Just wondering if it matters what esata hdd is used? There are tonnes of options out there but do you need one that is specifically suited for a DVR or more specifically this DVR? The drive will format once you connect it, right? If that's the case I'm not sure why it would make a difference.Which one? I was looking at the Western Digital 1tb DVR expander.
I wanted to note that from what I know the compatible (read as in tested and fully functional) HDDs are :
1-Western digital 500Gb
2-Western digital 1Tb
3-Seagate 500 Gb
Worth mentioning that for now Cogeco will not technically support the external HDDs, if you use one you'll need to refer yourself to the maker/distributer if anything happens
Certified devices:Using an external hard disk
Your cable service-provider may enable a feature that allows an external hard disk to work with your set-top. If this is the case, most major brands of serial ATA hard disk, connected to the SATA port, are supported.
You must not connect an external hard disk to the USB port.
If you do use an external hard disk, it gives extra recording capacity, but you cannot choose which disk (internal or external) your set-top will record onto. It automatically chooses the one with more empty space.
The recordings on the external hard disk are uniquely linked to the set-top on which they were made, so you cannot play them back or delete them with a different set-top.
Connecting an external hard disk
1. Stop any recording you are making to your set-top’s internal hard disk.
2. Turn off your set-top with the POWER button and then wait 60 seconds before disconnecting it from the wall AC socket. (You must not “hot plug” an external hard disk.)
3. Connect the external hard disk, using an appropriate cable, to the SATA connector on your set-top.
4. Apply power to the external hard disk.
5. Reconnect your set-top to the wall AC socket and turn it on with the POWER button.
If the external disk needs formatting, your set-top informs you by displaying a pop-up dialog box on your TV screen (see right).
6. Use the arrow and SELECT buttons to select YES, and the formatting begins.
Western Digital MyDVR Expander: 500GB: WDG1S5000, 1 TB: WDG1S10000;
Seagate DVR Expander: 500GB: ST30500SCA109-RK, 1 TB: ST310000SCA-109-RK
iOmega DVR Expander: 500GB: 34172