Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard or know of Cogeco coming out with the possibilities of their STB's to work as a whole home PVR like Fibe TV offers? Cogeco is way behind in the times in regards to offerings from Bell (Fibe TV whole Home PVR) and Rogers (NextBox).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Whole House DVR

Cogeco today announced new enhancement coming soon:

- Remote Recorder enables one to set up and manage recordings online

- Whole House DVR with up to 3 connected devices

No word as to hardware but hopefully it will consist of enabled Pace boxes

·
Registered
15 Posts
They still haven't got a firmware that works properly for the current PACE boxes, and the old Motorola boxes STILL have their share of bugs and glitches and those are what, a decade old now???

Let's just say I don't have high expectations....;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have Cogeco but gave up long ago hoping they would have a whole home solution. For now, Media Centre and a bunch of Apple TV's (jailbroken) let me record and playback with 7 TV tuners (OTA HD, clearQam and analog) and 4 GB of storage. I wish Cogeco would provide that kind of functionality.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyone have a link or a scan of the mailing they received I'd love to take a read! I didn't receive anything in Georgetown.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Whole House DVR

I think you are partially right.

I understand that there will be an interface device( called jayhawk) which will incorporate a NAS and allow utilization of connected STB's tuners either by coax or cat 5/6. This device will "see" connected STB's tuners and assign/share free tuners to view or record as required( up to 6 recordings and 2 viewings simultaneously). All connected STB's will be able to play back and manipulate recorded data from the NAS.

The issue is none of the Pace STB's available through Cogeco are compatible with the interface other than the RNG200 which is strange since it is a stand alone recorder. So different(but existing)Pace Boxes will be required . Disappointing since many have purchased non-compatible 550d's ,for example.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'd love more information on this. I'd switch from Bell in a heartbeat. Let's hope this available in some of the smaller locations as well (Ridgeway/Fort Erie) and not just in Burlington/Oakville.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Whole Home DVR

While officially announced, there is no mention of the timing of introduction. In fact ,there is no confirmation that Cogeco will remain with Pace and it's related platform.

I am sure that the majority of Cogeco subscribers don't care about this or own equipment, but ambiguous announcements such as this only serve to create hesitation in the subscriber base. The announcement was probably meant to create exactly this hesitation and prevent migration to competitors who have these features.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I asked about this at the storefront in St. Catharines last week. The rep said that they did plan to get it here, but had no information on dates.

·
Registered
38 Posts
August 28, 2012 The Whole Home Digital Video Recorder has arrived!

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/tv/whats_new_details.php?id=117

August 28, 2012
The Whole Home Digital Video Recorder has arrived!

The Whole Home Digital Video Recorder has arrived!

It is with pleasure that we announce the arrival of the Whole Home Digital Video Recorder (DVR)! You have 2 or 3 televisions? The Whole Home DVR is the HD TV solution designed for you.

With this recorder, you will now be able to view, record and pause live TV or your recordings from any TV connected in your home.

Free yourself from TV guides without missing a moment of your favourite programs.
Watch and record up to 6 HD TV shows simultaneously.
Pause a recorded show in one room and continue watching in a different room.
Schedule and manage your recordings from anywhere, using Remote Recorder online.

With the Whole Home DVR, all of your recorded content is accessible from any HD receiver on your network and the same recording can even be played on as many as 3 TVs at the same time!

Interested? You can get more information by clicking here or by contacting us at 1-866-261-4447.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I noticed the orange light come on my box last night around 1am. I figured it would either be a message or an update. I checked my messages, nothing. I unplugged my box and plugged it in 5 minutes later, same configuration numbers. I wonder what it could be. It's probably the Whole Home DVR, but I only have the one box/one HDTV anyway so it doesn't really interest me.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts