Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wasn't asking about River TV and other third party ISP and IPTV services.
The legal differences between Cable TV and OTT available on any ISP were discussed in that thread. No reason to take this thread off topic to rehash them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I posted this over at DSL also....Has anyone found out about picture quality? How does the bitrate compare with Tivo 4k cable? Also as mentioned earlier, what modem comes with it and can it be bridged unlike CODA 4589 when you have Tivo?
I'm posting this to receive up-dates. I'm considering Epico or Fibe and would like to know about anyones experiences with this service. Compression on 4k, cloud playback quality, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I posted this over at DSL Reports for those of you that might not see it.

FYI: I was a Tivo user with a good Loyalty Discount, I called Cogeco as soon as Epico was available in my area asking if I could switch to it at the advertised price of 145.00 for the X-Stream package (pick 30 channels and 360Mbps). 145.00 is what I was paying for 1 gig and My Mix 10 with the 4k Tivo and another HD receiver. I was told that I could not get the advertised price of 145.00 as it was for new customers and that I would have to pay almost 190.00, stubborn as I am I called back a couple days ago and asked them to cancel my cable TV. I was asked why and I told them that because I could not get Epico at the advertised price that I would cancel and check back in a year or two as a new customer to see what was going on. The lady, who was extremely nice, asked me to hold on for a minute, she came back offering me Epico Plus package (20 channels) at a price slightly higher than the advertised price for new customers. I answered with thanks but I would still like to cancel, once again she asked me to hold on. When she came back she now offered Epico X-Stream at the advertised price but only two receivers. I then explained that I would want everything or nothing, the 1 gig, the 30 channels and all three receivers. She put me on hold came back and offered everything but cheaper than the advertised price, I got the Epico X-Sream 1 Gig, 30 channels, 500 hours of cloud recording with 3 receivers for 145.00, 10 bucks less than the advertised price and the same as what I was paying for 10 channels and one Tivo recorder and another regular receiver. I then asked her to sign me up, she also stated that the deal would be good for 3 years.

Now my thoughts on the Epico TV, I love it, image quality looks the same, having all my apps together is sweet, going back to watch previously aired shows is awesome, the wifi analyzer app is great, it even tells you what wifi channels have the best signal, the voice search works well, the apps play 4k and the price is right. So far the only negative things I notice, unless I'm doing something wrong, is that all recordings, mine and my woman's from her receiver, show together in the recordings section even though we have separate users set up. Also I tried Plex and it couldn't play my movies that I have off of my NAS.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts