Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've had Cogeco's home phone for about a year now and I have no complaints about the quality and it is cheaper than the same Bell phone package which is a plus.
However we have run into a problem with the equipment it seems. First it was a faulty battery in the modem which was replaced without question. Then it was a problem with our phone and internet connection being dropped without reason. We know it is not a cable problem as our cable TV still works.
Cogeco sent a tech out who could find no problem with the signal levels or the modem.
Last night we lost our phone and internet again, I went through the whole gambit of resetting the modem, unplugging the modem and resetting it (which seems silly with a battery backup but that is what the tech on the cell phone said to do.
Eventually the phone line and internet came back up.
We asked for a service call because loosing phone service is a problem with 2 small kids. The tech on the phone asked if we had a router, my wife said yes because we do. The agent said well since you have a router there will be a service call fee.
It's a good thing my wife was on the phone, I told my wife to ask what two blinking phone line lights on the modem means, the agent responded oh that means there is a signal problem. My wife then asked if our router could cause a signal problem with the modem and the tech said no, so my wife said, well if the router can't cause a signal problem and our modem is showing a signal problem when we loose phone and internet do you think it is still a router issue? No answer
We have a service call setup for next week.
That's the end of my rant.

Has anyone else had similar phone/internet service issues with Cogeco? It's getting to the point where I might have to switch to a different provider for VIOP and get a Cell for the house for emergency calls.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hugh, I guess I should have specified that I don't have an issue with sound quality :)

Bell in my house is the evil of evils and I'm a share holder in the company. I think that statement says a lot.
In short we moved, we're given a number that Bell no longer owned, took 2 weeks and countless tech visits to sort out. We were charged for DSL that they could not provide and the last straw was the phone agent calling my wife a dumb <blank> <blank> (I think you can figure out what was said).

graeme86, You know you might be right about the rain. It was very wet yesterday, it doesn't happen every time it rains but I think the last few times it has been wet outside. If it happened every time it rained today would have been the first day with phone service in a week. (ugg)
I think I'll get my wife to mention that and request a modem swap out.

JamesK, We are writing down all the outages now, especially after the phone call last night. Now in the year and a bit we've been with Cogeco we've had one bad phone agent and that was last night. The support at Cogeco now compaired with 10 years ago (the last time I was a cogeco customer) doesn't even compare they've advanced light years from where they used to be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts