Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just noticed that Comwave just launched their TV service. Does anyone know what equipment (e.g. Android box, adaptors) is required? I see on their website lots of tv channels (good job Comwave) and competitive pricing, but not so much on deployment details (e.g. do they need to do a truck roll if I have DSL already).

Would be good to hear any experiences from anyone who has signed up. Comwave are known for aggressive pricing, but sometimes their customer service is not perfect.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
There is very little in the way of technical details on the Comwave site. There are absolutely no details about TV hardware except for a reference to a "Whole Home PVR" to "Record up to 500 hours of programming." That suggests something a bit better than a standard Android box such as those offered by Vmedia and Zazeen.

It looks like Comwave is a TPIA with a US and Canadian presence. In Canada the TV service will be tied to also buying internet from Comwave. The TV packages look to be somewhere between Vmedia and Zazeen in value. The internet plans appear to be offered in DSL or cable and are comparable to Vmedia and Zazeen in value as well. The telephone service appears to be standard VoIP based.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Yes I agree, there is very little info on their site about their TV equipment, etc. I was able to find the channel number listings page, however the channel numbers are not in-line with rogers or bell channel number placements so I could not tell you who is supplying them with the channels. Idunno.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Some US stations like TCM and AMC can be difficult to negotiate with since they want to be in basic packages. They were missing from Bell satellite for years because Bell refused to do so. They eventually caved in and got put in Bell's premium movie packages. Other BDUs like Shaw put them in the basic service. Not sure what's going on with Comwave but I suspect negotiations are ongoing. TCM and AMC have the upper hand when it comes to startup BDUs since they need the channels more than the channels need them.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Interesting piece of hardware. In theory, this box is capable of OTT as well as IPTV and a whole lot more. All Comwave needs to do now is get some market share and deliver a full range of content. Their bundle pricing is fairly aggressive but nothing earth shattering. The big deciding factors will be scope and reliability of service, as well as hardware capabilities as delivered. They have some work to do on forging agreements for channel carriage and OTT offerings like Netflix and CraveTV.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Since you have to buy their Internet, my interest level in the TV service relates directly to how competitive their Internet is against the fiber line coming into my house right now. Assuming it's even available here, of course.

Would be a game changer if people could offer TV service OTT.B

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
The fastest internet Comcast offers is 250Mbps/20/unlimited for $95, $115 after 12 months. That doesn't seem like a good price. Rogers offers 500/20/unlimited for $120 and Bell offers 300/100/unlimited for $85/110. Comcast's lower speed plans seem more competitive until you realize that the incumbents will price match TPIAs as soon as they sense they are losing a customer. Comcast's slowest plans won't be any good for families who want TV + OTT + internet at the same time. Considering that Comwave is essentially unproven and has a lackluster TV offering, I see them going nowhere fast. The new IPTV providers are offering nothing like the deals satellite distributors did when they first launched.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yeah that's how I see it too. I have 300/100/unlimited right now, and even if Comwave was offered here, I don't see how it's an improvement at all.

If someone like Teksavvy came out here to Nb over the fiber lines I'd be really interested, but there's nothing like that out here.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
According to Teksavvy's website, they offer 7/0.64 DSL in Fredericton and don't offer cable at all. The cable thing may be wrong, as the website claims it isn't in my postal code, without asking for my postal code. Getus, Focus, and Montreal DSL are the same (in fact, Focus and Montreal have identical websites to the point that they look like exactly the same company with two names). Citywide offers up to 100Mbps cable, but *ONLY* in Sackville, likely due to its proximity to Nova Scotia.

None of them offer higher than 7Mbps DSL service anywhere in NB outside of Sackville. Obviously, those DSL speeds are going to prove limiting while I'm trying to game and my wife is trying to watch Crunchyroll, and they're in no way even remotely competitive with the FTTH that Bell Aliant is offering. Probably why none of those companies advertise here that I've seen. Xplornet does, but that's aimed at rural users that might be able to get DSL but nothing else.

I think you're right about TPIA, but if that is in force at this point, nobody is taking advantage of it in NB. The lack of cable is probably due to the antiquated network Rogers inherited from Shaw out here, for such a small market it may not be worth dealing with (IIRC Sackville is covered by Eastlink).

The good news is that Bell Aliant is pretty good, service wise. The bad news is they were bought and are now controlled by Bell proper, so who knows how long that'll last.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes, Sackville (and Port Elgin) are covered by Eastlink, which is why Citywide can provide service there. Netfox also serves most Eastlink areas. I have no idea why none of the TPIAs use Rogers lines in NB. I agree that switching from Fibre to DSL would be terrible. So it looks like you are stuck with Bell Aliant for some time yet.

I looked on Comwave's site, and I can't find any info about areas that they serve.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
@Tridus, sorry to hear that. At least you have fibre, something we don't have here and doesn't seem imminent. If it weren't for Rogers, we would be on "up to" 6/.8 DSL. I suspect things will change there as the CRTC wants fibre customers to get TPIA. Don't know why Rogers internet isn't available but it may require a system upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is Comwave TV like?

Mom has Rogers TV and is paying a small fortune. She is considering changing to Comwave, she already has home phone with them, but I am having a hard time finding reviews about their TV service. Does anyone here have, or know of someone who has, or has read reviews of their TV service? Mom watches hockey, dramas like Law & Order SVU, nature channels, not a lot of movies but sometimes. She needs a PVR to record many shows and avoid commercials.

Any replies are greatly appreciated!!!
Linda

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I too would like to know as I was also coincidentally searching for reviews online even with pictures of the setup and could not find even one

·
Registered
71 Posts
I heard they were a bad service provider with many additional charges but had no clue the service was as bad as the reviews detail. Makes my Rogers service look like a saint with only 1-2 outages per year necessitating a phone call.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I was hoping to find a video online of the actual box what they look like, does it have a pvr, what connections does it have, does it use internet traffic or is it unmetered, what does the interactive program guide look like, is it nice and easy to use, what is the channel lineup, easy to follow etc? I find it strange NO ONE has posted even one of the topics i mentioned

1 - 20 of 23 Posts