Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're concerned that having FibeTV also forces you to pay for Fibe Internet, complain here:

<code>
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GHÉT-7TDNA5
</code>

Let them know that you feel Bell's practices may be in contravention of section 77 of the Competition Act, as it relates to Tied Selling.

Ask them to order Bell to unbundle the FibeTV offering.

(essentially, opt to clear forwarding of vlan35 to your cellpipe, keeping vlan36 active, and stop billing you extra for Sympatico as an ISP.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tied selling ? are you kidding me ? The whole industry lives on coercion. Are you just waking up to it ??

This isn't any different than forcing you to subscribe to package A in order to "qualify" for package B. They've been doing it for decades to the point that quite frankly, they don't really seem to be realizing it anymore. Low balling, bait and switch, you name it: i've been a Bell customer for just under 6 months now and they already tried them all!

Look at your provinces or area's consumer protection bureau's statistic and you'll find that compagnies like Rogers and Bell all rank amazingly high in general complaints. It's nothing new and nothing the authorities don't know anything about. Companies only buck every now and then when enough pressure is applied on one issues in particular, but it is almost always a passing measure and old habits are often quick to return.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's still worth a shot. I filed a complaint and got a call back the next day. We'll see happens next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Bell rep just came to my door. I have already investigated fibetv and am probably going to sign up when he returns. Just checking the boards to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Anyway, I'm already a fibe6 customer so it's not an issue for me, but the rep said that the fibre only runs down the street and the entry into my house and the internal connections all use the existing coax. I have Rogers at the moment.

If that's true it probably makes sense that Rogers internet and fibetv can't both use the coax. That means that fibetv users can't have rogers internet. Now that doesn't mean they can't use other DSL carriers for their internet.

Do I have this right? Is the rep right?

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
@corak, the fibre is connected to your home using the existing Bell telephone lines. Fibe TV doesn't use Rogers' coax. Once inside your home the digital TV signals can be distributed to the set-top-box at each TV using existing coax cable or Ethernet cable.

Bell only sells Fibe TV if you also get Fibe internet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Dr. Dave is correct, FibeTV works together with Fibe internet technology. One of the advantange is when you are not watching TV, the additional bandwidth will work like a "speed boost" to your Fibe internet connection.

Both TV and Internet will have a guranteed speed when both are in use.

Your location is a house, so it is Fibre to the Home.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
342 Posts
Fibre to the Home

From what I have read there is only Fibre to the home in Quebec City from Bell. I don't know if that delivers Fibe Tv or just Internet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Bell's FTTH (Fibre to the Home) is now available to Ontario and Quebec City and Greater Montreal Area.

For Ontario, it is availale in new housing developments and as of January 2011, it is also available to more customers in existing developments.

So it depends on the area, customer will have mixed (both Copper and FTTH), but Data will always be FTTH.

As for the speed boost, it is available from Fibe6 in Ontario, in selected areas.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Corak - For my Fibe install I told them I didn't want my existing wiring touched. They ran new wire into my house for the VDSL modem. My setup wasn't that complicated though. I only have a TV in one room.

·
Super Moderator
56,532 Posts
Data will always be FTTH
FTTH is only available in a very select few small locations in Canada. Please do not confuse Fibe (which has the last mile in copper and is the (misleading) name of a service) and FTTH, which means fibre optic goes all the way to the home. The latter is not available to 99% of the population as mentioned in post 5.

Although I'm not sure if this is the case for this particular provider, it's necessary to have the internet connection to authenticate and authorize the viewing of PVR'd programming. (it won't work without it)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't think that's accurate. The authentication/authorization is done through vlan 36, which is bell's private network. It also serves all the IPTV traffic. The 'internet' part of the bundle uses vlan 35.

I see no technical reason for this bundling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Form filled out. And I suggest more people to file a complaint.
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5

I just want to get my internet from TekSavvy and the Fibe TV from Bell.
The 40 gig cap is killing me and I now pay for an extra 40 gig that I also burn though each month.
There is no technical reason to force Bell internet with Fibe TV.
I was told it is the 'company police to bundle the two services together'.
Boo to that. I like the Fibe TV and can't wait for Mediaroom 2.0.

Who do you call to find out about the FTTH fiber to the home?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Switching to FibeTV

My intentions are to switch to FibeTV once it is available in my area. Here is my issue though. Bell will make me go with their internet service. I am currently with Cogeco and my package is the Ultimate 30 which gives me download speeds of up to 30Mbps (which when I test usually averages around 24-27Mbps) and a monthly transfer capacity of 125GB @ $59.95/mth. Does Bell have anything that they can offer me close to that?

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
@jamcan, this is the fastest plan available with Fibe TV (from the Fibetv web site):
Fibe 16+
Download speeds of up to 25 Mbps
Upload speeds of up to 1 Mbps
Optional 7 Mbps upload speed, up to 3x faster than cable
Wireless Home Networking
Security Advanced service
Monthly Internet usage: 90 GB
$47.95 /MO. with Fibe TV in the Bell Bundle(6)
(6) Available to new customers and current dial-up customers who subscribe to the Bundle with Fibe Internet and at least one other select service; see bell.ca/bundle. Modem rental ($6.95/mo.) included.

Essential Plus: Monthly rate is $33.95 (subject to change), less $5 Bundle discount.

Fibe 7: Monthly rate is $47.95 (subject to change), less $5 credit for months 1 to 12, less $5 Bundle discount.

Fibe 10: Monthly rate is $52.95 (subject to change), less $5 credit for months 1 to 12, less $5 Bundle discount.

Fibe 16+: Monthly rate is $62.95 (subject to change), less $10 credit for months 1 to 12, less $5 Bundle discount.
Fibe 16+ will use the available bandwidth not being used by Fibe TV. Watching live TV or recording a channel will use bandwidth, watching a recorded program will not.

You can also buy data "insurance" if you plan to go over 90 GB/month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts