Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got BlueCurve with an XG1-v4a 4K HDR box. The Shaw 4K HDR sports channels show colours that seem a little "hot" unlike Netflix' Squid Game, also in 4K HDR, which looks normal. Standard HD broadcasts, including sports, have excellent colour.

To me, an experienced photog, it looks like the saturation is too high. Not much, but noticeable. Players' faces look too red; uniform colours (especially red elements) are way too strong.

I noticed this on 4K HDR baseball and hockey broadcasts from Toronto and baseball from Los Angeles.

The TV set is a recent Sony Bravia with colour settings at "Standard", which results in excellent colour on HD broadcasts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yup, I use A Bluray to set up my tv's, colors vary from channel to channel, it even varies from camera to camera on the same channel. Watching hockey the players uniforms can look completely different from the center ice camera to the camera used at the side of the benches. So just adjust your settings to what you like and enjoy, if you are going to adjust on every channel to try to make them look "right" if will be a never ending endeavor.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
.... So just adjust your settings to what you like and enjoy, if you are going to adjust on every channel to try to make them look "right" if will be a never ending endeavor.
Reminds me of the early days of colour TV when there were some fussy people who would spend the whole programme blocking the screen while fidgeting with the set's manual colour, brightness and contrast controls as they attempted to get the colours set the way they wanted them. They never succeeded of course but they did end up not actually seeing the show and annoying anyone unfortunate to be watching the show with them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So is everyone still experiencing the blown out colors/extremely red skin tones or has everyone else's toned down to normal too. When I first signed up reds and skin tones in 4k looked horrible, then it just looked like Shaw did something and corrected it.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Overly saturated colours are quite common on TVs, especially with red. Just turn down the colour in picture settings until it looks good. Getting the set calibrated will usually help but it can be expensive. There are often settings on the internet that will provide a close to calibrated picture. Individual sets may be slightly different but it is a great start. Some TV sets may have separate picture settings for each input. Receivers or streaming devices may have inaccurate colours as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Again I dont think anyone is getting what I am asking. I had the oversaturated colors when I got Shaw at the start of Nov. I changed nothing and the colors appear normal now on the 4k channels. Again, I adjusted nothing. I'm curious if everyone else sees it normal or still oversaturated. In fact, I have difficulty seeing much of a difference from the regular HD channel to the 4k channels.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Again I dont think anyone is getting what I am asking. I had the oversaturated colors when I got Shaw at the start of Nov. I changed nothing and the colors appear normal now on the 4k channels. Again, I adjusted nothing. I'm curious if everyone else sees it normal or still oversaturated. In fact, I have difficulty seeing much of a difference from the regular HD channel to the 4k channels.
I agree...the colors were definitely over saturated on the two 4K channels I get from Shaw.
They have now settled down and look really good.
I made no adjustments either...would never do that for two channels.
Even though most of the stuff isn't 4K it must be upconverted because it looks noticeably better.
The programs that are actually 4K are gorgeous to watch.

·
Super Moderator
4,512 Posts
I agree it is nice to have the higher bandwidth of the 4k feed of the TSN/SNet/SNet1 to watch the non-4K sports in HD. I just hate the 2-second wait for the channel to buffer before it lets you watch the channel.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'm hoping Shaw decides to let us mortals west of Alberta have TSN 4K soon...all we get now is the two Sportsnet channels and I'd love be able to watch CFL/NFL/NCAA Football in 4K.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm hoping Shaw decides to let us mortals west of Alberta have TSN 4K soon...all we get now is the two Sportsnet channels and I'd love be able to watch CFL/NFL/NCAA Football in 4K.
I tok am hoping that TSN 4k is launched for the rest of us soon. It would be nice to have before the Grey Cup.

However, NFL and NCAA are not in 4K so you would not see them on the 4K channel. TSN is different then Sportsnet. The channel only goes live for actual 4K events. Sportsnet just runs the channel 24 hours a day regardless of an actual 4K event being on or not. 95% of stuff on Sportsnet 4K channels is just upconverted HD, not actual 4K. Right now the only 4K events on Sportsnet are Leafs and Raptors home games.

·
Super Moderator
4,512 Posts
I tok am hoping that TSN 4k is launched for the rest of us soon. It would be nice to have before the Grey Cup.

However, NFL and NCAA are not in 4K so you would not see them on the 4K channel. TSN is different then Sportsnet. The channel only goes live for actual 4K events. Sportsnet just runs the channel 24 hours a day regardless of an actual 4K event being on or not. 95% of stuff on Sportsnet 4K channels is just upconverted HD, not actual 4K. Right now the only 4K events on Sportsnet are Leafs and Raptors home games.
Although the BlueCurve guide does not list the programming on TSN4K, they do show upconverted programming 24/7 from mostly TSN4 (Ontario feed) unless there is a blackout situation due to a Leafs-only game being on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Although the BlueCurve guide does not list the programming on TSN4K, they do show upconverted programming 24/7 from mostly TSN4 (Ontario feed) unless there is a blackout situation due to a Leafs-only game being on.
Good to know. I had read that TSN only has the channel active for 4K events, but if it's full time, then that's great. Now if only Shaw could add it for the rest of us. It's been 2 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts