Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on Bell Express Vu for condos HD

I have had expressvu for condos since june 2005 and I have been fed the song and dance about HD, its in testing, they are testing the RG3000 etc. I finally cut through all the crap and got the straight answer.

HD wont be available till 2008 at the earliest , thats right 2008. And PVR wont happen till then either. They are waiting on the new version of IPTV from microsoft. There is a good bet that you wont see HD, or PVR till mid 2008. So if you are like me and you bought that expensive HD TV. You need to look at Rogers. And if you want to verfiy this just call Bell.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
ghost999 wrote
HD wont be available till 2008 at the earliest , thats right 2008.
It better be in by Feb 19, 2009, or else the "basic" package is going to become even more basic.

They are waiting on the new version of IPTV from microsoft.
The same people who took 5 years to bring you Vista. Nuff said.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rumour: BEV for Condos has HD and PVR available

FINALLY!!!
Bell ExpressVu for Condos has HD and PVR available.
Here is a copy of the notice I just received at my condo in Toronto:
Bell is please to announce that your building is now equipped to offer you ExpressVu High Definition (HD) television and Personal Video Recorders (PVRs).
Over the past few weeks we have upgraded your building to offer a new technology that will support HD and PVR services. This change only affects those residents wishing to upgrade their service by renting an HD and/or PVR receiver. Please note additional charges will apply if you choose to upgrade to this additional programming and/or receiver. If you are not interested in subscribing to these new services, no action is required on your part.

For those interested in learning more about HD and PVR services from Bell, we will be hosting information nights where you will be able to:
- Select your new receiver
- Order HD programming
- Book an installation appointment
- Order any additional Bell services
I will be attending the information session and placing my order for a HD PVR.

Any suggestions for questions I should ask at the information session?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Ask them why they pulled their advertising from Digital Home and ask them why they tried to deny the existence of MPEG4 receivers even though they have announced them to dealers.

Also, Ask them if hundreds of thousands of users will be able to pirate the signals as easily as all the FTA users pirating DTH signals.

Just curious

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Any suggestions for questions I should ask at the information session?
I gather you have moved up to HD since early in this thread ... bet you are anxious to start enjoying it!

Inquiring minds want to know:
  • how soon will it be installed?
  • which model hardware?
  • how many HD + SD streams at once?
  • can you get HD on more than one TV?
  • does the Bell box have to be directly connected to the HD set? HDMI? Component?
  • will there be more/different HD channels than ExpressVu satellite?
  • is the onscreen TV guide longer than 2 days?
  • how much Sympatico bandwidth is available (top speed)?
  • what are the costs, anyway?
  • finally, is this a real product or just an extension of the beta testing?
Lots of others but those are interesting to know.

I have stated repeatedly that, if EV TV for Condos properly supports HD and is available in my building, I would certainly be kicking the tires.

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but...

I'm aware of video over DSL technology somewhat, but I didn't see anywhere in the announcement that it was NOT satellite delivered.

Surely an upgrade to DPP technology would permit HD and 2 tuner 9200 PVR models to be used in an MDU, but I've also heard that MDU's aren't a supported product going forward.

Is there much talked about IPTV product going to bear the ExpressVu branding?
Is that a good thing considering the negative connotations it has earned?
Could it be confusing to potential new and existing customers?
Would potential satellite customers see it as the end to sat delivered signals and be S.O.L. figuring they were moving to DSL and if not in a metro area served by cable, the next choice would be DTH (aka *C)?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bell ExpressVu TV For Condos is delivered from a head end to a local DSLAM over fibre (aka basement of the condo) and then up the elevator shaft / access shafts via existing twisted pair phone lines, sharing TV, Internet and POTS. Because the run lengths are relatively short, more reliable bandwidth can be assured. The existing VDSL product maxes out at around 15 mbps; the improved version, VDSL2/VDSL2+ with IPTV maxes at around 26 mbps; with pair bonding (using four wires instead of two, and assuming they are available to the suite), pushing out to 40 mbps is possible.

My understanding is the current version about to release -- referenced above -- is the 26 mbps variety. Therefore 1 HD stream (8-10 mbps/MPEG4) + 3 SD streams (3 mbps each) + 6 mbps Internet maxes out the pipe. This leaves no room for a 2nd HD stream; or HD PVR capability. However, most of this "enlightened speculation" since Bell hasn't formally announced the service or hardware specs.

The closest model is believed to be AT&T U-Verse; PVR is available but not HD PVR; only one HD stream is available. The service has had serious scalability problems as was limited to 3000 homes as recently as last December. By late May, AT&T was reporting 20,000 homes subscribing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't enjoy HD YET, I have been holding back from buying my HD TV until it was available in my condo (which it is now ;)).

Thank you for the ideas on questions to ask.

I know from reading posts in this forum there are many people here that understand a great deal about Home Theater.

Thank you for your help.

I will post an update after the meeting with Bell on Thursday....

·
Registered
19 Posts
VDSL Does NOT support HD at this time (...)

My building (VDSL equipped) announced that HD is now available.

I just got back from the information session and here is the scoop:
- The VDSL technology does not support HD at this time
- Since we were kicking and screaming for HD they have installed a BEV dish on the roof and are supplying us with BEV HD receivers (with optional PVR)
- The hardware is the Echostar DE15 (Bell calls it the 9200)
- HD is only available on one TV (the other TV's in the condo will get SD)
- The box has HDMI, Component and USB connections

Either way, I don't care how HD is getting onto my TV (Satellite or VDSL) and it is finally here.

Off I go to pick up my HD TV (finally!).

P.S. I apologize if I gave anyone the wrong idea that VDSL now supports HD because it does not.

·
Before there are lots of questions about the Echostar DE15, let me just add this,

Echostar - Dish Player DVR (DE15 942)

It is indeed the Express Vu 9200.

I hope you enjoy your HD, it sounds like Express Vu actually came through.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
MDU_PVR_Please ...

Thanks very much for your follow-up report.

The fact that Bell installed a dish on your roof and added whatever extra internal boxes in the basement and wiring to make this all work ... instead of rolling out the promised IPTV in your condo (since 2004? and it still hasn't been delivered?!?) ... Suggests they are STILL not ready to risk launching something they can't get working properly.

The mind boggles on this one. MTS and SaskTel are delivering HD over phone lines; AT&T U-Verse is essentially what Bell has been promising as far as I can figure out ... but instead of delivering the goods ... Bell puts a dish on the roof after all this time. Truly remarkable.

Enjoy your new TV! It may be a while before you get Showcase, National Geographic, TMN's 3rd Movie Channels in HD, and whatever Rogers is launching this fall (assuming they do), but you will be able to enjoy a bunch of great channels. Be sure to check out HDNet!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not quite sure if i understand this then...

so do you have a HD PVR that is essentially running off a dish, rather than the vdsl?

i've do EVU for Condos, and am desperate for a PVR... don't care about HD (at the moment) as i'm not in the market for a new tv...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not quite sure if i understand this then...

so do you have a HD PVR that is essentially running off a dish, rather than the vdsl?

i've do EVU for Condos, and am desperate for a PVR... don't care about HD (at the moment) as i'm not in the market for a new tv...
There are three buildings in my complex.

For the customers who are happy with Standard Definition, they will remain on the VDSL system. It is my understanding that a PVR is not available for the customers that stay with the VDSL (Standard Definition) service. I would suggest you call Bell and confirm 1-888-759-3474.

For the customers who would like High Definition, they will be moved to Bell Expressvu satellite. There is one dish which will serve all three buildings and customers have a choice of either a High Definition set top box or a HD set top box with PVR.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
There remains the option to switch to Rogers in most cases as I understand it ... ExpressVu TV for Condos being an option, rather required by the condo board. (Although in a few buildings, TV is bought "bulk" as is the case with MDU_PVR_Please.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are three buildings in my complex.

For the customers who are happy with Standard Definition, they will remain on the VDSL system. It is my understanding that a PVR is not available for the customers that stay with the VDSL (Standard Definition) service. I would suggest you call Bell and confirm 1-888-759-3474.

For the customers who would like High Definition, they will be moved to Bell Expressvu satellite. There is one dish which will serve all three buildings and customers have a choice of either a High Definition set top box or a HD set top box with PVR.
it almost seems like they're giving up making PVR available to VDSL users in the short term.

Though a google search unearths this recently posted job:

http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/db/belljobs_e.job_posting?pi_job_id=7424351&pi_search_id=559892980&pi_sort=POST_DATE&pi_curjob=41&pi_maxjob=158

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too had the option to move to Rogers but it would have cost me (in my specific situation) a lot more.

This is because our condo maintenance fees include the cost of TV service. The board selected Bell Expressvu. Therefor, it costs me $10/month for the HD upgrade and an additional $10/month for the PVR upgrade.

If I abandonned the bulk ExpressVu deal then I would not get reimbursed that portion of my condo maintenance fee and I would have to order standard and high def from rogers which adds up quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got a quote for Rogers for comparable service to what I get from vdsl, plus a PVR... it was way more than I pay for Bell - and my vdsl isn't subsidised by my condo board.

The biggest boon for me of vdsl is the ability to have exactly the same channel line up etc on multiple tv sets, something that requires more than one STB for rogers, hence the price hike I imagine. i don't care that it's coaxial to the other tv's etc, i just like being able to watch all the premium channels upstairs.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
You could rent additional STBs from Rogers or buy them outright -- MSRP at $99; dealers frequently have an "at the till" price of $49.

With VDSL you get a good selection of channels; none in HD; no access to PVR; no On Demand programming.

The VIP package -- $58.97 regular and less for new subs -- includes 225 channels, one STB, and six channels with full On Demand (that is: MTV, Treehouse, NFL Network, HGTV, National Geographic, Food Network) and around 3000 other titles, including tons of movies, for a 24-hr fee. And you can get ALL the programming in crisp 100% digital picture and sound on ALL TVs with an STB in the house.

Swap out the STB for an HD box and pay $8.96 more and get 16 HD channels at no additional cost.

Bell ExpressVu VDSL TV For Condos has merits as a niche product -- including those satisfied with a slowish Internet. Try asking for the "standard" 7 mbps service Rogers offers as Express with your VDSL service.

The point is: Bell's Condo TV is ok for some people. So long as HD, PVR, multicultural channels, On Demand, faster Internet and exclusive channels like Bloomberg, MSNBC, Ontario Legislature, Turner Classic Movies and others aren't important to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Weird. I find the internet on my VDSL ev for condos to be pretty snappy. I admit it's not 7mbps though!

My bill in total (phone, tv and internet) averages around the $160-170 mark.

Could Rogers beat that? I'd need Caller ID, Voicemail on the phone. Decent (ie not lite) internet, and two STB units, one a standard PVR...

I know it comes down to packages (ie channel packages) at the end of it all, but i have whatever you get when you get the movies and not sport...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My bill in total (phone, tv and internet) averages around the $160-170 mark.

Could Rogers beat that? I'd need Caller ID, Voicemail on the phone. Decent (ie not lite) internet, and two STB units, one a standard PVR...
Phone, 6 features, all extra charges like system access fees, 5 cent LD -- about $50 • VIP, with 225 channels and On Demand -- about $60 • Internet Express, 7 mbps, unlimited mail box storage, 9 e-mail, unlimited photos, 15 MB web space, 20 MB attachments, full Norton Security, about $50 • bundle all three and save 10% a month, about -$16 • add a second STB and a dual-tuner PVR for $25 ... I'm at $169 so far and that includes Turner Classic Movies.

You can tweak packages this way and that to get what you need/want; new customers get a bit of a deal but the Bundles give you a good rate every day as an ongoing customer.

You'll pay about the same, or a little more; you'll get a lot more.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts