Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem. Cogeco server appears to be emptying my inbox every few weeks. Cogeco tech folks are trying to work out what's happening? It might be a quota thing, but I cannot understand why it deletes my own inbox too. It doesn't happen on an old Mac that's plugged in.

·
Super Moderator
57,120 Posts
If you're using IMAP settings, then the inbox on your computer will synch with the inbox on your server (webmail?) POP doesn't work that way, which you may have on your old Mac.

There may be a setting on the server for clearing out older e-mails. For example, I can set my deleted folder and spam folder to delete e-mails after a certain period of time. Look at your server settings.

Also, on your computer/server, occasionally move the e-mails from your inbox to various folders, where they should stay forever.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
As stated, IMAP typically stores emails on the server and syncs email status between all computers using IMAP. Changes made with any IMAP client will be reflected on all systems using IMAP. POP3 downloads the emails from the server to the local client and may either leave the emails or, depending on the client settings, delete the emails on the server. If a POP3 client is set to delete the emails on the server, the IMAP client will see the deletion and remove them locally. It's not a good ides to mix IMAP and POP3 unless the mechanisms are well known. Using IMAP on all clients is generally the preferred option.

If an mail agent such as Apple Mail is being used then it could be a setting in that. Some email clients have settings that automatically delete emails after a set time or using other criteria. If the cause cannot be found by other means, I suggest removing the affected account on all clients and re-configuring it. (It might be a good idea to backup important emails first.) Do this on all systems with email clients. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the mail agent, including removing settings, and reinstalling. I suggest using IMAP if possible. If POP3 must be used or is being use for archival purposes, make sure it leaves the emails on the server for use by IMAP clients.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Personally I would start by checking your old mac and checking the e-mail client, its very likely its set to connect using POP3. Now is a good time to change it to IMAP (if it supports it)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Change the password for your account. While you're updating each device that accesses the account, check for any settings that affect the downloading/deletion of email as suggested above. Changing the password will catch any devices you've forgotten about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts