Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CTV has announced it will launch a new digital specialty channel on August 2nd called Comedy Gold.

The station will air situation comedy shows from the 70s, 80s and 90s such as The Mary Tyler Moore Show; The Bob Newhart Show And Newhart; Murphy Brown; Night Court; SCTV; and The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm glad they finally got rid of Tv Land Canada. Now they can bring in the real Tv Land from the U.S. which is already CRTC approved.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Deja View only has 1 drama (The Rockford Files). So we're getting less retro drama, more comedy. I guess to get stellar sitcoms like Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart, we have to put up w/ SCTV reruns (Cancon), which have been played to death... not that Smith & Smith and Bizarre hadn't been already and by TV Land (Canada).

·
Registered
606 Posts
I donnt think we'll see the real TVLand anytime soon.

This channel seems pretty "meh". What would have been ground breaking 10 years ago is now late to the game. Thanks but no thanks CTVgm...old sitcoms aren't going to make Canadian cable better. I'll stick to atsc OTA and get the series your airing on DVD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's just a re-brand of TV Land Canada, not a new station
Well its still a new station.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I agree about not seeing the real Tv Land anytime soon. Probably not for a few years anyways until someone thinks its worth offering, plus resolving program rights issues.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree about not seeing the real Tv Land anytime soon. Probably not for a few years anyways until someone thinks its worth offering, plus resolving program rights issues.
I'm betting CTVgm's still owns, and will continue to, the brand just to prevent the real TVLand from entering to compete against them.

·
Banned
844 Posts
CTV has announced it will launch a new digital specialty channel on August 2nd called Comedy Gold.
Not much of a name, that is the best they could come up with?! When I first read the title of this thread, I thought they had renamed The Comedy Network :D Perhaps they should rename TCN to Comedy Central Canada, so people don't confuse the two?!

Here's hoping they have more shows in the lineup then the 7 that are mentioned. Of course it wouldn't surprise me since they didn't invest much in TV Land Canada so I got no high hopes for this channel either.

·
Registered
510 Posts
yeah I agree with PlayitSimple. Family Channel should be Disney Channel Canada, and The Comedy Network should be Comedy Central Canada.

Anyways, I wonder if Shaw will pick it up or not? I'll be watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on there :D But then again, I could also watch it on YTV or Peachtree ;) I wonder what other shows will air?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I wish Shaw Direct would bring the channel back!!

Yep, I really hope that Shaw Direct adds TV Land/Comedy Gold back to their lineup. They dropped the channel last year but since it looks like they are going to have alot of good shows compaired to the current TV Land Canada shows, I hope they bring the channel back.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I bet they will pick up 1 or 2 seasons of each show and heavily replay them all for a year so that anyone who might consider watching the channel will become so bored they stop watching.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I get TV LAND US via Dish, it not bad but then again its not great either. I'd say just slightly above average.I'd think Canadians would want TNT or USA or some the FOX brands FX,etc, then TV LAND US.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The U.S. Tv Land is not what it use to be. It's slowly morphed itself away from classic television. If you like Classic TV go and watch the RTV network. They seem to have got it right. Its an OTA station available out of Buffalo NY, on a sub-channel of WGRZ.

·
Registered
510 Posts
yeah MCIBUS I agree with you. We should get more US networks over here in Canada.

lol right now, my little cousin (10yr old) is wanting me to ask you guys if Full House will be on Comedy Gold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts