Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any info on any networks picking up college basketball this year? i looked around a bit and didn't see anything but i hold out hope that thescore or tsn2 or someone will broadcast some games.

why can't shaw direct offer college sports packages to show espn games??? arghhh

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The Score will have some games, mostly on Wednesdays. It is likely that TSN2 will have Saturday games and Sportsnet Pacific/One will have Pac-10 games. Here is The Score's schedule.

The reason that Shaw Direct doesn't offer a NCAA package is because they don't have room and it would be fairly low demand. They don't even have enough space to offer every NBA League Pass game.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, but if rogers and bell are offering it, there has to be some demand and it's not a 24/7 offering, so they should be able to find transponder space for nights and weekends, especially as we forge towards mp4 compression. i don't need the sd version of the channels either, just offer espn and espn2 games in hd in the package for a fee and i'm set.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
They have even less HD room. The problem with primetime is that is the same timeslot that NBA and NHL games are in. Shaw Direct will get MLB Extra Innings long before they get an NCAA package.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's why i hope the mp4 compression helps open up space, plus the possibility if we have to wait until 2012 for the new satellite that they'll use all 3 for the additional space as this is all i think shaw direct is missing, offering the espn/2 games during college bball and football seasons.

i know hd takes more space, but i'm saying for certain packages, ie. the sports ppv, they should scrap the sd offering and just make it all hd (assuming the games are available as such). if you're paying for a sports ppv package, i'm pretty sure you're going to have an hd tv.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Swagger200, what super sports pack you got? Because Cogeco puts NO HD college basketball on its SSP. I keep emailing them because they have a ridiculous amount in SD. They keep giving me some bull #### response about programming choices of the actual channels broadcasting the events. Excuse me, but clearly ESPN is broadcasting the game if its on SD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have Rogers

Would love more selection but there is pretty consistently one channel per night in HD showing an ESPN double header

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd love something as small as that. Out of the season so far, cogeco SSP has had only the Thanksgiving Day marathon on HD.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Shaw

I'm somewhat surprised that Shaw didn't offer the same package that Bell, Cogeco, and Rogers have this year, now that they have mpeg-4 capability. I would jump at a $99 college sports pak anyday.

Hopefully that comes to the Shaw direct side too.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts