Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Comparison Cable/Satellite DVRs and Receiver Hardware in Canada

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  DialgaChampion 
#1 ·
Well, since this debate seems to keep coming up, I thought it might be a good idea to start a general topic where we can specifically compare (and keep up to date with) the latest receivers/DVR hardware offered by each major cable and satellite provider in Canada, to give everyone an idea of each of their receivers' features, perhaps which provider has an edge in terms of the hardware... that way it would be easier for comparison's sake, instead of having to sift through multiple pages in multiple different forums for Rogers, Bell, Shaw, etc.

So, I'm not an expert on all of the providers' latest technology (cause, you know, once you go Hopper, it's kind of hard to go back lol), but I'll start the comparison chart here with what I do know, and then maybe the rest of you can post on the other Canadian providers' receiver technologies, or chime in if I'm missing something important, and then I'll try my best to keep editing this post and keep it up to date. Sort of like what Bigoranget did with the Missing English HD Channels topic.

*Any feature or spec listed below that's followed by a (?) is because I don't have the exact information (hopefully someone else does).

Bell Satellite

• 9400 HD DVR with 2 Tuners, up to 150 Hours HD Storage, 60-Minute Buffer, 9-Day Program Guide (Released Nov-Dec 2012?)
  • 6400 HD Receiver with 1 Tuner, 60-Minute Buffer with External Hard Drive, 2.5-Day Program Guide (Released Early 2013?)

Shaw Direct Satellite

• 630 HD DVR with 2 Tuners, up to 45 Hours HD Storage, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released August 2010)
  • 600 HD Receiver with 1 Tuner, 14-Day Program Guide (Released July 2011)

Bell Fibe TV

• VIP 5662 Whole Home 4K DVR with 4 Tuners(?), up to 150 Hours 4K / 320 Hours HD Storage, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released January 2016?)
  • VIP 2262 Whole Home HD DVR with 4 Tuners(?), up to 320 Hours HD Storage, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released ??)
  • VIP 2502 Wireless Whole Home HD Terminal, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released May 2013?)

Rogers Cable

• Nextbox Whole Home 4K DVR with 8 Tuners(?), up to (?) Hours 4K / 120 Hours(?) HD Storage, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released ??)
  • Nextbox 3.0 Whole Home HD DVR with 8 Tuners, up to 120 Hours HD Storage, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released August 2013?)
  • Nextbox HD Terminal, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released August 2013?)

Shaw Cable

• Gateway Whole Home HD DVR with 6 Tuners(?), up to 75 Hours HD Storage, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released ??)
  • Gateway HD Portal, 60-Minute Buffer, 14-Day Program Guide (Released ??)

Videotron

• -
  • -

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.