Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a combiner, or diplexer. Anyway, I am sure it is a combiner. I have an input for UHF and one for VHF. Can I add a second UHF into the VHF port instead of a VHF antenna, and still run two antennas in different directions? I used a splitter before, and think I will lose less signal this way.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have a combiner, or diplexer. Anyway, I am sure it is a combiner. I have an input for UHF and one for VHF. Can I add a second UHF into the VHF port instead of a VHF antenna, and still run two antennas in different directions? I used a splitter before, and think I will lose less signal this way.
If your device has a UHF input and a VHF input it is a combiner designed to combine a UHF antenna with a VHF antenna. It can also be called a diplexer. If you try to connect a second UHF antenna to the VHF input, the UHF signals from that second antenna will be blocked.

The device is also called a UVSJ (UHF-VHF Separator-Joiner). A UVSJ contains a highpass filter that passes UHF signals and blocks VHF signals. It also contains a lowpass filter that passes VHF signals but blocks UHF signals. Its purpose is to keep UHF and VHF separate so they don't interfere with each other.

Can you tell us exactly what your device says on it, or better yet show us a photo of your device so that we can be more certain?

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Pattern

Rectangle Font Circuit component Slope Parallel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rectangle Circuit component Font Parallel Slope

It is this exact one. Thanks for letting me know that. I guess I need a device to combine two UHF antennas. Thanks....

BTW What would best do the trick? So I order the correct one. Won't find them around here anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
It is this exact one. Thanks for letting me know that. I guess I need a device to combine two UHF antennas. Thanks....BTW What would best do the trick? So I order the correct one. Won't find them around here anywhere.
Unfortunately, there is no good inexpensive device to combine two UHF antennas aimed in different directions. A splitter in reverse is sometimes used as a combiner, but as explained to you in your previous thread it usually doesn't work well because the same signals from each antenna will interfere with each other at the combining point.

After looking at your signal report from your previous thread
Improve my homebrew attic antenna
https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/improve-my-homebrew-attic-
antenna.293688/unread

your report
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=389642

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Slope

Now that I know you have a UVSJ, I suggest you go back to your previous thread because it has all your background information. You should use your UHF antenna for the UHF signals from the SW and either build or buy a VHF antenna for KOLR and combine it with your UHF antenna with the UVSJ.
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2475/fringe-directional-antenna-vhf/dp/48Y8141

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rabbit 73, I believe you are correct. I will do that. then maybe later I'll get a rotor, attach both those antennas and run with that. Thanks for the great advice......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, there is no good inexpensive device to combine two UHF antennas aimed in different directions. A splitter in reverse is sometimes used as a combiner, but as explained to you in your previous thread it usually doesn't work well because the same signals from each antenna will interfere with each other at the combining point.

After looking at your signal report from your previous thread
Improve my homebrew attic antenna
https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/improve-my-homebrew-attic-
antenna.293688/unread

your report
RabbitEars.Info

View attachment 12350

Now that I know you have a UVSJ, I suggest you go back to your previous thread because it has all your background information. You should use your UHF antenna for the UHF signals from the SW and either build or buy a VHF antenna for KOLR and combine it with your UHF antenna with the UVSJ.
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2475/fringe-directional-antenna-vhf/dp/48Y8141
An update for my antenna situation. I decided to point my UHF antenna to the north where I get ABC CBS and fox. The reason I didn't go to the Southwest is because now channel 8, KOMU is about to go UHF. It will be UHF 27. When that happens I will have all the networks I want. It would be nice to get a few of the Stations from the southwest but as we previously discussed trying to run two antennas in two different directions and hoping a signal doesn't interfere with one another it's quite a stretch. So thank you guys for all your information you have been very helpful for me.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
A good solution to having antennas in more than one direction is to use a separate networked tuner for each antenna. Some support DLNA so they can be watched using most smart TVs and media streamers. A big bonus is that programming can recorded using a PC or a supported NAS. One networked TV tuner device I've used is the HDHomeRun but there are other devices available that may be better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts