Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With in the past 2 weeks I have had 2 issues with my HD 6200 SERIES BOX. The issues I am having were one being I had an 1003 error which I was unable to access my ON Demand for movies or PPV. The other issue was that recently I have been having recording issues with my programs. My HD BOX would allow me to set my VCR Timer program, and I would set my DVD Recorder timer to work with my HD BOX. When the recording would take place I would get Video,but no audio.

I tried a few test recordings to determine if it was my DVD Recorder or my HD box. My DVD Recorder would record both audio and video by either hitting record or using the DVD Recorder timer if I left my HD BOX ON. When I tried using the HD box VCR timer settings in conjunction with my DVD Recorder Timer I would get only a picture,and no audio.

I have contacted Cogeco and they have corrected my 1003 issue,by supplying me with a new box. The recording issue is still ongoing. I have contacted Cogeco again,about this,and explained my recording problems. I was told that they had a consumer survey showing that this particular function the VCR TIMER in this HD BOX was hardly used and was removed over 2 years ago.This in other words forces us as consumers to have to spend more money and rent the higher end box. I explained that this was not right, and that consumers with this type of box should be able to have this feature available.

The outcome is yet to be determined, as I'm waiting for a response back from Cogeco about this issue. I also informed Cogeco that in these times every one is always trying to save a dollar not blow it, just because of a survey and it's feedback on this particular subject.

More Information will follow.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but these Motorolas have a weird quirk with the audio in that the audio is "muted" whenever doing a recording to preclude audio coming from them in the middle of the night (assuming the STB is off). This may have been extended to the STB firmware from the PVR firmware.

I suggest you try leaving the unit on and don't turn it off - the difference in power usage is only about 1 Watt since "off" is really standby. The VCR timer should then go to the correct channel and you should be able to record video and audio. The CSR is correct that almost no-one does this any more since it's cumbersome and doesn't record HD.

Here's the FAQ on Recording from a STB. If some of your recordings are on the analogue channels, then you can use the technique in the FAQ to preclude the use of the STB altogether for those (although Cogeco is leaving fewer and fewer analogue channels depending on location):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

You may be able to negotiate with a CSR for a less expensive upgrade to a PVR in light of the fact this doesn't work properly for you...

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update On Cogeco Digital Boxes and the VCR timer

Well here is the latest info on whats going on with Cogeco, and my big pet peeve. For all Cogeco customers who have the basic Digital receiver or Basic HD box you might as well kiss your vcr timers goodbye. Cogeco has been going through major updates to make room for more channels and imrovements to their guide. Even if you own your box you will have no choice in this matter your going to lose your VCR Timer. So if you want to record some programs on a few channels you will have to rent their high end box or better yet just have a few basic receivers through out your home with recorders attached,and leave them on that particular channel. What a waste of electricity,and so much for going green. The major thing that really ticks me off is that what right does Cogeco have to alter a Digital receiver that you bought out right. Sure the box is ours,but Cogeco tells me that the software is theirs, and they can do with it what they please. Well I'll say one thing if they can control the box on their end with the flick of a switch then we should have the right to refuse the upgrades from their end. It is just a matter of not sending the signal through,but if that is not possible then we just have to suck it up. This is totally unethical for a company to force something on one who does not want this to happen especially if the box is owned out right. Let me asure you I'm not finished with this matter it goes totally against our rights, and freedoms. There will be some letters going out to a few Government Agencies and individuals on this matter.I hope that others here in Digital forum agree and stand up for your rights.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Did you try any of 57's recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
What a waste of electricity,and so much for going green.
Just as an FYI, as stated in my original post, the STBs use about 1 Watt less when "off" since off is really standby. Does the VCR timer work properly if you leave the unit on?

·
Banned
364 Posts
It's not a quirk, it's there by design. As you said, if I set a recording and turned my box off, the box will turn on (come out of standby) at the designated recording time. If the TV and/or home theatre receiver was on, it could be very loud, especially if it was my bedroom.

That said, just leave the box on and there should be no issues with the audio.

As for the VCR timer issue, can you not just set up a recording within the guide as you would if you had a DVR? I would think it would auto-tune to the correct channel, there just wouldn't be a HDD to record the program (but your VCR or DVD recorder would be set for the same time). I'm not familiar with the non-DVR HD box, but as far as I know it uses the same guide software and this seems feasible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked at ideas that were submitted to me on how to approach this recording issue. The other issue at hand is the reprogramming of a personally owned digital box. Cogeco states in their policy that we as the consumers can not alter their equipment if rented,and there is no mention that they have the right to alter or make modifications to personal owned digital receivers. So who is right and who is wrong...?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I have looked at ideas that were submitted to me on how to approach this recording issue.
And does the VCR timer work if you leave the STB on?

Firmware is downloaded to various devices all the time - usually to fix issues, add features, etc. Is it always perfect - no. There is no right/wrong, but in this case it's correct to mute the sound for a STB that is "off", for the reasons we mentioned above - you wouldn't want to be awakened in the middle of the night if you left your AVR or TV on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My personal digital receiver has not been yet been affected since Cogeco has started their updates. With regards to my HD BOX that I stated there were issues with it, I have contacted Cogeco and they have upgraded my HD box to their top end model at no charge for one year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cogeco's Recent Software a Mess

Well here is some more interesting news to say the least. After returning my Motorola 6200 series Hd box for a Motorola HD DVR series unit I have had 2 issues that have occured with it from the recent software updating.
The first issue was that I was not able to access the ON Demand, so I called about that issue. Of course I never rented from On Demand after that,as I normally rent only on the weekends.
The second issue was that I tried using the DVR to record a program, and when I tried accessing the menu to retrieve the recorded program, I was given the message that the DVR was disabled. After calling 4 times, and each Tech trying to correct the problem, on the fifth call the Tech wanted to try and reset the box again. I told the Tech that this box has been reset 4 times already including a factory reset so I informed him I want the box replaced. So now I hold in my possession a new Pace series HD DVR let's see how good this box will be....!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Splitter

Hey 57

Thanks for the info about old splitters and their possible affect on the STB which can cause On Demand not to work. This is not the problem, as the splitters that are in use are Cogeco installed and were checked by the Tech when he was here when I had my HD 6200 Series box replaced. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is by design, which really doesn't make sense to me. To me it seems like a ridiculous limitation. I do agree that the fact that they make their product even more limited after being purchased is unfair to say the least. They should at least make the updates optional.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts