-69. This does not apply to analog stations below channel 52.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roger1818 - I'm now under the impresion that things could get more interesting as we approach August 31 2011.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Roger1818 - I'm now under the impresion that things could get more interesting as we approach August 31 2011.
Ya, though we may not see it. If the confusion is within CTVgm, things could get crazy when the realize that they will be losing their simultaneous substitution rights. Even worse, the deadline for applying for a PT license has expired for both Edmonton and Calgary. :eek:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.