Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a motherboard with an integrated graphics solution. The kicker is that I need component video out to drive a TV without any digital input.

So far the only board I have found is a mini-ITX board with a via processor.
VIA EPIA EX15000G Mini-ITX Mainboard
I have used VIA mini-ITX before and I am concerned that I wont have enough processor power to run the applications that I need.

Does anyone know of a motherboard with component out or a low power graphics card with component out?

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
jvincent, Some video chips/cards support YPbPr or VGA out the VGA port. The adapter and drivers/software take care of sending the right signal. Some card makers sell adapters for $50 but they can be built/purchased much cheaper. It's usually better to buy hardware that includes the adapter or cable.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I know that most cards today are capable of that. But as you state they usually require a special cable/dongle which is sensed by the card to enable YPbPr output.

I interpreted alutz comment to be that you could just take a VGA to RCA cable and make it work, which you cannot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MSI K8NGM2-FID

i was wondering where that bracket came from. anyways... this old geforce 6150 nforce430, socket939 motherboard come w/ a component bracket, always thought it came w/ my DG965WH but i guess that explains why there's no headers for it.

you might wanna check some of their newer models, not really sure if MSI still includes them w/ more current motherboards.

good luck!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have both M2NPV-VM and M2A-VM HDMI and both output Component in terrible and unacceptable (to me) quality.

I didn't need to use them but tested them and they might be tweakable with latest drivers but no good at all out of the box.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
I found the component output from a Geforce 7600 GT to be marginal quality. The HDMI is excellent though. OTOH, my older ATI 9800 Pro has excellent component video quality. As a general rule, *600 cards tend to be best for HTPC and appear to be aimed at that market. Lower series cards often lack features, speed or quality and higher series cards are aimed at gamers. The video chips put on motherboards do work but sometimes have issues due to lower GPU horsepower and the use of slower system RAM.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
For integrated component video, I would go for the Gigabyte board based on the AMD 690G.

I_Want_My_HDTV, what brand of 7600GT were you using? I have an EVGA 7600GS and it is pretty good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a M2A-VM HDMI to power a 44in Toshiba DLP via the component out on the mobo.

It works very well ... but when I'm pulling 1080i from it seems to slow down a little.

M2A-VM HDMI is a great card, but I think it has expansion issues like the component and digi audio out takes up the only 16x pcie slot.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
That is correct nesh-TO.

The Asus boards have always suffered from the lack of a dedicated set of SPDIF ports on the ATX breakout.

On the M2A series, the second you install a dedicated vid card, you lose your SPDIF. It is this reason that causes me to never buy an Asus board and to also recommend heavily the Gigabyte equivalent as they seem to engineer their boards a lot better.

·
Registered
910 Posts
That is correct nesh-TO.

The Asus boards have always suffered from the lack of a dedicated set of SPDIF ports on the ATX breakout.

On the M2A series, the second you install a dedicated vid card, you lose your SPDIF. It is this reason that causes me to never buy an Asus board and to also recommend heavily the Gigabyte equivalent as they seem to engineer their boards a lot better.
You can still use the Digital Coax output on the M2A-VM-HDMI, you just use the riser module without actually plugging it in the PCI-E slot while connecting the TV/SPDIF wires. I have done it for the longest time.

I am done with Asus as well...I got 2 of their more popular mobos (M2NPV-VM and M2A-VM HDMI) and both have these addon module that is inconvenient to the Nth degree. No one should make the same mistake :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes the riser card should do the trick if you ever expand. as the digi audio headers on the mobo seem standard.

In hindsight maybe I would have got the gigabyte for scalability however these only come with TOSLINK optical audio out ... discussions aside ... I prefer using digital coax for audio since I invested in a very high end coax cable.

Building a HTPC is all about customizing your needs and tastes and making tradeoffs ... I like to say....its never quite perfect until its perfect :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
yes the riser card should do the trick if you ever expand. as the digi audio headers on the mobo seem standard.

In hindsight maybe I would have got the gigabyte for scalability however these only come with TOSLINK optical audio out ... discussions aside ... I prefer using digital coax for audio since I invested in a very high end coax cable.

Building a HTPC is all about customizing your needs and tastes and making tradeoffs ... I like to say....its never quite perfect until its perfect :)
The TV/AUDIO header on the M2A-VM HDMI is actually not standard, but the pins are easy to figure out reading the manual.

The Gigabyte -S2H series mobos come with Optical port on the back AND Digital Coax Output (AND INPUT) as a header on the mobo. You don't need to spend $15-20 bucks to get the adapter, COAX adapters is easy to make for <$2. My Nmedia HTPC case actually comes with one.

Optical port is not an easy DIY, so having in on the back standard is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts