Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Nobody has applied to carry RTV. Considering its an OTA channel and recievable in the GTA the CRTC might approve it, but I guess the usual suspects like CTV and Global will intervene to try and block it as being competitive with their own channels, even though their is no overlap in programming.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The U.S. Tv Land is not what it use to be. It's slowly morphed itself away from classic television. If you like Classic TV go and watch the RTV network. They seem to have got it right. Its an OTA station available out of Buffalo NY, on a sub-channel of WGRZ.
It is mostly cop/detective/PI shows, not that there is a problem with that.
The only comedy I saw on RTV was Jack Benny. I get RTV from FTA satellite FWIW.

I would like more of the 70s/80s sitcoms though, at least to have there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I spend about a month a year in the US. When TVLand first started it was the first channel I checked if I felt like watching TV at night. Now I barely bother with it.

I would watch Comedy Gold if they play the shows they mentioned and (the big if) if they don't just get one season of these shows and play them over and over until the tape breaks (or the disk melts, etc).

I agree that a digital sub-channel like RTV would be welcome. I'd like to see one with theme nights, say Mondays being '50's night, Tuesday '60's night, etc. A couple of comedies, an hour drama show, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Why not re-create some old Tv Schedules on a weekly basis."

What a cool idea! Would be real nostalgic to watch something like a complete "Must See TV" Thursday night lineup from NBC circa 1985 airing in their original order! :D

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Just for the record, TV Land Canada is a category 2 channel, which means it has no protection from competition and realistically nothing to prevent the real TV Land from coming our way.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
As I said earlier, the real Tv Land is already CRTC approved. It's up to the BDU's to determine if they want to offer it plus iron out rights issues with Viacom. I bet we won't see it for some time anyways.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I have no idea if Shaw will pick it up, but it's doubtful as they haven't picked it up after all these years. Then again Comedy Gold may have some potential as it seems to have a better lineup than TVLand ever had.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
You could probably also get RTV legally OTA if you live near one of the affiliates. The reason the CRTC hasn't approved it is because nobody requested it, plain and simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to say I'm quite impressed with this channel so far over 2 days. Sure, it's a nice change from TV Tropolis and Deja View, and I'm sure it's going to get old sooner rather than later, but it's refreshing to see a channel actually stick to the programming it promises over a 24 hour period. No BS reality shows or clip shows like they have on Deja View and TVTropolis.

When I first started subscribing to digital cable last year, Canwest's "classic comedy" channels had a nice amount of content that actually interested me. Over the course of a year, I've seen the actual comedy content drop to less than 50% of what it was when I first ordered the channels.

I'm certain that Comedy Gold will take a similar route at some point - it's inevitable. And of course, it remains to be seen how many episodes of each show CTV actually bothered to purchase. Not to mention that not every show on there interests me. But for now, it's really refreshing to see an entire 24 hour schedule of JUST sitcoms.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts