Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Cogeco's "Wireless Extenders" really worth it? They do charge a service charge (although the CSR was willing to reduce the fee by half) and the monthly fee is $4.95. I had a Service Tech here at the house on other matter and he said he only installed TWO of these and he's been with Cogeco for a long time! His thoughts were they weren't worth it -- even at no charge! Your thoughts, please and thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why buy a low cost unit from Walmart when Cogeco added a Loyalty Credit of $4.95 making the extender free?

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
The cheap units typically are not worth the money. There are lots of cheap wifi extenders online but they are often slow and use obsolete technology. They can result in slowing the wifi network down significantly.

Don't know what Cogeco is offering or how they operate. These units vary significantly so an exact make and model is required. The best units are wired mesh or simple wired access points, followed by powerline mesh or simple powerline access points, followed by mesh wifi repeaters, followed by simple wifi repeaters. The latter are two are typically the poorest performing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize the thread is 6 months old, but I just wanted to chime in.

I think the COGECO extenders are worth it -> mostly because they can be connected back to your main router (or to eachother) via MoCA. There is a use case also for just using them as ethernet to MoCA bridge in order to connect a mesh point or other access point elsewhere in the house via MoCA.

2 are included for free with the 360Mbps package or higher....

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
If they can be connected to the main router using MoCA it could increase performance significantly. Caveats still apply regarding pod performance but it should be much better than wireless pod connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts