Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a notice with my bill that rates are increasing on April 1st. Most of the cable and phone packages are increasing (internet shows no change).

My bill will increase $6 per month.

$2 for Digital Select 3
$2 for TMN Package
$2 for Phone Package

I would be more tolerable of the increase had our area rec'd some of the new HD channels that have been released in the last year (HistoryHD, BoldHD, MXSHD, MFunHD or WPIXHD and KTLAHD).

Time to review the bill and cut some of the unused services... that will easily be more than the $ increase.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cable internet is staying the same for now. Simplest solution is to drop phone and go with voip.ms which is what I did. Still waiting for that phone number porting (three weeks and counting).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the other increases?
Basically:

All Digital Select Packages are Increasing by $2 / Month
TMN Package increasing by $2 / Month
All Digital Phone Packages (except basi line) increasing by $2 / Month

No other changes (ie rental rates or Internet services)

·
Registered
98 Posts
You guys have it lucky. Your prices are still far below Shaw cable`s ridiculous inflation. Shaw Cable with the increase will be at 39.95 for bundled internet, 49 dollars standalone. For Basic cable it will be 38.95 and for digital it is 62.95

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think most people understand on here that Cogeco and the the rest of robbers annually do this every spring. They will NEVER stop it as long as the public keep forking their hard earned dollars to them. We all know this will NEVER happen and they know it too.
Until the sub base drastically dropped off and people cancelled their subs it wont change. There comes a point in how much I'm willing to pay for my sub,and its reaching the point of cancelling Cogeco and stick with my OTA setup.
I will get my sports fix elsewhere:)
It really is pathetic if you think about it that probably most of us only watch 5-10 channels at best on a very regular basis and what we are paying to only watch those channels is sad but as they say "Only in Canada"

Cheers:

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's also gotten a lot worse for trying to keep those 5 or 10 channels you want...

A few years back they stole moviepix, moved it into a $$$ package, then just last fall they stole speed. I was on a select plus 3 package just to get 6 more decentish channels that I might have watched, then they started sneaking those out of the packages, and also the channels like dejavu, action and diva changed focus so much they were just the same old network trash. Dropped that subscription. Pretty soon there's just gonna be 80 clones of FOX on basic, and probably another 50 in the package channels. I can't even stand to watch discovery any more, everything on there is so dumbed down, you sit an hour to get 5 mins worth of actual info in a documentary between the breaks and 5 minute summaries and 5 minute recaps before and after them. Some apparently "cable only" channels are so commercial heavy now, I can't believe they have the cheek to be charging for them. Sometimes they can just about squeeze a 1:30 movie into 3 hours if they cut it all to heck.

I did kid myself that I needed to keep the weather network, but I am finding that CHCH out of Hamilton and a couple of the Buffalo stations cover my area adequately with frequent, quality, reports, so even that last thread tying me to Ma Cogecos apron strings has blown away. Really, I've just been too lazy to set up OTA properly, now they've got me "motivated".

So it's not "just a toonie" getting me mad, it's the fact that even if they kept the price the same the more decent channels are getting stolen from the lower subscription levels and quality is spiralling downward om the others. When you find that your household mostly watches channels that are FTA anyway, you feel like a chump for even signing up in the first place.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Inflation is rather normal; everything rises in price every year...

Dunno where you guys have been living in the past 40 years but everything, every year, gets augmented... Even our salaries... Thing is of course our salaries are moving slower up the ramp than the rest but I disgress, I could live with just 2 cars, only one house and less restaurants than presently

I also find it rather funny that you guys blame Cogeco for the channel programmation...

And concerning the channels that get moved around; you have to understand how it works when the distributors make their deals with the service providers to understand why Cogeco is moving them around different packages and often end with just a few channels per pack...

I understand Cogeco needs to pay a raise to their employees (as every employer), that gaz now raised 25% this year and that they need to keep the vans fueled to service people etc...

·
Banned
364 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like we have to be understanding for a lot of things. Sometimes it's easier to cancel than "understand" how everything we once enjoyed has now changed and is crushing not just our wallets but our souls.

I pay a lot for cable TV. There's a lot of garbage. I can't cut out any of the garbage because I pay $54 just for Digital Plus 1 (I only have one theme pack - Sports). But I also pay for the TMN package ($20) and the SSP ($30). Throw in the HD Access fee ($6) and two more HD/DVRs ($34), the LPIF and HST and I pay around $160 - $170 for cable TV each month. Other than TMN and the SSP, I maybe watch 10-15 channels that aren't available OTA and basically all of those are in HD. But I have to pay for all those SD channels I never watch and a lot of other crap.

If I could eliminate 60% of the programming I receive, and pay 30-40% less, I'd be ecstatic to be a Cogeco customer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Add me to the camp of "pissed off at the new charges".
Athough, it did prompt me to some action, so maybe a blessing in disguise.

I was paying $120 per month for cable. Select 3 and HD with PVR, and movies.
I have just reduced to Select 1 and dropped the movies. Should save around $40 per month.

Luckily looks like UBB is not going to be an issue, so I have 300 GB per month with Teksavvy DSL for around $36 per month. (includes $4 charge for MLPPP to get around throttle).
Speed is not as fast as cable, but if you have patience, you can end up with a LOT more content and MUCH cheaper than cable.

Home phone also with Teksavvy over same old Bell POTS. Exact same service as used to be with Bell, but cheaper. And great long distance rates with no "plan" BS or network access charges.

I love that more alternatives are slowing coming into play.
I want to completely do away with Cable and go OTA but kids live and die with Family channel.
One day.

AKS

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Has Cogeco considered off setting these prices increases by removing required channels that get carriage fees from digital basic like the number of religion channels for example?

Although their may be rising costs channels that don't have the clout of a major media co (Astral threatening a price increase for TMN if Teletoon Retro is removed from basic) channels like this with liminted appeal would be easy to drop to keep fees in line.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Religious channels are actually notoriously cheap from a wholesale perspective, so even IF they were removed, you would only likely see a price change of about $.10 - $.20.

Also, Teletoon Retro (and Teletoon for that matter) are not owned outright by Astral (Astral/Corus 50/50) and they operate as an independent company from both Astral and Corus. So your thought about forced carriage to reduce TMN price increases is highly unlikely, especially given that Cogeco raised their TMN price by $2.00.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts