Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a RG6 compression tool, and came across a kit that had a Bolide DL-807, 25 T&B snap-n-seal connectors, and a stripper.

Does anyone have any experience with this specific tool, or recommendations of a good inexpensive compression tool?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you are not doing lots of connectors it might be alright but I think it will get hard to use after a while.

I use a Thomas & Betts, IT 1000, not the cheapest but IMHO it is the best, it is also BOTH prep tool and compresion tool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not planning on doing many connections, if the tool see 100 connections I'd be surprised. Just wanted something adjustable so I could use different brand connectors, and RCA's. Was mainly looking to replace current crimp type connectors, and the RG59 in the house with RG6. I don't do many installs, when I do, it's only friends/family with DPP stuff. (Wish bell would get rid of the legacy LNB's and switches, too many runs for nothing)

Is there something better thats reasonably priced (under $70) that would be a little more robust and suit my needs?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use the Ideal Compression tool that Home Depot sells for 79.98. It does RG-6, Rg-6 Quad shield, and RG-59 compression connectors. It also does RCA compression fittings. I am a hobbiest and it works perfectly for me.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
They also have a cheaper model for $30 that should do the job.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've seen that before. It's not the fault of the compression tool. They just activates the compression built into the F connector. If the connectors are loose, it's either because the wire end was prepared incorrectly or the wrong size of connector is being used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the Paladin online, but it doesn't look like it's adjustable. (Maybe it is??? )

What I'm leaning towards right now is either a Klein VDV211-007 or VDV212-009. I've always had good luck with Klein tools. I just want a decent tool that has flexibility in what type of connectors I can use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The adjustment is for the ability to use basically anyones compression fittings, as they are not all standard, and to be able to do BNC or RCA fittings as well. I do BNC every now and then for security camera's or monitors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tvnut

Was looking online at the IDEAL OmniSeal 30-603 that homedepot sells. That thing looks pretty sweet.... have you tried any RCA's with it?

Bad thing about livin in the sticks.... 2 hours to the closest homedepot, 3 hours to one that has it in stock. Guess it saves me on the impulse buying :rolleyes:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have done lots of RCA's with it. I make all my own component cables using RG6 and the Ideal RCA compression fittings that Home Depot sells. The RCA's even come with colored bands that you slip into a groove on the connector to show if it is Red, Green, Blue, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tvnut64-

I've been having a hard time to see how the cable & connector seat inside the omniseal tool as all the pic's I can find only show a side view... Does rear seat of the tool support the compression fitting 180 or 360 degrees? Is the silver colored tab/lever on the side for cable retention to kind of hold the connector straight, or is that part of the seat that the connector compresses against?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts