Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first HD TV, a Panasonic plasma. MTS hooked up Ultimate HD with component video cables.

After a few days I tried using HDMI cable, thought it looked better. I started having sound problems, when TV turned on no sound. Sound would only come on after switching channels for a few seconds.

MTS came and replaced the set top box, worked for one day then problem returned. MTS came back and said there are known compatibility issues with HDMI and sound, hooked up the component video cables again and all works fine.

Question: is the picture using component video cable inferior to that produced using HDMI cable? Anybody else had this sound problem?

Appreciate any help you can give me
thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've actually heard that the picture may look better (smoother?) on component. AFAIK, it's an analog signal whereas HDMI is digital.

They definitely know there are HDCP issues with some TV's and HDMI cables. I've had the odd installation where on one HDMI input, I get the HDCP message but if I move it to another HDMI input, it's fine.

IMO, for the average person, there probably isn't a noticeable difference between the two types. I think just going from SD to HD is the biggest improvement that people will appreciate.

On a side note, I think I've said before that on one occasion, it seemed like Shaw's HD picture quality look ever-so-slightly better than MTS. I can't verify this, nor would I really want to, as I install MTS. Who knows, maybe the IPTV system compresses it more? I wonder if this is why MTS's channels change so much faster on Ultimate?
:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard the same. Friends in Winnipeg think Shaw has better HDTV quality. But with MTS putting fibre in the new developments I wondering if long term they won't have a leg up on shaw.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
AFAIK, it's an analog signal whereas HDMI is digital.
Yes, component is analog. However, the signal produced by the terminal is digital, so you'd have to convert to analog. Then, the TV has to then convert that analog signal back to digital. This means you've got two extra conversion steps, which means your picture can only be worse over component.

·
Registered
757 Posts
My thought was that it might appear smoother (not necessarily better) than HDMI, but I can't verify that. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have heard the same. Friends in Winnipeg think Shaw has better HDTV quality. But with MTS putting fibre in the new developments I wondering if long term they won't have a leg up on shaw.
Having had Shaw HD, and then having moved to MTS Ultimate, I can tell you that overall MTS has the better picture quality, especially when watching sports. If you look WAY back in the posts in the Shaw forums, you'll see some seriously macro-blocked pictures I posted of the World Juniors hockey games that I had taken from Shaw's service... nothing even close to that on MTS.

As for the component/HDMI argument... very little difference in picture quality between the two, if any at all.

EDIT: Here's that old post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=667605&postcount=112

1 - 8 of 8 Posts