Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cogeco Pace RNG200n and eHDD Discussions (Split from Pace RNG200n Thread.

Which one? I was looking at the Western Digital 1tb DVR expander.
Just wondering if it matters what esata hdd is used? There are tonnes of options out there but do you need one that is specifically suited for a DVR or more specifically this DVR? The drive will format once you connect it, right? If that's the case I'm not sure why it would make a difference.

Haven't used an esata hdd on a DVR before so not really sure how this works. Forgive the newb-ish question.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Certain devices tend to be very picky about the specifications of the drive connected.

The only real way to find out if one will work or not is to try it. More often than not, the drive will work just fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cogeco Pace RNG200n and eHDD discussions.

Someone on BBR reports stated 3 HDD models that were altready tested out...

I wanted to note that from what I know the compatible (read as in tested and fully functional) HDDs are :
1-Western digital 500Gb
2-Western digital 1Tb
3-Seagate 500 Gb
Worth mentioning that for now Cogeco will not technically support the external HDDs, if you use one you'll need to refer yourself to the maker/distributer if anything happens

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added the WD 1 TB Esata. So far, so good. Used percent went from 100% to 33%.

Hopefully it will be 100% full again by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cogeco/Pace Esata install instructions (external HDD)

From the Pace manual:
Using an external hard disk
Your cable service-provider may enable a feature that allows an external hard disk to work with your set-top. If this is the case, most major brands of serial ATA hard disk, connected to the SATA port, are supported.

You must not connect an external hard disk to the USB port.

If you do use an external hard disk, it gives extra recording capacity, but you cannot choose which disk (internal or external) your set-top will record onto. It automatically chooses the one with more empty space.

The recordings on the external hard disk are uniquely linked to the set-top on which they were made, so you cannot play them back or delete them with a different set-top.

Connecting an external hard disk
1. Stop any recording you are making to your set-top’s internal hard disk.
2. Turn off your set-top with the POWER button and then wait 60 seconds before disconnecting it from the wall AC socket. (You must not “hot plug” an external hard disk.)
3. Connect the external hard disk, using an appropriate cable, to the SATA connector on your set-top.
4. Apply power to the external hard disk.
5. Reconnect your set-top to the wall AC socket and turn it on with the POWER button.
If the external disk needs formatting, your set-top informs you by displaying a pop-up dialog box on your TV screen (see right).
6. Use the arrow and SELECT buttons to select YES, and the formatting begins.
Certified devices:

Western Digital MyDVR Expander: 500GB: WDG1S5000, 1 TB: WDG1S10000;
Seagate DVR Expander: 500GB: ST30500SCA109-RK, 1 TB: ST310000SCA-109-RK
iOmega DVR Expander: 500GB: 34172

·
Registered
35 Posts
Answers about compatible HDD's seems a bit ambiguous so I've gone to the source and have asked Pace if they have a list HDD's they support. Also asked what size is supported. Don't wanna buy a 2TB drive if I can't use the full space.

We'll see what they have to say; more to come...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Compatible HDD List

I must've missed the FAQ section on their website but here is the response I received from Pace Tech Support:

Q: What external hard drives does Pace recommend?
Pace recommends:
Western Digital MyDVR Expander: 500GB: WDG1S5000, 1 TB: WDG1S10000;
Seagate DVR Expander: 500GB: ST30500SCA109-RK, 1 TB: ST310000SCA-109-RK
iOmega DVR Expander: 500GB: 34172

Q: Will USB / e-SATA combination drives work?
No. Pace does not support USB / e-SATA combination drives.

Q: Can I use my e-SATA drive on multiple STB’s?
Yes. However, you will only be able to play back content on the STB that originally recorded the content. You will not be able to see or delete content created on another device.

Q: What is the largest e-SATA drive supported on Pace DVRs?
Pace STBs can currently support up to 700GB. However, Pace is working to support up to 1.6 Terabytes.

Q: Can I control which drive [internal / e-SATA] the STB will store the recordings?
The STB will automatically record onto the drive with the most available space. You can not control which drive it will use to store the recordings.

Q: Does Pace having any plans to support additional external hard drives?
Yes, Pace is currently qualifying additional e-SATA only external hard drives.

Regards,
Pace Technical Support

While there is 'recommended' list I would also speculate that any other external HDD would probably work just the same. That is just my speculation tho and not a suggestion or advice. Ratatosk posted something that listed WD and Seagate but the re-post did not specify model #'s. Personally I'm going to take the risk and pick up a 2TB Fantom GreenDrive and see how that works out. I imagine the STB will support the 1.6TB that Pace is working on sooner than later.

Hope this helps those of you looking to make the most of this STB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
External HDD Install

Installation should be pretty simple but I might as well post that as well since Pace was nice enough to include it:

Installation
1. Power cord must be disconnected from Pace STB at the time an e-SATA drive is connected.
**NOTE: If an e-SATA drive is connected while the system is running the e-SATA drive will not be recognized.

2. e-SATA drive must be connected utilizing the SATA port via an e-SATA cable.

3. Once the e-SATA drive is connected, boot-up the STB by connecting the power cord into the back of the STB. Boot time should not be affected when a properly working e-SATA drive is connected.

4. Once the e-SATA drive is connected and the STB is powered on, the user will be prompted to format the e-SATA drive. This will mate the e-SATA drive and its contents to that STB. Formatting of the e-SATA drive will only be required the first time the e-SATA drive is connected to the STB.
**NOTE: Content recorded on the STB can only be viewed from that specific device. Content can not be transferred or viewed on a home computer or any other electronic device.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry james99, not trying to steal your thunder with the redundant posts. My posts were split from the owners thread, didn't know this thread existed otherwise wouldn't have need to go through the effort of asking Pace about it and posting details. At least we can say the subject is closely covered. :)

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a problem. It needed a new thread and the mods compiled several threads from the other thread into this one.

These instructions are also valid for the 777D Pace which a few folks on this forum purchased prior to the release of the 200n.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Western digital

I just purchased a Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander to mate with my Pace RNG200N Dallas. I am with Cogeco. I must say that the set up was flawless and the operation and playback transparent. I turned on the TV and Pace PVR. I then unplugged the Pace PVR. I hooked up the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander with the included esata cable and then powered on the Western Digital . I waited 1 minute and then turned the Pace Dallas back on. After a booting up sequence with the Pace Dallas, I saw a screen asking if I wanted to format the Western Digital. I selected yes and the screen just went to my blue screen for a brief 10 seconds or so and then the channel picture reappeared with no other notification. Just to be sure the Western Digital had enough time to format I walked away for 5 minutes. When I came back, I had to wait for the Dallas to reload the program guide so I could check the PVR recording space. Sure enough, it went to 1/3 the size of the previouse filled space. This night I watched the Leafs game and American Idol without a hitch. So , it works like a charm.
One cautionary note though. When I went to Best Buy to purchase it, the rack slot it was placed on contained the older box version of the unit. It was big and orange. The newer models were lined up further down the shelf with no shelf sticker price . The boxes are smaller and mostly black in colour. The reason I mention this is because I have read many threads that report the included esata cable as being defective. People report having no recorder response with the included cable until they purchased even a cheap $4 dollar esata cable. And once connected, everything worked for them. The cable that came with my unit appeared quit well built and I could not have experienced a smoother set up.

DLPnut

·
Registered
114 Posts
^ what included eSATA cable? the ones at Vansickle/Louth are in the standard blue Cogeco box with no HDMI or eSATA cable. What are you talking about with the orange boxes? I saw none of those.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think he's talking about the WD DVR Expander (and its box), not the Cogeco receiver.

Glad to hear it's working well Dlpnut!

·
Registered
38 Posts
2 TB ext Sata

I purchased my Pace box on 26 Dec and I had a 2TB external HD with NextStar CX enclosure I attached it as per the forum and it worked like a charm. I wasn't sure how much of the HD the Pace saw then I realized by going into the diagnostics it shows the internal HD and 2 TB external

1 - 20 of 68 Posts